Cabin change in spite of "no upgrade" marking

calteacher

Was surprised last week when, after completing check-in documents, we received an e-mail from HAL saying our cabin had been change from a VC to a VB. We had requested "no-change" since we were traveling with a friend, who because of the single supplement, had an inside cabin. Her cabin was directly across from our cabin. While we were only moved five cabins nearer the center of the ship, I was surprised to find the change.

This has never happened to us before (10 cruises) I'm wondering if this has also happened to others.

Not when we've said "no upgrade", but we were once moved three cabins down the hall to another cabin at the same level. In that instance I think HAL wanted the cabin we had chosen because it was a connecting one.

Yes.

We booked a category I inside cabin on the Volendam and received notification that we had been relocated 3 days prior to sail away.

The cabin we were assigned was considered to be an upgrade (OV on lower promenade deck), but I think that was a bit of an assumption on HAL's behalf and we probably wouldn't have minded so much of they had checked with us first. Fortunately for us, it wasn't an issue, but I can see how it could be in certain circumstances.

So it definitely does happen . . .and we did specify that we did not want to be upgraded.

Over the years a couple of people have reported that they were moved from one cabin to another.

I know it happened to us one year. We have booked SA's for our cruises. The first one was a 21 day repositioning cruise. The second one was an Alaskan cruise but we booked it about 4 months after booking the repositioning cruise. Thus we couldn't get the same cabin for both cruises. When we got on the ship, we discovered that we did indeed have the same cabin. I have no idea who was moved so that we could have the same cabin both cruises or who made the change in Seattle. But it was a pleasant surprise.