Pride of Aloha or Pride of America?

rez4jc

I have never been to Hawaii before, but I love to cruise. I figure this would be a good way to see most of the islands and determine where I'd like to spend a week or so.

So which itinerary would you choose? And why? Should I get a balcony on the port or starboard side?

The itineraries are virtually identical, except that America sailes on Saturday and Aloha on Sunday. The America is a bit more expensive, but then she's brand new. I personally booked the Aloha because I would rather spend the extra money on excursions on the islands on this particular cruise and didn't really care as much about the particular ship. From every review I've read, though, the POAmerica is a beautiful ship! Also, if you are sailing in 2006 you may have a third option with the Pride of Hawaii. Again, it will depend what you want to spend your money on.

As for port or starboard, I believe that many have said the ship sails past the Napali coastline in both directions, so it wouldn't matter there. As for the Kilauea lava flow, I believe (and I really could be wrong on this, so please so some additional research) that other posters have said that the port side is the place to be.

Good luck with your decision! I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see the islands!

Quincella summed it all up:

1.) Would you prefer a Saturday (America) or Sunday (Aloha) departure from Honolulu?

2.) The America is a brand new (and larger) ship with more choices for dining. The Aloha is smaller and a refurbished ship (the former Noreweigan Sky).

3.) The America costs more, the Aloha less.

I was on the Aloha last year as well and she is a nice ship but nearly as nice as the Star.

Quincella also hit on another factor: The Pride of Hawaii is out mid year next year. If you could wait on her that would give you another option. Also, if you love cruising and have time for a longer cruise there are two other ideas:

1.) Wait on the Pride of Hawaii and take the 12 or 14 day repositioning cruise on her from San Francisco to Honolulu. You get days at sea plus days in the island.

2.) If you can go earlier in the year (prior to May), you could take the Norweigan Wind's 10 or 11 day cruises which does the islands and Fanning Island. (more time cruising). The Wind repositions to Alaska in May 06 though.

I would reccommend a Starboard (right) side cabin. That is the side that the lava flows were on for our cruise last year and that is where my cabin was. I feel I had the better views throughout the cruise. (especially in Honolulu, Maui and the lava flow).

I would also reccommend a pre or post cruise stay in Honolulu. There is so much to see there.

Archived