Random Questions from a Newbie

Lilycat2010

Hi,

I'm looking at my first river cruise for later in 2015. Checking out two Viking intineraries that look appealing - Rhine Getaway and Romantic Danube.

We are planning to use frequent flier miles to get to and from Europe from the USA.

Here are my random questions:

1. If we do the Danube cruise, where to most folks fly into? Munich? I think that's about 1 1/2 hours from Nuremberg by train.

2. Does Viking offer transportation from the airport to the ship? Is that generally included?

3. If you choose to fly in a day ahead (which I often like to do in Europe to get a little acclimated before I start touring.) is then transportation on your own?

4. If we do either cruise, can you add the exensions on either end? For example, I noticed online that they only seem to offer the Prague extension to the Danube cruise on the front end? Or is that a mistake, because you can certainly start your cruise in Budapest OR Nuremberg.

Thanks, and sorry if these seem like stupid questions. If anyone has any strong preferences for which would be a great first timer intinerary, please weigh in!

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

Questions are never stupid as there are other people who may be interested in the same information.

1. If we do the Danube cruise, where to most folks fly into? Munich? I think that's about 1 1/2 hours from Nuremberg by train.

It may depend on where you fly from. We flew Boston-Zurich-Nuremberg once and Boston-Munich and were driven to Passau for a different Danube cruise

2. Does Viking offer transportation from the airport to the ship? Is that generally included?

Transportation is included in VRC books the air. If not you can purchase it as an extra. Compare it with local transportation costs'

3. If you choose to fly in a day ahead (which I often like to do in Europe to get a little acclimated before I start touring.) is then transportation on your own?

Yes

4. If we do either cruise, can you add the extensions on either end? For example, I noticed online that they only seem to offer the Prague extension to the Danube cruise on the front end? Or is that a mistake, because you can certainly start your cruise in Budapest OR Nuremberg.

It depends on which cruise you opt for - Nuremberg to Budapest or the reverse. If it's the first then your pre would be Prague or Nuremberg, post Budapest because that is where you will end. If you sail Budapest to Nuremberg the Budapest is pre and Prague or nuremberg post.

Make sure you price up booking any pre or post on your own. You maybe surprised at the difference in costs.

Have a great trip!

you want pre cruise in Prague and post in Budapest.

We just did this with AMA and worked out well.Can always do hotels,etc on your own if you prefer.

Then can fly directly to ea city.

Along with itinerary differences,many lines offer more perks too.So do check around .Nothing against Viking,have taken 2 with them.But now prefer a little more upscale.You DO tend to get what you PAY for,as I ve said on this section many times.(finally learned after 10 river cruises on all the major lines).

you want pre cruise in Prague and post in Budapest.

We just did this with AMA and worked out well.Can always do hotels,etc on your own if you prefer.

Then can fly directly to ea city.

Along with itinerary differences,many lines offer more perks too.So do check around .Nothing against Viking,have taken 2 with them.But now prefer a little more upscale.You DO tend to get what you PAY for,as I ve said on this section many times.(finally learned after 10 river cruises on all the major lines).

We just started thinking about a river cruise for next year. In your opinion (since everyone has one :) ) can you give me your #1, #2, etc for the major lines. THANKS so much.

under member review section,took it last May=June .

On AMAcerto.To put it in one word...GREAT.Loved the new 2 balcony ships.

Good food,service,cabin,etc...Took the Romantic Danube,but would stay extra days in Budapest post cruise.

After 10 ,,,IMO ,,,remember ea.boat in ea.country can be so different.Due to many regulations etc...so hard to lump them all.Must look at ea .one and compare.Then, you DO get what you pay for,,,so the luxury or premium lines cost more.

So far my favorite has been AMA,that being said ,,trying Scenic in June.So may change my mind.

Then Uniworld(oh,would be Tauck but never went since they don t have full balcony).Avalon,,then Viking.Would not go on Gate 1 again.Refuse Grand Circle and Vantage also, since they prohibit TAs.

Hope that helps SOME.:)

We just started thinking about a river cruise for next year. In your opinion (since everyone has one :) ) can you give me your #1, #2, etc for the major lines. THANKS so much.

We have been on AMA and Avalon and AMA (3 cruises with 2 more booked ) is #1 with Avalon (4 cruises) a very distant 2nd.