First Cruise out of Cape Liberty - Need Advice!

Hi everyone!

Heading to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty in just a few weeks, and need some advice. While this will be our 4th cruise, it's our first out of Bayonne, and we have a handful of questions we'd like help with.

We got a great deal on our airfare, and will be arriving at Newark at 9 AM the Saturday before our cruise, giving us ample time to do a little sightseeing in NYC. A couple of questions...

Would you recommend staying in NYC or in Staten Island?

If we stay in NYC...

• What is the easiest way to get from EWR to the city? Train? Cab? Other? Any idea on costs?
  • Do you have any hotels you'd recommend?
  • What is the easiest way to get from the hotel to the port? I'm assuming a cab? Any idea on cost here?

If we stay in Staten Island...

• The Hampton Inn appears to be our best choice. There will be 4 of us (2 couples), so we'd want a 2 Queen bed room.
  • Am I reading things correctly that this hotel offers a free shuttle from both EWR and to the cruise port? It sounds like it's by reservation only, so do I just book this when calling to book the room?
  • I'm thinking if we stay here, our best bet to get to the city in the Staten Island Ferry, especially since it is free? Thoughts? How late does it run at night? If we stay in the city until 1 AM or so, are we going to be able to take it back to the hotel?

This community was tremendously helpful in booking our cruise and picking our cabin, so I'm very much looking forward to any advice and suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone!

Heading to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty in just a few weeks, and need some advice. While this will be our 4th cruise, it's our first out of Bayonne, and we have a handful of questions we'd like help with.

We got a great deal on our airfare, and will be arriving at Newark at 9 AM the Saturday before our cruise, giving us ample time to do a little sightseeing in NYC. A couple of questions...

Would you recommend staying in NYC or in Staten Island?

If we stay in NYC...

• What is the easiest way to get from EWR to the city? Train? Cab? Other? Any idea on costs?
  • Do you have any hotels you'd recommend?
  • What is the easiest way to get from the hotel to the port? I'm assuming a cab? Any idea on cost here?

If we stay in Staten Island...

• The Hampton Inn appears to be our best choice. There will be 4 of us (2 couples), so we'd want a 2 Queen bed room.
  • Am I reading things correctly that this hotel offers a free shuttle from both EWR and to the cruise port? It sounds like it's by reservation only, so do I just book this when calling to book the room?
  • I'm thinking if we stay here, our best bet to get to the city in the Staten Island Ferry, especially since it is free? Thoughts? How late does it run at night? If we stay in the city until 1 AM or so, are we going to be able to take it back to the hotel?

This community was tremendously helpful in booking our cruise and picking our cabin, so I'm very much looking forward to any advice and suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance!!

What is your exact date? What is your budget for a room with two queen beds? I'm assuming the two couples are splitting the cost of one room. What are you planning to do in Manhattan?

Please don't get hung up on the "free" shuttle stuff. I'm not sure Staten Island is the best choice for your group for a variety of reasons. Airtrain at Newark airport is currently closed for maintenance and it's my understanding you have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal to P4, which is where the hotel shuttles pick up. Chances are it will take you up to an hour to get to The Hampton Inn on Staten Island. If you want to go to midtown Manhattan, it will take you another hour and a half to get to the ferry, ride across to lower Manhattan, and take the subway to midtown and the same amount of time late at night to get back to Staten Island.

I will look around for hotels in Jersey City or Secaucus, but I need to know your date and budget. You should be able to get a car service in NJ to take your group from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port for no more than $75 per trip.

One more question - are you really planning to be out as late as 1 am? If so, you need to consider staying somewhere that has 7x24 public transit.

What is your exact date? What is your budget for a room with two queen beds? I'm assuming the two couples are splitting the cost of one room. What are you planning to do in Manhattan?

Please don't get hung up on the "free" shuttle stuff. I'm not sure Staten Island is the best choice for your group for a variety of reasons. Airtrain at Newark airport is currently closed for maintenance and it's my understanding you have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal to P4, which is where the hotel shuttles pick up. Chances are it will take you up to an hour to get to The Hampton Inn on Staten Island. If you want to go to midtown Manhattan, it will take you another hour and a half to get to the ferry, ride across to lower Manhattan, and take the subway to midtown and the same amount of time late at night to get back to Staten Island.

I will look around for hotels in Jersey City or Secaucus, but I need to know your date and budget. You should be able to get a car service in NJ to take your group from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port for no more than $75 per trip.

One more question - are you really planning to be out as late as 1 am? If so, you need to consider staying somewhere that has 7x24 public transit.

Hi there! We'll be flying in on Saturday June 7th (arrive into Newark at 9 AM), and then board our cruise the next day. You are correct, looking to split a 2 queen bed room. We know hotels aren't likely to be terribly cheap, but ideally we could do the night for under $300. Is staying at an airport hotel a decent option, or just too much construction and hassle right now?

In terms of staying out late - I suppose it would all depend on what our transportation options dictate. We don't have any real agenda for NYC - probably a trip to the 9/11 Memorial - but other than that nothing is really a "must" to do our see.

Thanks for all the help!!

Your main problem is finding rooms with two queen beds. The Courtyard Newark is showing at $179 for June 7 and is almost sold out, so I would reserve it IMMEDIATELY.

I will post more after I work out a more detailed strategy for you.

You are very late in searching for a two queen bed accommodation. These accommodations are scarce, possibly because other cruisers have snapped them up already.

If you can manage your luggage, you may want to take the ground shuttle transportation to the P4 Airtrain station, which is the pickup point for the free hotel shuttles. Otherwise you may want to arrange a car service to take you directly to the hotel. This should cost no more than $25-30. Call the hotel directly to make sure they can store your luggage if you can't check into your room at an early hour.

From the hotel you should take a cab directly to Newark Penn Station. This should also be in the $25-30 range. From Newark Penn Station you take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station for $5/pp each way. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

PATH trains are currently not running to the World Trade Center on weekends due to track construction. To get to the 911 Memorial you have to go to NY Penn Station and take the 8th Ave subway E train to World Trade Center.

When you're ready to come back, take the train from NY Penn Station back to Newark Penn Station and a cab back to the hotel. The last train is at 1:22 am.

To get to the port arrange a car service. For a budget quote I would first call Independent driver - 888-816-0973. This is a no frills service with no web site, but cruisers have been using them successfully for several years. The cost should be about $45 for four people. Other services are Dial7 and Carmellimo and they will be more expensive.

I see that the Courtyard Newark Airport no longer has rooms with two queens for your date. However, the downtown Newark Courtyard does have rooms. This is a new hotel with excellent reviews. However, it is in downtown Newark, so you have to pay attention to your surroundings and take cabs. This hotel does offer airport transportation. The same basic strategies mentioned before would apply. However, cab fare between Newark Penn Station and the hotel would be significantly less since it is only a few blocks away.

Oops - just saw your post. Guess you got the last room. You might want to look at the other Courtyard. Normally we don't send folks to downtown Newark unless it is the Hilton Penn Station, but the Courtyard is a new offering with good reviews. The logistics are a little better because of its proximity to Newark Penn Station for sightseeing and it is about the same distance from the port.

Edited by 138east