Lapland, Arctic Circle & Santa Claus Tour

lindaa

Went last July--primarily for the experience of going beyond the Arctic Circle! Plane to -can't remember- bus to Tour co to don life jackets, parkas, etc to board boat for cruise down river. (It was cloudy and cold, but the parkas helped.) Champagne at the "circle crossing" then on to a replica Lapland village/reindeer farm?. Petted/feed the deer. College age kids performed native dances, dinner of reindeer stew and mashed potatoes in typical "tent." Beautiful landscape, interesting tour, glad I did it, but can't say it was spectacular. I'll probably never get the chance for the Arctic Circle again--which was why I did it in the first place.

Note: After leaving the boat we had to walk along a slippery raised boardwalk (about a foot wide) over the swamp/marsh for some distance to get to the farm, so this would not be good for people with mobility or balance problems.

Touristy, clean, bathroom break for bus back to airport. There is a line drawn through the cobblestone square to denote the Arctic Circle. It provides a good photo op. Also group photo with Santa. Good souvenier shops. I sent my grandchildren Christmas cards (in July for Dec.) with post marks from Santa Claus. Not a destination, but a good break.

Archived