Advice / opinions re non-flying cruising after total hip replacement

Nylsor

I am due to have a left total hip replacement mid-July.:( I had my right hip replaced in February 2013 with no issues. I could walk with only one stick (cane) within a week and without support after 3 weeks. I am 65, and have cruised previously. As convalescence, I can think of nothing nicer than cruising the Med on a Princess ship. I would like to cruise on the Emerald from Southampton on August 30. I am quite aware I cannot fly seven weeks after my op due to the danger of deep vein thrombosis so plan to sail round trip from Southampton which we can reach by car. I would only cruise on the advice of my surgeon. I am aware that I cannot go on arduous excursions. My DH is wonderfully supportive.

Has anyone else cruised within seven weeks of this op and if so, were there any drawbacks?

Of course, the ship may be booked out by the time I have my op (wouldn't risk booking until I know all is well) and this could all be a dream but hey - we all have to dream sometimes. :)

Would welcome your input / advice.

Hi

My wife and I did a cruise from Southampton in October 2012 just on five months after her hip replacement and we had no problems at all other than the implant setting off the security scanner. The one problem you may encounter is your travel insurance may not cover any mishap due to the op after such a short time gap after the op. Have a great cruise and good health to your wife.

I had hip replacement last March then did a Med. Cruise on the Royal in July...as other poster pointed out, check your insurance as it would be a pre existing condition. I had no problems at all but was very, very careful in ports walking around...in general I find the U.S. To have far more ramps, hand rails, etc. good luck! In older historic cities like Athens, Venice, etc. I was expecially careful when encountering uneven footing. Took my DH's arm a lot when in doubt! And never be in a hurry...be careful and look where you are walking.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal