Valencia - Need some help!

Has anyone been to Valencia on a cruise? I am having trouble finding out where the cruise ships dock, as there are a number of possibilities. I found the port web site, but there's nothing there to give me any clues. Does anyone know anything about Valencia??! If so, thanks!

Has anyone been to Valencia on a cruise? I am having trouble finding out where the cruise ships dock, as there are a number of possibilities. I found the port web site, but there's nothing there to give me any clues. Does anyone know anything about Valencia??! If so, thanks!

If you dock at the cruise and ferry terminal in Valencia https://maps.google.hr/maps?saddr=39.455021,-0.32619&hl=hr&ll=39.455195,-0.325513&spn=0.002154,0.004646&sll=39.454901,-0.325293&sspn=0.002154,0.004646&t=m&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=18&z=18, it's easy to leave the port on foot. Close to the terminal you can find transport to the city center. If you dock more far away in the industrial area of the port https://maps.google.hr/maps?daddr=Nepoznata+cesta&hl=hr&ll=39.451206,-0.320578&spn=0.017232,0.037165&sll=39.451186,-0.326353&sspn=0.008616,0.018582&geocode=FUTrWQId7gj7_w&dirflg=w&mra=mr&t=m&z=15, it is not recommended to walk. It's far too busy and dangerous. In most cases you will be brought to the cruise and ferry terminal by shuttle bus. The port is located about 5 km from the city

I hope that helps

We were docked in Valencia 3 weeks ago - a really ugly port so you need to go into the city centre. It is too far to walk into the city from the cruise port. However, a frequent bus (No. 4) stops at the Port entrance and takes you into the city centre for 1.50 Euro per person each walk - just follow the footprints to the bus stop. Beware that everywhere in Valencia is closed if you are in port on a Sunday.

Edited by campolady

Thank you both so much. You've cleared up my confusion. I read on a Valencia site that there was a bus 19 that could be caught close to the port, but when I finally found the street on a map, it was not very close to where I thought cruise ships came in. I also knew about the bus 4, but didn't know about the footprints to the bus - very helpful for us geographically challenged people! I also didn't know there were two different docking locations. There is a ship in town today according to marinetraffic.com and it is docked in the first area mentioned by mbeginner (and assume also by campoldady). I have read one post on CC that says that the cruise line I'm using (Oceania) provided a shuttle to a point close to the train station and tourist information center. I'm hoping that is the case, as that will help, but then I will also want to take a bus back to Oceanografic, Arts & Sciences, etc. so I was trying to figure out just what options I had.

Nope, not there on a Sunday. Our Sunday problem day is in Palma. I was hoping to rent a car there but nobody will do that unless I'm willing to pay almost $300, which I'm going to pass on.

I'd appreciate any information you guys can give me on Valencia. So far my plan is to concentrate on Arts & Sciences as I love modern architecture (and photography) but also to visit the old part of the city, too (Quart de Serranos, La Lonja, etc.)

Thank you both so much. You've cleared up my confusion. I read on a Valencia site that there was a bus 19 that could be caught close to the port, but when I finally found the street on a map, it was not very close to where I thought cruise ships came in. I also knew about the bus 4, but didn't know about the footprints to the bus - very helpful for us geographically challenged people! I also didn't know there were two different docking locations. There is a ship in town today according to marinetraffic.com and it is docked in the first area mentioned by mbeginner (and assume also by campoldady). I have read one post on CC that says that the cruise line I'm using (Oceania) provided a shuttle to a point close to the train station and tourist information center. I'm hoping that is the case, as that will help, but then I will also want to take a bus back to Oceanografic, Arts & Sciences, etc. so I was trying to figure out just what options I had.

Nope, not there on a Sunday. Our Sunday problem day is in Palma. I was hoping to rent a car there but nobody will do that unless I'm willing to pay almost $300, which I'm going to pass on.

I'd appreciate any information you guys can give me on Valencia. So far my plan is to concentrate on Arts & Sciences as I love modern architecture (and photography) but also to visit the old part of the city, too (Quart de Serranos, La Lonja, etc.)

At 200 meters walk from the cruise terminal (Manuel Soto Enginyer) you can take bus Nr. 4 to Plaça De L'Ayuntamient, right in the center of the city. The journey takes about 35 minutes.

The ticket costs € 1.50 per person (one way) and can be purchased on the bus Nr. 4 runs frequent every 15 minutes. You can consult the bus timetable in advance. Bus rute http://www.emtvalencia.es/geoportal/?lang=en_otp

Given the large distance between the port and the city center, most cruise lines provide a shuttle bus (whether or not complimentary). Most buses go to Plaça De L'Ayuntamient, right in the center of the historic city. From there you can explore everything on foot. Better check the price (if any) in advance. The public bus costs only € 1.50 per person (one way).

At the information desk of the Tourist Office in the cruise terminal you can buy a Valencia Cruise Card for € 10 per person.This includes a shuttle service, information about the city and some coupons ,etc .

http://www.visitvalencia.com/en/vlc-suggestion/plan-your-stopover-in-valencia

Free APP Valencia http://www.visitvalencia.com/appdwn-web-en/

I hope that helps

Thank you very much for this information. I've been snooping around to make sure I know where to catch bus 4. It looks to be near a circle. Would either of you happen to know if where you catch the bus to the city center is the same as where you get off coming back (same circle)? I found a diagram of the route on the bus site (EMT) but I'm not sure I can follow it enough to be know where I need to go, and where I'll be dropped off on the way back. I'm traveling with someone who would appreciate not having to wander a lot to find the bus stop, so I'd like to have a really good idea of where I need to be!

