Gluten Free get dining package?

NCterri

We just booked our first NCL cruise. We are going on the Rome cruise tour then the Epic in August. I was wondering if it would be safer for me to buy the dining package? Does anyone know when you make reservations if there is a special request line? Gluten free was not listed when I made cruise reservation. I will call and let them know.

We're on the Sun for an Alaska cruise and my BIL is on a gluten free diet. All we had to do was let our TA inform NCL when she booked us so it will be on his booking list. Don't think there is a "Gluten Free Package" to speak of, all he has to do is contact the Maitre de when he boards and they will send the dietician over to help with diet likes/dislikes and a menu. When you go to one of the MDR's and they swip your card, it will show any dietary restrictions you have and a separate menu will be brought to your table, at least this what I've been told and read here.

Just contact your TA or give NCL a call and have them add that info to your file. Hope this was of some help.

cheers...the Ump...:D

I eat gluten-free due to a wheat allergy. There's no need to buy the dining package unless you want to eat in specialty restaurants every night. There are plenty of GF options all over the ship, including the MDR and buffet. (Just make sure to ask the staff in the buffet about what's safe.) The big important thing is to let them know ahead of time, and then you'll want to meet with the maitre d' each day to choose your meals for the following day. I've found that the maitre d' is usually concerned just with the MDRs, and they just tell you to tell the waiters in the specialty restaurant that you're GF. I've never had a problem, never gotten sick, and always felt very well taken care of. The specialty dining package is a great addition if you want it, but if you're only getting it because of being GF, there's no need.

With GF needs, you have to email the Access Desk or call them 30-60 days before you cruise, so you have time.

We just booked our first NCL cruise. We are going on the Rome cruise tour then the Epic in August. I was wondering if it would be safer for me to buy the dining package? Does anyone know when you make reservations if there is a special request line? Gluten free was not listed when I made cruise reservation. I will call and let them know.

From NCL's site:

If you have a need that has not been discussed, we encourage you to contact us at the Access Desk regarding your special requirements or requests and our policies and procedures. Please call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to
, or have your travel agent contact us.

Special Medical Dietary Requirements and Diabetes

Guest with food allergies should contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures concerning special diets and your specific allergies prior to your cruise. Because the vessels are supplied all over the world, it may be easier to meet your specific food allergy requirements in some countries, but very difficult in others. We can arrange to have no sugar and low sodium meals for guests with those specific medical dietary restrictions upon request. Refrigerators are available in many staterooms for storing insulin

And yes, NCL is very good with allergies and special requests as long as the passenger is pro-active too. If one just goes onboard and expect that their not-pre-arranged requests can be handled without extra waits, they are going to have a bad time. (This has happened, really! :) The passenger came back to CC after the cruise and wrote a lengthy, bashing review about their cruise and poor food service because they apparently expected to be able to go anywhere anytime and immediately get glutein-free meals.)

Edited by Demonyte

From NCL's site:

If you have a need that has not been discussed, we encourage you to contact us at the Access Desk regarding your special requirements or requests and our policies and procedures. Please call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to
, or have your travel agent contact us.

Special Medical Dietary Requirements and Diabetes

Guest with food allergies should contact the Access Desk to discuss Norwegian Cruise Line's policies and procedures concerning special diets and your specific allergies prior to your cruise. Because the vessels are supplied all over the world, it may be easier to meet your specific food allergy requirements in some countries, but very difficult in others. We can arrange to have no sugar and low sodium meals for guests with those specific medical dietary restrictions upon request. Refrigerators are available in many staterooms for storing insulin

And yes, NCL is very good with allergies and special requests as long as the passenger is pro-active too. If one just goes onboard and expect that their not-pre-arranged requests can be handled without extra waits, they are going to have a bad time. (This has happened, really! :) The passenger came back to CC after the cruise and wrote a lengthy, bashing review about their cruise and poor food service because they apparently expected to be able to go anywhere anytime and immediately get glutein-free meals.)

I recall that one. After all of the bashing the person finally admitted that they never even mentioned needing GF while on the ship let alone in advance. :rolleyes:

If you want a special meal in the MDR, just make contact the night before, and they will come up with a menu for you. Otherwise, just let them know you are gf, and they will tell you what you can eat on the main menu (I found the MDR better with this than the specialties - we could not ask them to make something off of the menu in advance).

Just a FYI - they have gluten free pizza, so if you want it in the buffet, let them know ahead of time, and you can even have it delivered to your cabin (like the regular pizza service). There are so many naturally gluten free options, as well - dd11 usually just stuck to them.

We sail getaway in June and DS is celiac so he's gluten free. I notified our NCL PCC when I booked. When I get back I'll do a gluten free review on here so others with this same issue can know options. I personally feel like there are two places we can vacay and know our child's dietary health is safe... Cruises and Disney World.

They even assured me that he will have gf snacks in splash academy. We will dine at the illusionarium on board so I am curious to see how that meal is handled.

We are in the Haven area and will probably eat there most nights so that we have a wait staff familiar with his diet to avoid having to go thru it all every night with a different server. He is still uncomfortable with celiac as he is newly diagnosed and at almost 12 yrs old, it's a huge lifestyle change and he's embarrassed by it still. Working on that ;)

Hope you have a great cruise!! I'll post my review mid June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
We sail getaway in June and DS is celiac so he's gluten free. I notified our NCL PCC when I booked. When I get back I'll do a gluten free review on here so others with this same issue can know options. I personally feel like there are two places we can vacay and know our child's dietary health is safe... Cruises and Disney World.

They even assured me that he will have gf snacks in splash academy. We will dine at the illusionarium on board so I am curious to see how that meal is handled.

We are in the Haven area and will probably eat there most nights so that we have a wait staff familiar with his diet to avoid having to go thru it all every night with a different server. He is still uncomfortable with celiac as he is newly diagnosed and at almost 12 yrs old, it's a huge lifestyle change and he's embarrassed by it still. Working on that ;)

Hope you have a great cruise!! I'll post my review mid June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How did the Gluten free for your DS go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk