need advice/assistance please

Biffer1997

Everyone on here is so knowledgeable that I thought I would see if anyone could help.

Sadly, my father passed away very recently. He and my mom were scheduled to take the Miracle ship to Hawaii this coming Saturday. She would be traveling with my boyfriend, his parents, and myself. My dad's wish was for my mom to still go. A friend of hers would like to go with her in his spot. I believe they are booked the early saver rate, but wondered if it was any worth my effort to call Carnival to see if this would be a circumstance that they would allow a passenger name change, or what would need to be done to see if my mom's friend could buy into the cabin. She booked thru a travel agency, and does have travel insurance thru that agency.

The other issue is that her friend doesn't have a passport, but I think if she could get booked she is willing to go up to the nearest passport facility and get it expedited.

Any advice?

I am so sorry for your loss. This cruise might be the perfect grief counselor for you all though.

Call carnival immediately. I don't recall if there is a name change policy under the early saver but they are the experts and will be able to help

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I just looked at the T&C for early saver and name changed are but permitted. Call them anyway. Explain the situation. Since they have insurance, it will cover the portion if the cruise paid for the second person in cabin. They may replace the second person with some adjustments to pricing though.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

First off, I too am sorry for the loss of your father. I lost mine less than a month ago, so I understand your pain.

There is a $50 name change fee associated with ES bookings and as long as one of the original people are sailing in the cabin you can change the second person. But I do think there are time limits to making these changes.

Since the cruise was booked thru a TA all changes will need to go thru them. I might still call Carnival and ask about the specifics just to be sure your TA has the correct information.

The Passport issue is not something I can give information. Can they really do it in 4 days?

I hope things work out for you and your family. I am glad your mom is going on the cruise. It is what Dad wanted.

So sorry to hear of your loss... As far as the passport, everyone's opinion is different on here, but each time I have sailed, I have used long form birth certificates for our family, and have never had an issue. In SC, they cost $12 and they print them out while you are at the records office.

Mos Def Call Carnival as the early saver rate should allow to do a name change.....but if she is booked through a travel agent then Carnival may not talk to anyone regarding the booking other than the travel agent........I would have the travel agent make the call......regarding the passport like others have said if it is a "closed loop cruise"(meaning leaving from and returning to the same port) then a birth certificate and drivers license should be fine just make sure the BC is an official one from vital records or your state etc.... And for the expedited passport I think it would still take a few weeks.

Good Luck and Sorry for your loss!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss... But I do have a question of the need for a passport. You are going on a Hawaiian cruise. If you are not going to any foreign ports, do you need a passport? I would ask Carnival that question too.

Steve

Sorry for your loss.

Cruise is the beginning of the Miracle repo'ing to Alaska. She is sailing Long Beach-Hawaii-Vancouver. A passport is needed for this itin.

My understanding is that NO changes of pax can be made under ES. For most other fare rates changes can be made for $50.

Have the TA do the legwork with the insurance and Carnival.

If ES, Mom would be reimbursed Dad's fare thru insurance (most likely, check the policy) and Friend then would pay the going rate.

Also, since the cruise was booked thru a TA all dealings with Carnival must go thru her.

Edited by SadieN

Sorry for your loss.

Cruise is the beginning of the Miracle repo'ing to Alaska. She is sailing Long Beach-Hawaii-Vancouver. A passport is needed for this itin.

This is correct as I am getting on the Miracle in Vancouver as OP is getting off.

My understanding is that NO changes of pax can be made under ES. For most other fare rates changes can be made for $50.

Hubby and I were booked ES a couple of years ago and had a similar situation. We were told as long as one of the original passengers were still sailing it could be done. I also booked last week using ES for a family cruise in 2015. I specifically asked about needing to change a passenger if needed. Yes it can be done but there are some stipulations.

Have the TA do the legwork with the insurance and Carnival.

If ES, Mom would be reimbursed Dad's fare thru insurance (most likely, check the policy) and Friend then would pay the going rate.

Also, since the cruise was booked thru a TA all dealings with Carnival must go thru her.

Yes her TA will need to do the work.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Update: I had called carnival sun morning and informed them of the situation. They were going to note the booking account so when travel agent called, carnival would work with them. Problem is, my moms friend was not able to get it worked out so mom is going by herself in the cabin. The travel agent told her to leave him on booking...when I checked her docs this evening, his name is still there but his checkin info was deleted.

What is the key phrase should she say at checkin so she doesn't get charged? Or is it too late since carnival is aware?

Sorry for your loss.

If this is a closed loop cruise there is no need for a passport, but you will need a birth certificate with a raised seal.

It really is time to stop the raised seal statements. Just not true. Hasn't been for years. Raised seals are a thing of the past.