Something Annoying Carnival Does With Your Credit Card

dljones

That is the same approach I use. One credit card for all normal monthly expenses. All cruises and airline tickets are charged there as well. The card is paid off in full every single month.

One would think that people that have reached adult status would be able to figure out how to make the most of their money rather than doing the wrong thing and then blaming it on someone else. They probably believed the mortgage approach several years ago that if you made $40,000 a year you could afford a $500,00.00 house with $0 down and an adjustable rate mortgage. Good luck with that approach! :mad:

Wow- pass judgement much? Just because you use debit cards and/or cash does not make you irresponsible

Why do people become so mean on these boards? It seems it is always the posters who are very seasoned ....:(

I think it makes them feel important?

Thankfully, most people on these boards are nice and offer helpful advise. I only hang out here when I have a cruise booked which is once a year. :eek: The idea just popped into my head and I made a post about it. I did it just for fun really, nothing else. If you meet one SOB a day that is one thing, if everyone you meet is an SOB then you better get the mirror out lol!

Edited by dljones

Debit Cards... but not being a banker, I usually refer to them as credit cards, like all facial tissue is Kleenex. :o

Thanks for the clarification.

I am not a banker either :) and know very little about debit cards, since I do not have one and DH only uses his at the ATM occasionally to get cash. Otherwise, we charge everything to our credit card and pay it off monthly when the bill comes in. Prefer hanging onto my money as long as I can. LOL!

But do love learning all kinds of new things. Interesting about "holds" and how they work.

Interesting about "holds" and how they work.

Oh, I understand the logic behind it... basically it is to prevent the service provider of being stuck with a bill that the customer can't pay. The unfortunate part is the customer racks up bills on their card - debit or credit.

Yes, they do fall off in time, but then you are presented with the entire bill to be paid in full while the bank still has your funds on hold. My experience has been that those charges always decrease your available balance contrary to what some have suggested. So if you have $1500 in credit or cash and you've had $1000 worth of holds on you account and your final bill is $1500 then you are screwed.

Despite the fact that this particular subject has come up before is irrelevant. Further, it doesn't imply that some people are ignorant as to how debit/credit cards work nor does it imply that "you should know better." And lastly, I would bet you "dollars to donuts" this issue comes up on every freaking cruise! :D

Edited by dljones

And lastly, I would bet you "dollars to donuts" this issue comes up on every freaking cruise! :D

That's why many cruise lines have signs in the check-in area telling pax about holds and how they work. Of course, many don't take the time to read said signs;).

Despite the fact that this particular subject has come up before is irrelevant. Further, it doesn't imply that some people are ignorant as to how debit/credit cards work nor does it imply that "you should know better." And lastly, I would bet you "dollars to donuts" this issue comes up on every freaking cruise! :D

What does it imply when a person does not know that vendors put holds on credit/debit cards like the OP? To me it does show ignorance, what would you call it if someone lacks understanding of how things operate and then complains about it?

What does it imply when a person does not know that vendors put holds on credit/debit cards like the OP? To me it does show ignorance, what would you call it if someone lacks understanding of how things operate and then complains about it?

You know, I just think I will go take one of my nerve pills rofl....

I need something with a "V" in it... Vicodin, Valium, Vicks Dayquil, Ventolin (oh sorry, that is Albuterol)... Or maybe better, something with an "X" in it like Xanax, Xolox, Doxycycline Hyclate (oh, sorry again, that is an antibiotic, but I'm sure it will help rofl)....:rolleyes:

I think I need another beer ;)

That is the same approach I use. One credit card for all normal monthly expenses. All cruises and airline tickets are charged there as well. The card is paid off in full every single month.

One would think that people that have reached adult status would be able to figure out how to make the most of their money rather than doing the wrong thing and then blaming it on someone else. They probably believed the mortgage approach several years ago that if you made $40,000 a year you could afford a $500,00.00 house with $0 down and an adjustable rate mortgage. Good luck with that approach! :mad:

Sounds like the OP doesn't have a problem paying for the items or services purchased, but was surprised to find out that for a period of time the held funds in their account for those purchase are doubled......so I guess the OP would need one million dollars in their account to purchase that five hundred thousand dollar house you speak of.

Edited by keith75

You know, I just think I will go take one of my nerve pills rofl....

I need something with a "V" in it... Vicodin, Valium, Vicks Dayquil, Ventolin (oh sorry, that is Albuterol)... Or maybe better, something with an "X" in it like Xanax, Xolox, Doxycycline Hyclate (oh, sorry again, that is an antibiotic, but I'm sure it will help rofl)....:rolleyes:

I think I need another beer ;)

I'm on my 3rd jack and coke. It's doing the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do the same thing.

I never use a Debit Card...I shred mine.

I use credit cards for every purchase that I make. Then I pay off the cards at the end of the month. I gain points and nobody has access to my bank account. Hold charges are then a non issue.

(This isn't just for cruises, I do it all year long.)

Why do people become so mean on these boards? It seems it is always the posters who are very seasoned ....:(

You are absolutely right. I am the author of that post, and when I read your quote of what I wrote, I couldn't believe I actually wrote it. Sort of like when I pass a mirror these days and can not believe the old man I see.

I deeply apologize, especially to the poster to whom it was directed.

You are absolutely right. I am the author of that post, and when I read your quote of what I wrote, I couldn't believe I actually wrote it. Sort of like when I pass a mirror these days and can not believe the old man I see.

I deeply apologize, especially to the poster to whom it was directed.

Hey Billie5,

I am the OP so I suppose it was directed at me lol? It was kind of funny all the responses. Must have hit a nerve I guess. Still, I have to say, even though I am fully aware of companies putting holds on credit/debit cards it still bothers me. It was just my little rant against the "machine!" BTW, screw the mirror rofl... :D

Sounds like the OP doesn't have a problem paying for the items or services purchased, but was surprised to find out that for a period of time the held funds in their account for those purchase are doubled......so I guess the OP would need one million dollars in their account to purchase that five hundred thousand dollar house you speak of.

No I don't mind paying for service rendered. I just wish that I had said million dollars AND a five hundred thousand dollar house lol....

This. I don't want to constantly have to monitor my account and make trips to Guest Services or a kiosk to replenish my S&S with cash.

The last time I was on the Liberty they had these little kiosk machines similar to an ATM. Their usage allowed you to review charges and add cash without getting line at Guest Services. I'm one of those cruisers who likes to know where every nickel is and control our spending. Between our room's TV and the kiosk I was all set for success.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app