Dinner Dress Code Question for Kids

JandKMom

My family will be travelling on the Summit in June/July to Bermuda. I have two boys, ages 10 and 13. I understand that no shorts are allowed in the dining room for dinner. Does this apply to kids as well? For summer dinners out, I like to dress my younger son in a button down short sleeved shirt with dressy shorts. Is this acceptable or do I need to get him a few pairs of Khakis? Are nice jeans OK? He is a little stocky and the only kind of long pants he likes to wear are athletic pants, so his wardrobe is limited in this respect.

When I brought my grandchildren on a cruise, they dressed formally as adults do. My grandson, age 11 wore a suite with a button down shirt, tie and dress shoes. He wore different shirts and ties as we had two formal nights. My grandaughter a dress each night.

Today, with so many sales and discount stores, they clothes for each including the shoes was about $100 each! Other evenings, a collared polo and khakis are fine! My grandaughter had many dress options that she brough with her for the non-formal evenings. I think kids should dress up, especially over the age of 7. You will have great pictures to remember this special cruise also!

That is IMO- and I am sure others might feel differently. Enjoy your cruise.

I am an american who feels that denim is not proper for fine dining venues, and that is what I am teaching my children, who (so far) still enjoy dressing up for MDR dinner. I really can't comment on modern polite society, except that IMO standards have relaxed. Having said that, I was under the impression that Celebrity offered a bit more elegant dining experience than some other mass market lines.

First off, I know this may offend some of you.

I completely agree. Does one really need to be reminded of how their children should dress. With that being said, I really enjoy when I see a family all dressed up on formal nights, as well as regular nights. It shows a certain sense of family and a child's respect for their parents, elders, and surroundings.

I completely agree. Does one really need to be reminded of how their children should dress. With that being said, I really enjoy when I see a family all dressed up on formal nights, as well as regular nights. It shows a certain sense of family and a child's respect for their parents, elders, and surroundings.

I appreciate ALL comments and feedback, however if the above comment was directed at me (I was the OP of the thread) because I dared to ask the question about what was appropriate, well, then yes I do take offense. I do not need to be reminded how my children should dress, in fact it is very important to me that they be dressed appropriately, which is why I posted the question in the first place. In fact, I am fully intending on them wearing suits and ties and black dress shoes to the two formal nights (and I will be in a long dress and my husband in a tux). This is our first cruise with the kids and I wasn't sure what was expected. Where we usually go on our summer vacation, Cape Cod, we go out to a nice restaurant and it is fully appropriate for my children to be wearing khaki shorts and button down collared shirts. In fact they look adorable and perfectly dressed for the occasion. I wasn't sure if the "no shorts" policy applied to 10 year old children. Apparently it does, and I am glad I asked. Actually, this thread is from two weeks ago and was already answered. I only just opened it up again yesterday to inquire what shoes would be appropriate with the khaki pants I had bought. One poster just jumped on the thread to go on about how jeans were not appropriate for dinner (although she is new to Celebrity as am I and others pointed out that it is within the acceptable dress code). I may or may not decide to let them wear dark jeans (with their collared shirts). I will probably pack a pair for each boy and see what other people are doing.

I appreciate ALL comments and feedback, however if the above comment was directed at me (I was the OP of the thread) because I dared to ask the question about what was appropriate, well, then yes I do take offense. I do not need to be reminded how my children should dress, in fact it is very important to me that they be dressed appropriately, which is why I posted the question in the first place. In fact, I am fully intending on them wearing suits and ties and black dress shoes to the two formal nights (and I will be in a long dress and my husband in a tux). This is our first cruise with the kids and I wasn't sure what was expected. Where we usually go on our summer vacation, Cape Cod, we go out to a nice restaurant and it is fully appropriate for my children to be wearing khaki shorts and button down collared shirts. In fact they look adorable and perfectly dressed for the occasion. I wasn't sure if the "no shorts" policy applied to 10 year old children. Apparently it does, and I am glad I asked. Actually, this thread is from two weeks ago and was already answered. I only just opened it up again yesterday to inquire what shoes would be appropriate with the khaki pants I had bought. One poster just jumped on the thread to go on about how jeans were not appropriate for dinner (although she is new to Celebrity as am I and others pointed out that it is within the acceptable dress code). I may or may not decide to let them wear dark jeans (with their collared shirts). I will probably pack a pair for each boy and see what other people are doing.

Whatever you do will be fine, don't worry about others. If they wear jeans, they will fit in perfectly. Don't stress over what some will post, just do what you feel good doing and have some great dinners with your family, because that is what it is all about.

Whatever you do will be fine, don't worry about others. If they wear jeans, they will fit in perfectly. Don't stress over what some will post, just do what you feel good doing and have some great dinners with your family, because that is what it is all about.

Thank you!:)

I've always felt that how the kids behave is far more important than how they are dressed. I've seen far too many well-dressed kids on cruise ships behaving like spoilt brats.

We were on the Constellation in March for a Caribbean cruise with our 2 sons 9 and 11. We took them to the MDR twice in khaki shorts and polo shirts- no problem at all. The adults adhered to the "dress code" but it's harder with little boys, and no one batted an eyelash. A Bermuda cruise will likely be similarly casual.

Also of note- MANY adults at other tables did not adhere to the dress code either, yet everyone seemed to have a lovely time nonetheless.

Enjoy your trip!

My family will be travelling on the Summit in June/July to Bermuda. I have two boys, ages 10 and 13. I understand that no shorts are allowed in the dining room for dinner. Does this apply to kids as well? For summer dinners out, I like to dress my younger son in a button down short sleeved shirt with dressy shorts. Is this acceptable or do I need to get him a few pairs of Khakis? Are nice jeans OK? He is a little stocky and the only kind of long pants he likes to wear are athletic pants, so his wardrobe is limited in this respect.

Depending on your child, I'd opt for the jeans over shorts. My kids noticed the large sign outside the dining room indicating that shorts were not permitted in the dining room (sometimes it's there, sometimes not). Because of that, they would not have been comfortable in shorts for dinner. It is also published in the daily compass. Some kids wouldn't feel comfortable in shorts because of that, others won't be bothered.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

Edit: In thinking about it, I'm not sure we saw the sign on Celebrity, maybe just Royal Caribbean. However, I did find Celebrity to be bit dressier in general. Good luck!

Edited by galavant3

....Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!Edit: In thinking about it, I'm not sure we saw the sign on Celebrity, maybe just Royal Caribbean. However, I did find Celebrity to be bit dressier in general. Good luck!

Glad to hear Celebrity is a bit dressier in general. That is what I have heard and read, and why we are upgrading to Celebity. I don't care what people wear on deck, at the pool, or in the buffet. But, the MDR is an event every night for our family, and we like to think dining there is special. And, it always helps if staff would post the dress code just for the reasons you mentioned.