What are the beaches like in Costa Maya? Snorkeling?

Ocruise

Mahahual was ok but Uvero was better over all. More secluded, better snorkling. We built big sand castle in Mahahual. The sand had an odd sewer-like smell but also held together for a great castle. Alabama/Florida sugar sand this is not, nor is it peagravel like the Med.

Nitro, we plan on visiting Mahahaul Thursday, April 22 so we can enjoy the beach. Please tell me more about snorkeling there. rev, tell me more about "Uvero was better over all" please and thanks to both,

cardor

Hi,

We were in Costa Maya last week. It is one of the most beautiful places I have seen in the Carribean yet. But the beaches are not like the panhandle of Florida. The water is absolutely gorgeous especially when the waves crash on the rocky coast line. My husband and I were wanting to have a nice beach day here and we went into the village where the beaches were much nicer than at the pier. But there was not alot of beach or lounge chairs so we just shopped a little bit and went back to the pier and laid out at the pool which was still nice. Next time we will probably do a beach excursion.

Haven't been to Mahahaul, so can't compare, but Uvero Beach was lovely. The sand was white and sort of grainey. The water was a beautiful blue. My hubby snorkled off of the beach and really enjoyed it. You can stand up for a long ways. There's some areas with seaweed, and he said the best fish were right along the edges of the seaweed. There a tons of chairs and a buch of plastic lounge things that are in the sand. paddle boats and kayaks aree free to borrow. There are some shops and a nice restaurant as well as two bars. There was volleyball both in the sand and in the water, as well as some other games going on. Also a playground for little kids and massages available in a hut down the beach.

Archived