2 way radios (walkie-talkies)

Can anyone recommend a good two way radio set for communicating to family members on a cruise? I've never used them and don't have any idea about them. I've heard that you need to have GMRS, but I'm not sure if you need an FCC license for that or what!!! I only want to use them for the cruise and don't want to spend hundreds. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I've heard that Motorola has a nice model called the Talkabout and I've been looking into those. How do you choose a channel that's just for your family without getting other people in on it or bothering other groups? Thanks! Feel free to email me directly at cruisinaround2004@yahoo.com.

Thanks for any help!

I don't remember where I got mine last year. They have about a 5 mile range or more with sideband frequency's,(38 privacy codes for a total of 836 sub-channels). This helps to prevent hearing everyone else on board with a set of walkie talkies. Just be polite and only use them when you have to. There was a lot of people on board the ship with kids and they were annoying at times calling and talking about nothing. It is nice to have them when you get separated from wife or husband, but they have an off switch if you want to lose them for a while. ;)

Found some doing a search at Bestbuy, Radio Shack, and Curcuit City. Prices are about $39.95 to $49.95 and up for a set of two. They had a rebate when I got mine so they only ended costing about $10.00

Cobra is a good brand! Hope this helps.

Lon

Hi LonW & McBoo.

Thank you for your responses and McBoo, I agree with you, I wouldn't like constant yakking on them either. The only reason I was even considering a pair was my sister (a young adult) is coming on a cruise with my husband and I. I know that she won't want to do everything that we do and vice versa. This would just be an easy way to find each other. I was also wondering if they should work well in the ports if we get separated.

Does anyone know about this GMRS & FRS?

I just bought a pair of walkie-talkies and read about that GMRS license thing in the instructions. I haven't had the chance to check on it myself yet, but the instructions did give some numbers to call...this is what they said:

"The FCC requires that all operators using GMRS frequencies obtain a radio license before operating their equipment. To obtain the FCC forms, please request form 605 and 159, which includes all the forms and instructions you will need. If you wish to have the document faxed or mailed, or if you have questions, please use the following contact information:

For a Fax (Fax On Demand System): 1-202-418-0177

For Mail Service: 1-800-418-FORM (3676)

If you have Questions about the FCC License: 1-888-CALL-FCC (225-5322)

I haven't had the chance to call...if you happen to do so, will you let me know what the deal is?

Oh, yeah...the instructions also mention something about using the radio outside the US might be prohibited. (I'd ask the FCC about it.)

~Janonymous

That is what we are trying to get away from! We pick a favorite spot on the ship for gathering lost people, add 4 check in times where everyone meets and go from there. I have seen small kids running around with them, and their parents using them as a babysitter. They are a convience to responsible older teens and parents, but a nusiance to other passengers....we have nextel....we leave it in the car!

We have the Motorola TalkAbouts and love them! We plan to bring them on our cruise as well...not so much to use on the boat (so we're not chatting away and bothering others) but more so if we get separated in ports (sometimes DH will stray ;) ) we can find each other easily...there are plenty of channels, so there is little interference amongst other users...if there is, they're easily enough to change channels.

Oh...and no license is required to operate them!

We were three couples cruising together and each of us had our own walkie talkie turned to the same channel and subchannel as the others. We were discreet in using them, and they worked FABULOUSLY for keeping in touch not only on the ship, but also when we went shopping on shore. We could call each other from ship to shore as well. Our ship (RCL Adventure of the Seas) even had them for sale in their gift shop. I would strongly suggest getting good ones rather than cheaper children's toy types. We bought ours at Costco; about $60 for the set of 2 Motorola Talk-Abouts and we love them. If you buy cheap ones, you will be on the same channels as the other 2,000 passengers. The cheaper models use only FMRS channels, and there are only 14 channels to choose from. Better ones allow for using subchannels, too, and we never had any problems with hearing other people on our frequency. The better ones have both FMRS AND GMRS channels. We won't cruise without them -- also use them on ski slopes, amusement parks, hiking, and shopping malls. Be aware that using GMRS walkie-talkies within the U.S. requires an FCC license, but it's easy to get. Just $75 bucks for a 5-year license, you can apply online, and it's well-worth it. It was like having our own private phone system on the cruise, and we have used them absolutely everywhere else as well. Happy Sailing!

Archived