Do teens enjoy DCL? Son is 13

brianjb

My son turns 14 this Fall. We've been to Disney theme parks a lot. Both Disney World and Disney Land.

Would a 13-15 year old enjoy the cruise?

I'd really like to go.

I appreciate any personal feedback that you can provide

Thanks!

It really depends on the teen. If he's moderately social he should have a good time. DCL doesn't have some of the bells and whistles for older kids that RCCL has (climbing walls, flowriders, etc). but they have a pretty good social program.

Our son was 16 on our first DCL cruise and he loved it.

Thanks! I wish I had the money when he was younger for the Disney cruises

But I think he'll still enjoy it. Glad to know that another family with a teen first time cruiser enjoyed it

On our last disney cruise, I did notice quite a bit of teens in the teen program and they seemed like they were having a good time. I remember that when we were at Castaway Cays that cruise, a teen was with his family and they had lounges chairs next to us and it surprised me that he asked his parents if he could go back to the ship early because he didn't want to miss an activity that was about to start on the ship.

My son turns 14 this Fall. We've been to Disney theme parks a lot. Both Disney World and Disney Land.

Would a 13-15 year old enjoy the cruise?

I'd really like to go.

I appreciate any personal feedback that you can provide

Thanks!

Yes a good age to go, they have the clubs but can explore my children loved looking at all the films on the ship. There on demand on the new ships and on a loop on the older ones.

Sent from my iPad.

Disney tries to put together fun, appropriate programming for kids of all ages. Enjoyment/fun is a personal thing, and is also influenced by how the CMs implement those programs. There is a built in "overlap" of ages so that parents and kids can decide where the child fits best.

Example:

Oceaneer's Lab is for ages up thru 12, Edge is for ages 11-14. A 12 year old and parent can decide which is most appropriate for that child. BUT...in the land of DCL (like Lake Wobegon), every child is above average and parents routinely request that their 10 or even 9 year old be allowed into the Edge programming. If the CMs allow this, the 13-14s bail out of the program because it becomes a "baby" program. Whether or not the CMs allow a younger child to move up depends on lots of factors.

The Vibe is for ages 14-17 (again, note the overlap for 14s). They tend to be more strict about this line.

Programming IS appropriate for the stated age ranges. A big key to enjoyment is whether they make a friend. I strongly suggest that teens/pre-teens attend the first night session. This is where they start making friends as well as choosing the activities for the cruise. People who do not attend have no input.

Edited by moki'smommy

We just returned from a 7-day eastern on the Fantasy. Our kids are 13 (DD) & 15 (DS). Keep in mind that we are Disney-a-holics, going to the parks at least once a year with enough tradable pins to fund a college tuition.... But our kids both had a blast on the trip, especially at Castaway Cay. Both went to Vibe and had fun. They didn't spend an inordinate amount of time there but there was plenty to do. They just chose to do other things. They loved the AquaDuck, Midship Detective and mini-golf. They also enjoyed the shows and pin trading with the cast members in the shops. I don't think they were ever bored and had a really easy time making a couple of friends, although they didn't spend a lot of time separated from each other. We're fortunate that they're the best of friends.

In my opinion, I think there's plenty of things to do if they make an effort to try. The programming is terrific as well, if that appeals to them. I saw many kids in Vibe remember each other from past sailings and were fast friends. I would have to agree with Carolla...it does depend on the teen.

My first Disney Cruise was when I was 14 and it was the perfect age for me! The clubs are really fun and the counselors work really hard to make sure everyone is having a good time. Plus they do fun stuff just for teens- like an arcade night where you can play as many games as you want for the allotted time. Also, there is a teen-only excursion on Castaway Cay. This is a long response but long story short- yes!

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer!

If you've booked, check out a Meet group for your cruise and get your son in touch with other kids his age who are going. This made all the difference for my kids and nephew who are two 8 & 11 yr old girls and an 11 yr old boy. They had all made friends via ort meet group. They all Facetimed their friends for a few months before the cruise. They are all starting to have different interests so it was great to have other people to do stuff with. On sea days, we didn't see much of them until everyone rounded their kids up for dinner!

Our daughter has been on 11 a Disney cruises since she was five and she is now 14. When she was little, she loved the cruises but did not want to go to any of the kids clubs. When she was old enough to go to The a Edge, she loved that. At 13, she was allowed to go to the a Vibe (with parental permission) and now we hardly ever see her when we are on Disney cruises. She has made lasting friendships (especially thanks to social media) and now she has friends in our hometown that she met on a Disney cruises. She also continues texting friends all over the world whom she met on a Disney cruises and they talk their parents into going on future Disney cruises so the teens can travel together again. For example, we made reservations for the Norway/Iceland cruise in 2015 largely because my daughter's group of Vibe friends are driving the effort to sign up for the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

As other posters have said, it does depend on the teen...

We just returned from a 7 night on the Fantasy. In our group, we had one 15 year old boy, his twin sister, one 11 year old boy, one 11 year old girl, and one 10 year old boy.

The 10 and 11 year olds LOVED the cruise! They all went to the Edge and had great times there, plus loved the Aquaduck, movies, golf, and just running around the ship.

The 15 year old girl LIKED the cruise...she went to Vibe when there was an activity she liked, explored the ship a lot, and enjoyed the Aquaduck. She also complained a lot that she couldn't go to the adult only areas with her parents!

Her brother LOVED the cruise...he went to Vibe only once and wasn't impressed, so he spent his time playing golf, basketball, doing the sports simulator, watching movies, and just relaxing...

If you can, try to have them meetup with other kids their age before the cruise or at the open house in the clubs. The counselors said that most friendships are made the first night in the clubs and during activity times, that is much easier also.

Yes I have traveled as a teen and as a young adult disney is awesome I also have a fifteen year old brother and a twelve year old sister and 8year old brother

All I know is I was Born To Cruise..

Love,

Miranda

Our son was 13 when we cruised for the first time ever last November on the Magic. He loved the cruise! He did not, however, like the teen club what so ever. Although, I think that is because he is not one to make new friends easily. We made him go in there one time, and that was the last time. Our other son was 9, so they could not be in the same club. Had they been able to, I think it would have been much different. He mostly just hung out with us, or with our younger son swimming and playing basketball. We did see the clubs doing various activities around the ship, and they looked like they were having fun. I wish he would have gotten more into it. We had a verandah room, so he spent quite a bit of time there on the verandah. My husband was so not ok with that, but in the end, it was our sons vacation too. And, if that is what he wanted to do on his vacation, then so be it!

He will love it, not to worry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our son was 13 when we cruised for the first time ever last November on the Magic. He loved the cruise! He did not, however, like the teen club what so ever. Although, I think that is because he is not one to make new friends easily. We made him go in there one time, and that was the last time. Our other son was 9, so they could not be in the same club. Had they been able to, I think it would have been much different. He mostly just hung out with us, or with our younger son swimming and playing basketball. We did see the clubs doing various activities around the ship, and they looked like they were having fun. I wish he would have gotten more into it. We had a verandah room, so he spent quite a bit of time there on the verandah. My husband was so not ok with that, but in the end, it was our sons vacation too. And, if that is what he wanted to do on his vacation, then so be it!

He will love it, not to worry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My teenage brother's favorite thing to do is spend all day in stateroom eating room service

All I know is I was Born To Cruise..

Love,

Miranda