I wish I could download the app, but I'm not sure my US-only smartphone would be of any use in Spain.

Also, just in case someone reads this who's going to Palma, I meant to state that car rental will be a problem for us in Cadiz on a Sunday (not Palma).

Edited by roothy123

Roothy, don't worry about Palma on Sunday. The island is a vacation resort and you can be sure that not much will be closed in Palma. it is not like in Valencia.

Roothy, don't worry about Palma on Sunday. The island is a vacation resort and you can be sure that not much will be closed in Palma. it is not like in Valencia.

Thank you, I'm sure you're right. Of course, after I posted I realized that it is Cadiz not Palma where we will be on Sunday, and there are some things that are harder on Sunday there. I couldn't find a reasonable (under $200) car rental to visit some of the white villages, and the bus and train schedules were such that I wouldn't be able to see much of them in one day (although a relatively long one). However, we have been to Cadiz before, and know that it is a pretty nice city, plus there's always a bus or train ride to Seville and back. So I'm OK! As for Palma, I haven't decided what we'll do, but at least we will be there on a week day, so there shouldn't be closings, reduced bus and train schedules, etc. Of course the cruise ship offers some decent excursions too.

Thanks for posting!

Hi Roothy,

We visited Valencia in April & loved it.

We got a taxi from the port for 10 euros to the Oceanografic but it didn't open until 10.00 & we were there at 9.30 so we didn't visit it.

We walked the route of the old river bed taking in all the modern architecture of the City of arts & sciences. Very relaxing, we loved it. We spent ages a Gulliver's kids park as my 9 year old daughter wouldn't leave & it was pretty interesting for us too.

My planning let us down after this as I didn't have a map showing how to walk to the old town from here.

It was probably about half an hour to Plaza del Ayuntamiento asking many times for directions along the way. From here we walked to Museo Nacional de Cerámica, Placa Redonda, La Lonja de la Seda, Plaça del Mercat

Oficina de Correos, Valencia Cathedral, (not in that order).

We stopped for a snack at Horchatería Santa Catalina half way through our visit as we all wanted to try the horchata drink (very sweet) & eat a farton. We enjoyed both.

By this time we’d seen everything we wanted to see even though it was only about 2.00 so we took a taxi from near the cathedral to the ship for 15 euros.

Valencia was one of our favourite stops on the cruise. Have fun!

Michelle.

Oh, my feet are hurting just thinking about how much walking you did. But since you have a nine year, I'm sure you're much younger than I am! Valencia sounds really fun, and since I love architecture and photography, I know I'm going to have a great time with the new and the old buildings there.

I have not heard of farton, and am not familiar with some of the places you visited, but thanks for mentioning what you did and saw, as it helps me become aware of what's there so I can see where I want to go.

Thank you, I'm sure you're right. Of course, after I posted I realized that it is Cadiz not Palma where we will be on Sunday, and there are some things that are harder on Sunday there. I couldn't find a reasonable (under $200) car rental to visit some of the white villages, and the bus and train schedules were such that I wouldn't be able to see much of them in one day (although a relatively long one). However, we have been to Cadiz before, and know that it is a pretty nice city, plus there's always a bus or train ride to Seville and back. So I'm OK! As for Palma, I haven't decided what we'll do, but at least we will be there on a week day, so there shouldn't be closings, reduced bus and train schedules, etc. Of course the cruise ship offers some decent excursions too.

Thanks for posting!

Roothy, in Palma you can take a taxi ( if your cruise line provides a shuttle, normally it stops nearby) to the Cathedral of Palma. It is a beautiful church. The entrance is around a corner.

Then you can stroll down through nice small and old roads and you will find a lot of very nice shops. So you will have a cultural and lovely day. Also there are lots of bars and cafés. You do not need to make a long island tour. If you have enough time you can join the old train to Soller which crosses the island. Also to take a taxi to Valdemossa needs not too much time.For me Palma itself is first choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Was in Valencia in Dec. Ship provided a shuttle to old town.At the tourist office(in Plaza de la Reina) we booked a 3 hour walking tour of the old city which was brilliant; the tours leave just round the corner from the office at 10.30 from the Plaza de la Virgen by the Cathedral. The guide then pointed us in the direction for the local bus no95 to all the sights along the former river(the city of Arts & Sciences). It is still a long walk back to the ship but near the sites there is a bus back to the port entrance( bus no 4 from PASEO DE LA ALMEDA near the roundabout I think - again check with the guide or tourist office). The walk back is very windey because you have to get round the train lines-it took around an hour.

Cheers Roger

Thank you; that's helpful, and it's nice to know there was a shuttle, assuming we'll have one, too. (We're on Oceania on a weekday). Of course, I think I've finally figured out the bus situation in Valencia (more or less). There are stops for "port" but only the 4 goes close to the ferry/cruise port, and the other buses go by the part of the port I would call the marina!