Amigo Car Rental

rdenee

Has anyone used Amigo Car Rental from the Port if Miami?

They have an eight passanger vehicle that would work perfectly for us, but can't find any reviews.

Rhea

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

• 5 months later...

Most of the smaller car rental companies are known for the classic bait and switch routines. You reserve a specific vehicle and when you arrive it isn't available and they try and get you to upgrade. You reserve at a specific rate and then they tell you the rate has changed for some unknown reason. I have been renting vehicles in Florida for the last thirty plus years. I stick with the well established companies like Alamo, National, Budget, Thifty, Dollar, Hertz, and Avis. Decent prices, excellent service, and never any bait and switch tactics.

There are no rental car companies located directly at the Port Of Miami. If you are flying into Miami International Airport a taxi from the airport to the Port Of Miami will cost you twenty five dollars plus tip. The cab will hold up to four passengers and the ride from point to point is approximately twenty minutes. If you are renting a vehicle pre cruise and dropping off the rental vehicle at the Car Rental Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport, Alamo, Enterprise, National, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami. Avis, Hertz, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. I have heard conflicting reports if those three companies provide any free shuttle service from their locations. A taxi from their locations are very inexpensive. If you are renting a vehicle post cruise, the five above mentioned companies provide free shuttle service back to the Rental Car Center. Some shuttle drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation before they allow you to enter the shuttle because some cruise passengers are looking for free transportation back to Miami International Airport.

There are no rental car companies located directly at the Port Of Miami. If you are flying into Miami International Airport a taxi from the airport to the Port Of Miami will cost you twenty five dollars plus tip...If you are renting a vehicle pre cruise and dropping off the rental vehicle at the Car Rental Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport, Alamo, Enterprise, National, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami. Avis, Hertz, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami.

Thank you. I am aware that there are no rental companies directly at the port. I am flying in the day before and will be driving all over Miami metro (including Key Biscayne) between my arrival and when we embark the next day, so I feel that renting a car would be cheaper than a bunch of taxi fares. I have not been able to find any info on a shuttle from MIA Enterprise (my company of choice) to the port (there is plenty of info on shuttles going the other way), but it's really more of an issue of wasting time since I am staying at an airport hotel, and on the day of embarkation I would have to (1) drive from the airport hotel down to Key Biscayne to pick up a fellow traveler and visit with friends there, (2) drive all the way back to the airport to return the rental car, and then (3) get a taxi or shuttle from there to the port. I am less concerned about price than time. It would be much easier if I could pick up the car from the airport on the day of arrival and drop of the car near the port/downtown just before embarkation and take a taxi from there. Most of the big rental companies do not allow one-way rentals from the airport to a downtown location. It sounds like Hertz/Avis/Budget may be the way to go if they allow intra-city one-way rentals. Enterprise does not. Amigo's told me via email that they would allow me to return the car near the port and they would then drive me to the port. You're right though - it does sound a little shady.