Places to stay in the Florida Keys?

mared1

We are cruising January 4th, but will be flying in on the 1st and want to drive to the Keys - any suggestions on places to stay? We want to spend time in Key West but don't necessarily have to stay there. Would like to stay some place that isn't terribly expensive- doesn't have to have a lot of extras - just a clean, comfortable place to sleep after exploring. Thanks in advance.

We are cruising January 4th, but will be flying in on the 1st and want to drive to the Keys - any suggestions on places to stay? We want to spend time in Key West but don't necessarily have to stay there. Would like to stay some place that isn't terribly expensive- doesn't have to have a lot of extras - just a clean, comfortable place to sleep after exploring. Thanks in advance.

Accommodation runs the gamut in the Keys. Keep in mind that very few of the nicer places are going to be inexpensive, if any at all. We spent a day on the upper keys a few weeks ago, looking for accommodation for next winter. However, we were looking for a pet-firendly hotel, not an easy task. A lot depends on how far down the Keys you want to be. At the north end just outside of Key Largo is the Westin hotel. Not cheap but well located near John Pennekamp Park. http://www.keylargoresort.com/ Midway is Hawk's Cay. http://www.hawkscay.com/ Key West has a wealth of accommodation. Personally, if I can find someplace that's not one of the chain hotels, I'm happy. One that I'm strongly considering in KW is Southernmost Point http://southernmostpoint.com/

I would not venture out without a reservation made in advance. The Keys are a wonderful place to explore. Have a great time!

Beth

I would highly recommend you spend the night before your cruise in the town that the port is in (Miami or Fort Lauderdale). The road to the Keys is a two lane road and sometimes can be shut down for hours if there is an accident. There are not alot of alternatives routes. For reasonable hotels you may want to try Priceline for Key Largo or Islamorada. They are both very nice areas. Have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the Mariner's Club in Key Largo Florida? We are sailing on NCL Jewel on 12/11/05 but after returning on 12/18 we are spending 2 nights in the Keys. We booked a 2 bedroom condo/suite at this property (family of 6). They have a wonderful website but I'd like to get some feedback from someone that has actually stayed at or is familiar with this hotel/resort. Please advise.

Thanks!

Friends of ours own a condo there. We've stayed a couple of times. Sterile, cookie cutter condo complex with a great view. Its a nice property. Kids were bored, only activity for them was the pool. There is no beach but you can go across the street to John Pennekamp State Park.

Thanks! It looked nice but sometimes things aren't always what the seem to be so I thought I better ask. I've read a little about what to see and have seen the State park mentioned a few times so we'll go visit there. We mostly just wanted to do a little sight-seeing and I wanted a nice, clean place to stay. Sounds like we found it. Coming from a cruise I don't think anyone of us care about beach - just a nice view and a relaxing few days. And I'm sure my husband would love to try to do some fishing and I've read that's easily available as well.

Archived