Feb., NJ to Bahamas -- How's the weather?

sayok

Hey there, I’m considering my first cruise out of a “northern” port (have always cruised out of FL or PR) in February… looking at the Quantum out of Cape Liberty to the Bahamas. I’m wondering what to expect for weather and choppiness of the seas for that route & time of year. According to the itinerary you don’t get to FL until 1pm on day 3 and you leave the Bahamas to start the trip north at 5pm on day 5. I’m debating whether it’s worth it if we need to stay indoors on days 1, 2, 6 & 7 (if it’s too cold). I realize that in February even the days in FL/Bahamas could be iffy as far as temperatures go, but I can pretty much guarantee it’ll be considerably warmer than here in Boston at that time J

Have done it on the Carnival Splendor..late October and again in early April and even then the.first sea day is COLD ...because even if you are lucky and go during a relative warm spell, the ocean waters are still in 40's and that obviously makes the air cold. The second day it starts to warm up a little...lite jacket...it won't really get shorts weather til you get down to georgia/Florida area...on a ship like the Quantum it is extra tough because there is no retractable top over the Lido deck so it forces everyone inside...l.on the Splendor ateast you could use the whole Lido and pool because of the top. I think I would fly down and leave from Florida...otherwise half the trip is cold/cool just my opinion

sent from my commodore 64

And from talking to the crew they say it is one of the roughest winter runs ....high seas....we didn't have it on ours but the waiter was telling us stories....

sent from my commodore 64

I just did this cruise on the NCL Breakaway in February from NYC. The first day was cold (snow on the ground here) but nothing a good sail away drink couldn't handle. LOL :p

In all seriousness, the next day was a bit warmer. The 3rd day was AMAZING and we had the most perfect weather days 3, 4, 5 & 6. There was A LOT to do when it was chilly out. I don't think you'll be bored! :cool:

IMHO, living in NY...it is SO GREAT to leave from NY! You'll be leaving cold weather here and going to 80 degree perfect days (hopefully!).

Good luck to you! ;)

Did NYC to Bahamas back in Feb 2010,

Sailaway was sunny, beautiful but cold...

First day at sea was cold in the morning but in the afternoon we found a sopt on deck with no wind, again sunny and we "just ok" to take jacket off and enjoy the sun.

Day 2 was surprisingly hot even in the morning

Florida and Bahamas was very good ( weather wise )

Last day at sea was cold and no sun on 20' waves ... a lot of people seasick on the ship...not us :D

Came back to port and had to shovel our way out of the parking space :eek:

I would do a winter cruise again but I would buy the spa pass !

Like others have said, the sea can be whatever...so I would not worry about that.

Enjoy !

I have done one February cruise from NY to the Bahamas or the Caribbean for the last 8 years or so.

Generally the first full day is cold and sometimes rough until you pass Cape Hatterous, after that its never been a problem and always warm enough to be on the pool deck. Carnival's ships have a covered pool(movable roof) for everyone.

On the way back its normally fine again until Cape Hatterous.

Over the years we've done many cruises out of NY/NJ in the winter months. Sometimes the first and last day are in the low 70's, smooth as glass and we've been in the pool. Sometimes it's been cold and nasty and we were rockin' and rollin'. There's just no way to predict. We have sailed in the summer months and although overall warmer, sometimes it's been a lot rougher then in the Jan/Feb. Even in winter,when the option is NY/NJ or fly to a cruiseport......The first and last day, I'd still rather sail out of NY/NJ and be on a ship then in and out of airports and on and off of planes. Now....if there were just more options in the winter months out of NY/NJ!

Hey there, I’m considering my first cruise out of a “northern” port (have always cruised out of FL or PR) in February… looking at the Quantum out of Cape Liberty to the Bahamas. I’m wondering what to expect for weather and choppiness of the seas for that route & time of year. According to the itinerary you don’t get to FL until 1pm on day 3 and you leave the Bahamas to start the trip north at 5pm on day 5. I’m debating whether it’s worth it if we need to stay indoors on days 1, 2, 6 & 7 (if it’s too cold). I realize that in February even the days in FL/Bahamas could be iffy as far as temperatures go, but I can pretty much guarantee it’ll be considerably warmer than here in Boston at that time J

We went out of Bayonne on Explorer in March 2013 to Port Canaveral, then on to Nassau & Coco key. The weather leaving in March, was quite cool and we weren't able to be outside as much as we liked. By the time we got to Port Canaveral, it was only 55 degrees and quite windy. Seas were quite choppy between Bayonne & Pt. Canaveral. Once we got to Nassau, the weather was quite beautiful and same at Coco Key. Water temps in coco key were cool for me, so I just laid on the beach! Hubby went snorkeling and said it was fine. I'd say it's always hit or miss with the sailing part, but weather is something that will be cold leaving Bayonne in February. Good luck in whatever you choose and have fun!