Minor traveling with birth certificate only?

dasphr

the two pictured above have no passports and have been on 11 cruises between them. No picture id either.

Thanks for the tip on not having to get passport for the kids, my wife & I were just talking about the hassle of going and getting them for the kids when we came across this topic.

If you don't mind me asking, out of the 11 times taking your young boys, did you/or your son come across any pitfalls, like not having some type of picture ID for them... I would hate to invest in my big trip and get all the way down to Miami and have any problems...

Did I mention I have "Murphy Law" tattooed on my forehead it seems sometimes ;)

Matt

Thanks for the tip on not having to get passport for the kids, my wife & I were just talking about the hassle of going and getting them for the kids when we came across this topic.

If you don't mind me asking, out of the 11 times taking your young boys, did you/or your son come across any pitfalls, like not having some type of picture ID for them... I would hate to invest in my big trip and get all the way down to Miami and have any problems...

Did I mention I have "Murphy Law" tattooed on my forehead it seems sometimes ;)

Matt

absolutely never been a problem. everyone who works around the ships i.e. guards immigration etc knows kids are not required to have ids.

Mr Matt

To take your kids out of the country without their mother, you will need a letter (which you or she can write) stating that she has given you her permission to take them out of the country.

It has to be signed by her and it should be notarized.

Will you be asked to present this letter at the port? Maybe, maybe not.

But isn't it better to have the letter and not be asked, than to be asked and not have it?

Sole custody doesn't matter. Last names don't matter.

I have travelled with my son without his father many times when he was underage. Sometimes they asked to see the letter of permission, sometimes they did not. Now that he is 18, I do not need the letter any longer.

Good luck.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

This is interesting information as I am one parent taking my minor son on a cruise.

(my wife doesn't want to go; we're doing a father/son trip).

I asked NCL through their chat feature about needing a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent and was told I wouldn't need this. And there is nothing on the NCL site addressing this issue.

I think I will go ahead and get the notarized letter because the last thing I need is having one more thing to worry about.

This is interesting information as I am one parent taking my minor son on a cruise.

(my wife doesn't want to go; we're doing a father/son trip).

I asked NCL through their chat feature about needing a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent and was told I wouldn't need this. And there is nothing on the NCL site addressing this issue.

I think I will go ahead and get the notarized letter because the last thing I need is having one more thing to worry about.

Always better to have too much than not enough. Not having enough can cause you to miss the ship.

We sailed two years ago and used birth certificates for my 1 yo DD and 6 yo DS. That being said, my brother was also suppose to go on the cruise. They brought their son's birth certificate BUT it was a copy and not the original, with the holographic stamp. To make a long story short, they did not come on the cruise with us.

There shouldn't be any issues with just a BC as long as the minor is with both parents~if not then they should have a notarized letter from other parent stating it is okay for them to take them out of the country~

Actually, this is actually not needed with NCL as long as the child is traveling with at least ONE parent. I called NCL TWICE a week ago just to confirm I was understanding this correctly on the website:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

To answer the OP, yes, ORIGINAL BC (with the seal/stamp) are fine as long as the cruise begins and ends in the U.S.A.

Edited by ChiMimi69