Switching from Galveston to New York City, what will be different?

We've cruised out of Galveston several times on the Conquest, Ecstasy and Magic. This time, we've booked on the Splendor out of New York City. Most people sailing from Galveston are from Texas or Oklahoma. Does Carnival do anything to recognize regional differences in the US or is a cruise is a cruise is a cruise?

I'm sure that I'll be the one with the weird accent. Will anything else be different?

Is there anything I need to know about the Manhattan cruise terminal?

Thanks.

I've sailed out of NY, Baltimore, and the FL ports. Never done Galveston but I don't imagine there'd be anything done about regional differences.

The only real difference I've ever noticed is that people were more dressed up for Elegant Night going out of NY than the other ports. This is not to say that you'd be out of place if dressing all fancy isn't your thing.

Enjoy the Splendor!

Cruised out of Galveston 3 times, very good crowd. Best of luck out of NY.... I would think it will be a totally different experience. We would not cruise out of NY, but mostly because of the limited ports of call and cool weather. 2 days wasted waiting for warm weather.... Just my opinion....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never cruised out of Galveston, just Florida and NYC, and a cruise is a cruise. Sailing out of NYC you will find people from all over the country as well as abroad so you will not be noticed for having an accent! We find the NYC cruise port to be well run and always have a pretty smooth embarkation. Be sure not to miss the sail away so you can see the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and the funnel passing under the Verrazano bridge. I hope you take a few days either pre or post cruise to experience a little of NYC. Enjoy your Splendor cruise!

Edited by 092306

I concur with the post above. You have people from all other the country sailing out of NY, often making it two vacations in one, seeing the city, and then cruising or vice-versa. There's no regional differences, and some may or may not pick up on your accent. As noted, the Lady Liberty, the Verrazano and the NY Skylight are highlights of sailing out of NY. The NY cruise terminal runs pretty smoothly, and whether arriving by private car or taxi. Happy sailing!!!

We have sailed out of NYC often. Our last years sailing was one of our best. We had a 12 table top at dinner. Our table mates consisted of 5 additional couples from various states and countries: England, Scotland, and the USA (NJ, NY, PA and ID.) Everyone enjoyed our dinner get together every evening and shared many stories. The camaraderie was wonderful.

Cruise prior to that one was from Florida. Sat at a table for 2, but interacted with the folks at the table next to us. Again, every couple was from a different state. They were wonderful.

New Yorkers' may move a little more quickly than most, always in a hurry to go somewhere-nowhere, (no flaming, native New Yorker here!) but they are as friendly and helpful as anyone else.

Look forward to a great cruise and take some time to enjoy NYC.

Hopefully I can give you a good viewpoint... as we sailed on the Splendor out of NYC in July and the Magic out of Galveston two weeks ago.

We are from RI, so our opinion and location may be opposite of yours!!

New York - TONS of folks from NJ and NY. Chair Hogs everywhere. Impatient People at times. And a much more diverse crowd. Lots of families and groups of all colors. LONG LONG LONG Pizza lines all week...

A lot less country music on these cruises. Entertainment really suited the crowd.

Lovely views of NYC and the Statue of Liberty as you sail away.

Galveston - NICEST people ever. No lines for Pizza all week. Things like Country Music trivia, country band etc. For this girl who knows NO country, it was certainly different!!

But besides that? It is a carnival cruise!!!

I have a review of our Splendor Cruise below.. and I am working on the Magic as we speak.

Catrin

Hello,

I've sailed out of NYC many times, never from Galveston. You will find a lot of folks from NY, NJ and CT, and others from all over. Don't be surprised if you meet other Texans! Be sure and go to the sail away if you can, to see the Statue of Liberty (the ship is WAY taller than the statue). Don't expect to get good pictures, because of the angle of the sun when you sail by - shadows. There are certain entertainers who prefer the NY itinerary, so you'll probably see different comedians, etc. Expect different music too, as others have said. I hope you can get a couple of days to see NYC pre or post cruise. The port has been refurbished within the past few years, so is in pretty good shape. Everyone is in a hurry. The iced tea is unsweetened; you have to put in your own sweetener. Oh, about the Splendour- lots of pink all over the ship! Whatever you do, don't rent a car and try to drive in NY! Have a great cruise!

I've only ever sailed out of NYC. I live in NJ so it's very convenient for us. The port operation is very efficient - we know how to move crowds of people in the NY metro area :D Be careful, you might get dizzy in the whirlwind!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the NY sail away! Never get tired of it. Go up to the very topmost deck so you don't miss anything and be sure you can get easily from one side to the other. Start on the port/left facing the bow side for the NY skyline and the Freedom Tower, then move to the starboard/right side for your sail past the NJ skyline (we have one too!) and the Statue of Liberty. Wave to the passengers on the Staten Island ferry as the ship sails into the harbor (you start out in the Hudson River). Don't forget to look aft as well, because the lower Manhattan skyline is great too and you can see the Brooklyn Bridge.

