Favorite Baltic Embarkation port?

LaraTiara

Hello Cruisers,

Am researching Baltic cruise itineraries and am in search of expert advice.

For those of you who have cruised or booked a Baltic cruise, how did you decide your embarkation port?

At first glance, I thought St Petersburg would be best. Now however, I am leaning toward Copenhagen. That way, Russian visas will not be needed on a group 2-Day tour (not through the cruise line).

Thanks for any input. :)

Thank you both.

Do either of you happen to know the Russian immigration/passport process for cruisers? It sounds like a tourist visa is not always needed for cruisers(?). Our son is a Russian adoption and we will travel with him (he'll be 18 at time of cruise). He visited Russia in younger years, but not at army age.

With the visa issue and his "dual citizenship" (Russia would still consider him a citizen), coupled with mandatory military service, I think it best to not "enter" Russia. But maybe there is no reason for concern.

I think I have just "hijacked" my own CC thread!

Edited by LaraTiara

I personally think any UK port is a good start for the Baltics but I am biased :). A lot of US people stayeed in London then hot footed it for the port (Dover). It seems less Baltic cruises leave from the UK though. I personally think Copenhagen is a little dull but I know I am in the minority.

Most Russian tour companies have a Visa included with the tour (whether its 1/2 days). You have to have the tour 'ticket' documents and the Visa document to get through security/Immigration printed and correct. Any independent tour you booked with will usually email/post to you. If you book with the ship they will deliver your Visa and ticket to your state room. With these Visas you have to stay with your tour guide and cannot leave the tour to explore on your own.

There are a handful of countries that mean you do not need a Visa to enter if you are a citizen...Israel is one example.

Btw a lot of Baltic ports offer a 'package deal' on shore tours/excursions where you can get 3/4 different port tours for an excellent price with the same company. A few couples on our cruise did this with Tallinn, Berlin (Warnemunde), Helsinki and St Petersburg.

You will love a Baltic cruise...we fell in love with Tallinn and want to go back for a land holiday.

Edited by Velvetwater

I join the minority opinion on not choosing Copenhagen. It's not that I find it especially dull, and most there do speak fluent English, but the expense of the place, like food, just knocked me down. But compared to the US that applies to greater or lesser extents throughout Europe. I think of the extreme disparity in quality and cost of food often when I am enjoying a $10 meal that would cost 3x as much in Europe with much poorer quality.

I have no answer for the OP on her son, but do find it interesting. I would seek formal and official clarification before this point if it were me. Was his name changed, does he have a US passport, does he speak Russian, is he completely Americanized? Maybe the Russian officials would be none the wiser and have no clue if you join one of the visa exempt tours. I hope the OP explains the outcome. It would satisfy my curiosity.

London is a great option.

However, we lived there as expats and have visited nearly annually since repatriating. No one potentially traveling in the family will have a sense of adventure about London. Not to mention expense of getting to the coast.. Or moreover, taking that length of time away from our work! I wish it were possible at this stage. The more we cruise, the less we enjoy work ;)

Have not been to Denmark. DH and 2 children have for a short period.. This interests me, but I appreciate all points of view. If we are only at embarkation a short while, and jetlagged at that, it may work since it's not a long journey to port.

Do any of you prefer one itinerary over the other? Any ports that were more/less interesting to you or your family?

On the other topic: Sounds like a "group tourist visa" for Russia will suffice for Russian-born son. Of course a visa is necessary. Have no idea why I thought otherwise!

Previously, on charitable trips, we travelled on religious visas, which are much more stringent. Our son was adopted in his formative years, however his place of birth on his blue US passport is "Russia".

In a worse-case event, as an American citizen, he could always appeal to his American Embassy Surely THEY

Edited by LaraTiara