Diamond Princess

readingfast

We are doing the Singapore to Sydney cruise in October and it is our first cruise with Princess so any useful information/tips would be very welcome.

Are there are drinks packages on the Diamond? I have been reading about so many different types but they never seem to refer to the Diamond.

Many thanks

We were on Diamond Princess last November Singapore to Sydney and it was a fabulous cruise. We liked it so much, we are doing it in reverse next March on Diamond. Absolutely loved the ship and that was before the dry dock. Don't know about alcohol packages but they do the soft drinks packages which we had and really enjoyed the Mocktails and Milk Shakes.

Only tip is enjoy every minute of it as it is over far too soon!

We are doing the Singapore to Sydney cruise in October and it is our first cruise with Princess so any useful information/tips would be very welcome.

Are there are drinks packages on the Diamond? I have been reading about so many different types but they never seem to refer to the Diamond.

Many thanks

Good morning. In all honesty I don;t think it matters which ship you are on in terms of amenities like drink packages. I would say that it is more which line you're sailing. We have done 7 Princess cruises and though we personally have not purchased the drinks package, I'm pretty certain it's available Princess wide. I'd check with Princess but it doesn't really matter which ship you are on as long as the line offers the product, you should be able to get it. Incidentally, we will be on the Diamond in Feb for our New Zealand and Australia cruise.

Have a wonderful trip. The Diamond just came out of dry dock so she should be in beautiful shape.

Cheers, Kenn

We did this trip a few years ago. Had a fantastic time. Have never heard a bad word about this one.

I read something a few weeks ago that there are no plans to have the drink package on Diamond as well as Sun, Dawn & Sea - gawd only knows why...

Only downside to the trip is the Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh stopovers have the ship alongside container ports a couple of hours bus trip from those cities. In our case, we did the Cu Chi tunnel shore excursion in Saigon and it was 3 hours each way on the bus! Makes for a long day.

I see they have dropped the Airle Beach stop over - we had a wonderful day swimming snorkling etc there.

I read something a few weeks ago that there are no plans to have the drink package on Diamond as well as Sun, Dawn & Sea - gawd only knows why...
This is a guess but I'm assuming the difference is ships permanently based in Asia and not sailing/repositioning to the US. These ships are marketed primarily outside the US.

As for whether a ship has the package or not, it was rolled out only just over a month ago so if you were on a ship in January or February and it wasn't offered, chances are it is now.

We were on the Diamond last year Beijing to Bangkok and loved the ship and its crew. There were challenges-Asian flu, extraordinary smog, pig carcasses in Shanghai (missed the port due to "weather") and a crew member had to be airlifted by the Singapore navy. Regardless the crew made our voyage terrific. We will be sailing on her in Jan (Sydney - Auckland) and I understand the drink package is not offered on the Diamond. It may be because of the tremendously high prices for drinks in Asia. We found in port $20us for a glass of wine to be the norm. With that being said, drink prices on the ship were the same as all the other Princess ships. Tip of the day-try the "Crouching Tiger Martini" if it is still offered. Only offered on Asia/South Pacific cruises is my understanding, because of the ingredients.