Zenith-Bermuda review

ZAMOST

Just returned from the July 23-30 Zenith cruise to Bermuda. Comments in no particular order.

1) Lucky when we left as no significant impact from tropical storm Franklin. Considering that the next day the Royal Caribbean ship from Cape Liberty went to Canada, we were very lucky

2) This was the oldest ship we have ever cruised on and it certainly pales by comparison to newer ones, but we knew that booking this cruise. Traveled with two daughters, 19, 23, so deluxe was not required

3) Food was okay, nothing overly fantastic, but our main enjoyment is meals together and talking so food isn't the end all and be all.

4) Enjoyed wine with each meal, and especially enjoyed the wine and food tasting event we signed up for.

5) Took cabs to the beaches, and a good price for the four of us. Looked like an even better idea when we saw some of the walks, the lines, and the occasional rain for those who were taking the buses

6) Took the ferry from Hamilton to Dockyards, and a $8 roundtrip ticket seemed a good bargain

7) Went to Horseshoe Bay. Beautiful beach, fantastic waves, hadn't bodysurfed in decades, but can't describe how much enjoyed the experience. Brought a beach umbrella on the trip, and it was very helpful to use to occasionally take a break from the sun. In St. George, a cheap and brief taxi to St. Catherine's beach was also well worth it. Beautiful day, water temperature fantastic.

8) Didn't get to jetski, and in retrospect, should have book a reservation the moment we got to St. George.

9) Took no excursions, and didn't feel like we missed anything.

10) Shows on board were good. Main singer Tyra Bombaci was actually very very good. My expectations for these shows are very low, and often skip them, but she was good. Comedian Louis Johnson quite funny as well.

11) No answer to the deck chair hogs, other than getting up early and beating them to it.

12) Still hate the idea that after spending a lot of money for the cruise, even spending modest money for wine at meals, that to have a soft drink at dinner still engenders a charge. Again, that's the way it is.

Overall, had a great time with my wife and daughters. No attempts at touring, for pure relaxation only. Without children, would not be taking this type of cruise again and would prefer Radisson style.

Additional comments perhaps later.

Will answer any questions.

ZAMOST- uh oh, I just booked the Zenith this morning to Bermuda on the 27th and am hoping it will not be terrible. Our last cruise was in March on the QM2, queens grill and although I don't expect this to be anything like it, I am hoping it will compare favorably to HAL, which we sailed in 3/04 and enjoyed. I've read here that the beds are hard and the ship is somewhat worn-say it isn't so.

Zenith is older and smaller, last refurb in 2000 I think. Beds have thin mattresses and are hard. Your cruise will be fine. Don't even think of comparing it to QM2. But from some reviews I've read about HAL it should be better in many respects, comfort of bedding excluded.

Went on Zenith in June. Once again the Tropical Storm went west - so Bermuda was unharmed. Nothing romantic about Bayonne, but it was easy in /easy out - can't beat that. Ship is well maintained with deficiencies caused by more modern ships with new features from a newer era ---- what the Zenith has-- works well (generally) and is well maintained. We missed a balcony, but the ship had none, since older cruise ships didn't --------- but once again - we knew that when we booked.

They're still arguing about enlarging the entrance to the Harbors in Hamilton and St. George --- until that's resolved, the large ships cannot visit either port and dock. So if you want convenience in Bermuda - you have to travel on the smaller ships. We've traveled on Millenium class and the Mercury, so this ship is still large enough and provides a more than adequate cruise vacation.

Food was good, shows were OK - nothing special, nothing terrible. Ship docks downtown Hamilton which is nice. Bigger ships can't do that--- and are forced to go to the dockyard - which is inconvenient. Basically a NY/NJ crowd and east coast passengers. Not many midwestern or western US people, which is fine -- it's just that most ships have more of a mix.

Don't know about kids, since school was still in session in NY/NJ.

Crew was very nice - very energetic, very cordial - better than other Celebrity ships we've cruised in the past.

