Civitavecchia port to Rome on your own excursion

Bootsy15

As our teenage boys have no desire to visit inside the Vatican again we just wish to explore central Rome on our own when our cruise docks at Civitavecchia on 19 July.

I don't know if I have checked out the trains on Trenitalia from the station correctly but it looks as though they don't leave until after 11am and so it is hardly worth using them.

Our cruise company offer their own train or bus service but at £220+ for the four of us this seems a lot of money.

The only other alternative I can see is to arrange a private taxi to/from Rome.

Has any one got any experience with this and could perhaps guide me in the right place for the trains (if I am getting the information wrong) or could recommend a taxi firm etc. I could approach instead? Thanks:)

Edited by Bootsy15

The regional trains depart about every half hour from Civitevecchia to Rome, starting in the early am. You probably checked the Trenitalia site without putting in the time you were looking for. If you just checked today's train schedule, it will only show remaining departures for the day, not the ones that already departed....

Edited to add: Try using the Trenitalia website by putting in a date that's a few days from now. Input the departure time as 7:00 am and it will give you any options from that time forward for a least a couple of hours.

Edited by cruisemom42

The regional trains depart about every half hour from Civitevecchia to Rome, starting in the early am. You probably checked the Trenitalia site without putting in the time you were looking for. If you just checked today's train schedule, it will only show remaining departures for the day, not the ones that already departed....

Edited to add: Try using the Trenitalia website by putting in a date that's a few days from now. Input the departure time as 7:00 am and it will give you any options from that time forward for a least a couple of hours.

Thanks, I tried that and lots of trains came up - before, I was putting in our date in July and only intercity trains were showing. Do you recommend pre-booking or just turning up at the train station?

Thanks, I tried that and lots of trains came up - before, I was putting in our date in July and only intercity trains were showing. Do you recommend pre-booking or just turning up at the train station?

For a regional train there's really no need to book in advance & there are no assigned seats. When a lot of ships are in port, the trains get crowded and if you plan on getting one of the earlier trains, you'll find lots of other cruisers doing the same. You may have to stand part or all of the way. (Think of the trains as being more like a city subway system....)

• 1 month later...

Hi Cruismm42,

I'm also looking for a train from Civitavecchia to Rome in August.

In the Trenitalia site there are three Civitavecchia entries:

1. Civitavecchia

2. Civitavecchia ( Tutte Le Stazioni )

3. Civitavecchia Viale Della Vittoria

So which one is the closet to where cruise ships park?

The same question for Rome, I need to get to "Via Marsala", which station at Rome should I get off in?

Thank You,

Firas

Hi Cruismm42,

1. Civitavecchia

3. Civitavecchia Viale Della Vittoria

The same question for Rome, I need to get to "Via Marsala", which station at Rome should I get off in?

Thank You,

Firas

There is only one train station in Civitavecchia (despite the list). I select the option 2: Civitavecchia (Tutte Le Stazioni)

In Rome, Roma Termini (the main train station) is very close to Via Marsala. I assume you are meeting a tour there?

Hi Cruismm42,

1. Civitavecchia

Thank You,

Firas

Poor website, as you've already found out.

They should contract Cruisemom to re-vamp it. ;)

It's Civitavecchia, plain & simple.

"Civitavecchia Viale Della Vittoria" is the same station.

"Civitavecchia Tutte le Stazioni" is "Civi - all stations". All one of them as it happens :rolleyes:

And the regular timetable doesn't go far out, mebbe not even to next month. So for research, select the same day-of-the-week next week.

Trenitalia does seem to faff around with its times, just by a few minutes, so be sure to double-check times of trains back to Civi on the day.

Along the seafront between port & station there'll be a booth or two selling tickets (same price), and they'll usually give you a little leaflet with the day's relevant train times. Buying your tickets there, or at the news-stand at the station, avoids the queue at the station ticket office. Not that I've ever been approached at Civi, but don't buy from just "someone in the street" - it'd probably be a used ticket. Seen that scam elsewhere in the world. :rolleyes:

Tickets aren't dated. So its important that you validate them when you go to the platform (little yellow machines on the wall). If you forget, you could be fined for cheating.

NB - due to building work at the port, the temporary exit gate is further from the station. A good twenty-minute walk, instead of the usual ten.

Couldn't find a single thing to dispute in Cruisemom's posts. :)

And £220 doesn't seem a lot of money. It is a lot of money.

Busy day, plan as best you can.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

220 is a lot of money. You can buy the Birg(?) ticket for around 12 euros which will get you into Rome and you can also use it on the Metro system once in Rome. Not sure, but I think you can also use it on the buses. Google BIRG ticket and you will find lots of information. Again, you do have to make sure you validate it before you leave Civitavecchia.