Purchasing RCI drink package onboard.

I tried to search for an answer but could not seem to see what I was after.

We have always pre-purchased a premium drink package prior to sailing, but as RCI now have the cost at around $67 AUD or $58 USD for pre-purchase, I am thinking about purchasing on board.

Can anyone tell me if RCI charges the $55 USD on board? I still have quite a lot of USD and was thinking that I could use them to pay for the package by adding the cash to my sea-pass account once on board.

TIA.

Thanks for the reply Big M.

I was really after a reply from some who has purchased on board, who would be able to tell me if they charge your sea pass card $55US per day.

I understand that it is $55US in that FAQ, but it doesn't say that is the cost for on board purchase.

Yes, it is $55 US (premium package, if that is what you are after). makes no difference if you purchase onboard or prior to cruise.online. Difference being that the 55-00 onboard works out to more Aus dollars as the ships conversion rate is a shocker. If that makes sense. Fiona.

Edited by tassie cruiser

When I was on board the voyager it was more expensive to purchase on board than beforehand. Not by much though. Its well worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the reply Big M.

I was really after a reply from some who has purchased on board, who would be able to tell me if they charge your sea pass card $55US per day.

I understand that it is $55US in that FAQ, but it doesn't say that is the cost for on board purchase.

Hi Keagle, on my VOS cruise the drinks package on RCI AU was showing a lot more in AU Dollars than the $55 US so I waited until I boarded and paid $55US per day charged to my Credit Card and shown on my sea pass, I am sure you can pay cash though. You have to show your credit card because they put an extra hold on it for the package but if you put the cash on your sail card they can do the same!

I am pretty sure from memory that they take the entire amount out imediatly then every day your drinks bill shows up and is put in negative or Zero for charge.

When you board there is a stall set up to buy the drinks package and its quite easy to sign up:)

On board as you must know by your Royal sailings prices are what they are in US Dollars no more no less! by pre purchasing from RCI AU you will be paying at an exchange rate favourable to RCI AU.

I would not purchase anything from RCI AU I would wait untill you are on board and pay the correct amount in US Dollars:)

Edited by fishtaco

Yes it charges your seapass in USD so the exchange rate is dependant on your credit card or cash if you have it

TanInAus[/quote

Keagle has US Dollars cash from previous cruises so she is better to pay the $55 per day in US Cash.

When I was on board the voyager it was more expensive to purchase on board than beforehand. Not by much though. Its well worth it.

How was it more expensive? $55 US will always be $55 US no more no less?

What cost money was your conversion from AU to US dollars.

If you exchange on land into US Dollars it will be cheaper than buying it online from RCI AU

If you use 28Degree master Card onboard there are no fees for conversion so it will cost $55 US per day:)

Yes, it is $55 US (premium package, if that is what you are after). makes no difference if you purchase onboard or prior to cruise.online. Difference being that the 55-00 onboard works out to more Aus dollars as the ships conversion rate is a shocker. If that makes sense. Fiona.

Why would anyone in their right mind tick "Yes" to let RCI convert your onboard charges from US to AU for you:confused:

Your Credit card will charge much less than RCI and give a much better exchange rate than RCI.

If you purchase onboard for US Dollars with a 28 degree Master card it will be cheaper than purchasing it online through RCI AU with AU Dollars, same as if you purchase it with US Dollars cash:)

Edited by fishtaco

Why would anyone in their right mind tick "Yes" to let RCI convert your onboard charges from US to AU for you:confused:

Your Credit card will charge much less than RCI and give a much better exchange rate than RCI.

)

Not always. Actually, many cards are worse e.g. if you prefer to use American Express or Diners as just a couple of examples. There are many more.

That said, if you have chosen a low rate card and therefore know it's good, better to go with it. But the onboard rate is only 3% more, which is less than MOST credit cards, which are 4-5%.

This onboard conversion expense is one of the myths around cruising. Sure, it's not the best. But it's also not as terrible as some make out, and not as bad as cards that some people probably mistakenly suffer the cost of due to that myth.

Edited by The_Big_M

Not always. Actually, many cards are worse e.g. if you prefer to use American Express or Diners as just a couple of examples. There are many more.

That said, if you have chosen a low rate card and therefore know it's good, better to go with it. But the onboard rate is only 3% more, which is less than MOST credit cards, which are 4-5%.

This onboard conversion expense is one of the myths around cruising. Sure, it's not the best. But it's also not as terrible as some make out, and not as bad as cards that some people probably mistakenly suffer the cost of due to that myth.

Respectfully - I disagree. I was onboard the Radiance at Christmas - the exchange rate they gave me for cash was inexcess of 10% lower than what it should've been. $110AUD being equivalent to $72USD - I DON'T THINK SO! :mad:

Personally, I'd always wait to purchase the package onboard in USD with my credit card and let the bank sort it (I also use the 28 Degrees and Citibank cards now but that statement holds for the other cards I've had in the past. I know for a fact my AMEX card is a 3% conversion fee - I use it often for online shopping in the US as there is a 30% USPS shipping discount for AMEX cardholders - more than makes up for the 3% charge :D).

Its the onboard exchange rate and cruisline exchange rate that is no good! Visa has a daily exchange rate that covers all Visa/Mastercards and its usually way way better than the Ships exchange rate and on land money changers even when you factor in a credit card foreign exchange fee.:)

Edited by fishtaco

Its the onboard exchange rate and cruisline exchange rate that is no good! Visa has a daily exchange rate that covers all Visa/Mastercards and its usually way way better than the Ships exchange rate and on land money changers even when you factor in a credit card foreign exchange fee.:)

No, you should do a proper comparison.

The onboard exchange rate is provided from the same wholesale sources as anyone else. They then add their conversion percentage which is 3%.

The Visa and MasterCard rate themselves will be better than retail outlets like forex bureaux and the onboard outlet, which is also retail.

However, that does not mean that is the rate you would get on your credit card. Visa and MasterCard process the transaction. Your bank then sets its own commission rate on top, with varying rules and percentages around this.

As said above, with many banks this is 4-5%, which is HIGHER than the rate used onboard.

That said, we're talking about a differential of 1-2%. If your onboard spend is only $100 or so, that's only $1-2 difference. Not a big deal either way.

But if you've spent $1000 or more that difference becomes $10. Still not much, and not worth worrying over, in respect of the total holiday cost, but it can start to be considered.

There are some other mistakes in what you posted above. The Visa exchange rate does not cover Mastercards. MasterCard have their own rate.

Secondly, neither of them have a "daily" rate. The wholesale rate changes constantly throughout the day when currency markets are open, and you get the rate at the time the transaction is processed. If you make two transactions on the same day through your credit card, but at different times, you will get different exchange rates. The exception is half Saturday and Sunday, when currency markets are closed. This is based on US time zones.

While we are discussing drink packages - can anybody tell me if the beers in each package are the same. I know the wines and spirits change as the packages get more expensive but all the packages JUST say beer. DH drinks VB, fosters, Crown etc and I just want to order the correct package for him without worrying about, and paying for the wines and spirits that he doesn't drink.:rolleyes:

I don't think that there is a great difference between them. Forsters oil can is not included in premium so I would think that it isn't included in the beer package either.

I have not seen any other beers not included in the packs, and Forsters is the only one listed on the menus as excluded.