Shore excursions for kids

stilley9

Because of the stellar advice I've recently gotten on this forum :) , i'm going to try my luck on a different yet kinda related topic.

We are leaving Whittier for a NCL southbound cruise hitting Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan in June. We don't have a lot of time beforehand, but we're arriving about 48 hours before our boat leaves the dock.

We decided to go south right away, and will be spending the first night at the Hotel Alyeska. We'll then head to Seward for the National Park boat tour, and spend the night in Seward. Next day we'll make our way to Whittier, and intend to take another Major Marine tour to see the glaciers.

I feel good about getting a few things booked FINALLY. But now i'm starting to look at shore excursions in port, and i'm wondering if we're going to overdo the boat tours. We'll be traveling with extended family, and my kids will be the only kids on the trip (2 boys - 8 and 5).

In Juneau, we want to do the Taku Lodge excursion which includes flight seeing, and in Skagway, I think we'll do some version of the train because I think the kids would really like that.

My question is first, what to do in Icy Strait? Some of the tours look good, and all of the bear opportunities are intriguing, but every tour (almost) is 8+. What to do with a 5 year old and an 8 year old? The whale watching cruise is a good option, but we will have just finished 2 boat tours… are we going to be ready for another type of tour?

And with all the things I mentioned above, are there any type of activities that are must-do that we haven't planned? I'd like to fit in a sled-dog excursion, so we will see.

Thanks again in advance!

There is little similar, between all your boat tours. If of interest to see huimpbacks, then book the whale watch- 100% sightings. You may not see any on the other two boat tours. Again, IF of interest.

Hoonah is the only inside passage port on your itinerary to see brown bears by ground. There are some independents, that may not have the age minimum? Or, with your group, you could charter? (I've been doing more of that, since I I've become more picky on what I want) It does impact when you are going.

There are more "must dos" than you can do in 10 trips. :) Instead- make your choices based on what YOUR group is interested in, not what is "popular".