Yorkeys Knob March 2015 on Solstice no possibility to see GBR

saracenman

I am very pleased to advise you that I have received as very fulsome email from CEO's office and Celebrity will be looking very seriously at revising the timings!

Respect, Celebrity.

Hopefully they will make a change not only for you but all the other passengers. We had the opportunity to visit the reef on our Jewel of the Seas Cruise and it was AMAZING.

I don't blame you for pushing this issue. Do post back if you see a change.

Also, have you got others on your roll call to write too? The more the merrier!

Edited by monicajay

Aloha Sharie, long time since we have communicated! We too are booked on this cruise. Never in a million years thought that the Cairns port would be too late to see the GBR. We have written a letter to the president of Celebrity too. This was our main reason for booking this itinerary. Goodness! Shouldn't be this difficult.

We got an email from Celebrity for Rich's birthday today too so we responded that a great birthday gift would be to change the time of Cairns arrival. Hoping we get somewhere with this. We have already set up hotels and flights but also purchased insurance on those so we can still reconsider this itinerary.

Aloha

Cheryl & Rich hope all is well with you and your family:)

I think pushing the issue would assist Celebrity in realizing it could optimize some of it's ports. So why not? Obviously these passengers would rather cruise Celebrity.

I will say I noticed Azamara had a nice iten there and disembarks in Cairns. That's how I remember it. Maybe worth a double check.

Happy Birthday Rich!

From Yorkeys Knob, you could only get as far as Green Island anyway on a daytrip from a ship, and that is certainly not the best of the Reef.

If you want to see the best of the Reef, you need to go to Port Douglas and spend a couple of days there

Or book a cruise that stops in Port Douglas.

Not quite right. You can certainly go out to the outer reef from Cairns - not just Green Island. We did a ship's tour off Radiance (anchored off Yorkeys Knob) which picked up directly from the ship and took us to the outer reef - the same part of the reef the tour operators go to out of Port Douglas. That was with Reef Magic who were surprisingly VERY good. Have previously gone with Quicksilver out of Port Douglas (mediocre) and Haba out of Port Douglas (good) - based on the quality of coral and fish we saw from each of their sites.

I am very pleased to advise you that I have received as very fulsome email from CEO's office and Celebrity will be looking very seriously at revising the timings!

Respect, Celebrity.

VERY happy for you that Celebrity is listening. I hope you have a wonderful, memorable trip to the GBR. If Celebrity does put on a ship's excursion I would advise you to take it as you'd save the hassle of a 25 minute tender into Yorkeys Knob (nothing there except a yacht club) then trying to get a shuttle or taxi into Cairns which takes another 20 minutes. A ship's excursion would pick you up from the ship.

The mooring place at Yorkeys Knob has a resident giant turtle and huge wrasse. You can have underwater photos taken with both. Nowhere near Green Island.

Do take the ships excursion.

Taken with my camera

Turtle (tortoise?)

bumada8y.jpg

Wrasse

6y2a8e4u.jpg

Clam

ydynyme5.jpg

Taken by the pontoon photographer. 3egute7u.jpg

Edited by Pushka