Den & Margie

Millenium 2001

Mercury New Years 2003/2004

Summit New Years 2004/2005

Zenith 2005

Carnival Paradise 2000

Britanis 1984

HAL Veendam (NY/Bermuda) 1983

Carnival Holiday 1986

Carnival Celebration 1986/7

NCL Norway (can't remember)

Just booked our 9 cruise on Celebrity.First time on Zenith.Not much choice for next year to Bermuda.Going May 27 2006,planning on staying a few days in New York post cruise.

Any sugeestions on which airport would be the best?How is transportation between Bayone and the City?

Last time we went to Bermuda we were on the Nordic Empress out of New York and it worked out great.Sept 2-9 2001.We were really freaked out when the Tragedy struck on the 11.

We leave on Zenith this Saturday...3 more days! I know it is smaller and older and I do prefer bigger and newer, but Celebrity is so well rated that we thought we would try it. I hope we are not disappointed. I know I will miss my balcony cabins, but what can you do!:)

I was on the Zenith one month ago and it was wonderful, although this was my first cruise ever, I thought the crew was amazing always smiling always helpful. If you are ever not happy about something u should just tell them and they will bend over backwards to make u happy. They are not pyschic so unless you speak up they will not know.

The rooms were great plenty of space the cabin steward was wonderful we stayed in our room very late some days and he never bothered us cause we had our do not disturb sign on. He cleaned the room 2 times a day and we never saw him.

THe dining room is wonderful and we had the best waiter his name is HR from croatia. I mean he was so amazing he really loved all of us and it was not an act at all. we have plenty of video of him to keep our memory strong.

The pools were great and the food was also great. I know its a small ship but sometimes smaller can be better, theres not alot of crowds and you can always get what you want.

If you go with a postive attitude you will not be dissapointed. Since this was my first cruise a couple weeks after i was back i booked again with celebrity this time on the Constellation wich is a bigger ship with more to offer. it sails out of new york since flying is not an option for me!!!

Happy cruising and let me know how it works out for you!!!

Nicole I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. We sailed on the Zenith on June 4th and loved it. I would definitely sail on her again without a moment's hesitation. Someone mentioned the hard beds....well after my cruise I heard that you can request one of those mattress toppers for some added comfort. Actually, the mattress was my only complaint.

The best part of the Zenith is her crew. They are awesome. They really make you feel special and will go out of their way to make your cruise a memorable and happy experience.

I thought the food was very good. I had only one problem with too rare beef one night and it was corrected immediately and without a moment's hesitation. All the soups were extremely tasty and the appetizers were delicious. Desserts were decadent if you wanted or you could just have vanilla ice cream or sherbert which was also wonderful. My 5 year old enjoyed the children's program but when he was with us in the dining room the waiters treated him very well and he loved them.

I also want to say here that we appreciated the opportunity to dress for the formal nights and enjoy a ship that dresses up for dinner. This was the kind of ambiance we were looking for and we found it with Celebrity. I would say that the vast majority of people observed the dress codes. It was so nice to see the men in tuxes and suits/ties and the women in their gowns and dresses. Even the children were nicely dressed.

I never felt that the ship was crowded and we never had to wait for anything. I enjoyed the intimate atmosphere of Zenith and the fact that she was easily navigated and I didn't keep getting lost :) . We always found a chair by the pool or a seat in the Windsurf Cafe for casual lunches. The burgers by the pool were especially good.

We attended the Broadway show and the 50's and 60's show. I very much enjoyed both performances and the Celebrity Singers and Dancers got a standing ovation at both. We enjoyed the Cova Cafe and the Los Amigos trio who played there. We attended both parties by the pool while in port and they were fun. The Grand Midnight Buffet was amazing. I could not believe what they could do with food :D . The chocolate cake was absolutely to die for.

Our room was spacious and had plenty of drawer space and a safe for valuables. It was great to be able to dock in both Hamilton and St. George and just walk on and off the ship at will.

This was my second cruise. My first was many years ago on Home Lines. When we decided to take a cruise again we immediately thought of Celebrity. There really was no other choice for us and we are very satisfied. Can't wait to book another cruise.

I think you will enjoy the Zenith. Don't compare her to the new mega ships, but enjoy her for all the other special things she offers.

Archived