Under the Verrazano Bridge - the Whale Tail barely makes it - and you can see Brooklyn on the left and the parashoot ride tower at Coney Island. Staten Island and then Jersey again on the right.

I also loved the Splendor! Can't wait until 9/1 when I sail again. There's a link to my review and some photos in my sig.

NYC is our "homeport" and about half of our cruises have been from NYC. We have also done one cruise from Galveston and one from NOLA, both on Conquest. Aside from accents, I really don't see much difference in passengers, although NYC folks are faster paced. (I remember the first time we cruised on Conquest - our second cruise - thinking, "Why are these people ahead of us walking so slow?";)) My kids noticed that NYC cruises had more young folks interested in hip hop music than on other cruises.

As others have said, NYC sailaway is by far the best sailaway available. I've never grown tired of it and the last few times we've sailed from NYC we've booked Your Time Dining just to make sure we can make it through the harbor before dinner. You need about an hour to reach the Verazzano Bridge, and if you sail late you risk not making it under the bridge before dinner. Both sides of the river are interesting - on the NYC side you'll see the Empire State Building (and you can get a really great photo right down 34th Street as you sail by), Chelsea Piers (a sports complex that in 1912 was the site where the Carpathia disembarked Titanic's passengers), Ground Zero and the World Financial Center, the Battery (Castle Garden - the USA's first immigrant receiving area), and the Manhattan Terminal of the Staten Island Ferry. The New Jersey side isn't bad either - you'll see the Erie Lackawanna ferry terminal in Hoboken (still in use as a transportation hub), the Colgate Clock in Jersey City near the Goldman Sachs tower, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and the Jersey Central ferry terminal (now part of Liberty State Park and used for Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferries). You'll then reach the Staten Island terminal of the ferry. I love sailing past the ferries and waving at the commuters on board. (BTW, if you have time in NYC before or after your cruise, the ferry gives you great harbor views - and it's free.:D) Beyond that, you reach the Verazzano. I usually go up to one of the forward decks to sail under the bridge, because you can then turn around and photograph the funnel going under the bridge.

Beyond the bridge, Lower New York Harbor widens. However, there are still things to see - a couple of lighthouses on the Jersey side.

OP, I hope you really enjoy your NYC cruise!

Never cruised out of NY but have been there several times. I like the idea of getting there early and enjoying the city... maybe take in a Broadway Musical, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center), take a tour of NBC studios there as well, check out Time's Square, go over to Ellis Island and so forth. Basically, if you can afford it, hang out in NY a few days before you launch.

Edited by dljones

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I hadn't thought about site seeing on departure. When leaving from Galveston, the scenery is so bad that you're glad to have it behind you. The refineries, the smell, the brown water :blech:

I should have been a little clearer with my OP, we're from Oklahoma, not Texas so (IMHO) the accent won't be quite as noticeable, hopefully.

As for doing things in NYC, I've been there a couple of times (very briefly) and have seen the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and the Empire State Building. My DW has never been there so this will be a real treat for her.

We're getting to NYC the day before embarkation and will have a little time for activities. The day of debarkation will actually be our 28th anniversary (Thursday July 3rd) and we'll stay in the city until Saturday July 5th. This leads to "What should we do on the Fourth of July in New York City?" I've never had to contemplate that before. Would that be a good evening to go up to the Empire State Building and watch fireworks? Our hotel is only a few blocks from there.

Any and all tips are gratefully appreciated!!

This leads to "What should we do on the Fourth of July in New York City?" I've never had to contemplate that before. Would that be a good evening to go up to the Empire State Building and watch fireworks? Our hotel is only a few blocks from there.

Any and all tips are gratefully appreciated!!

I don't know if the Empire State Building observation deck is open during the fireworks, but that would be a great place (and probably VERY crowded to watch them from.

This year they are moving them back to the East River (they've been on the Hudson side for awhile) Macy's and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announcing that the pyrotechnic spectacle will be launched from the Brooklyn Bridge and from barges lining the East River providing spectacular views from Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan. So I'm thinking somewhere down at the South Street Seaport would be good, but do bear in mind that anywhere you can see the fireworks will be very crowded. It's worth it though - it's one of the most spectacular displays you'll see.

Enjoy!

Make sure you have a radio on your phone so you can hear the music that goes with the fireworks. Simulcast is great but the fireworks will still be fantastic without it. Happy Sails, anniversary and your visit to NYC!!

Years ago (early 90s) when the fireworks were on the East River, they would shut down a portion of the FDR Drive (the highway that runs along Manhattan's east side) and you could walk up there, bring your chairs, and watch from there. I don't know if they'll be doing that again but it was really something to see.