Which toy to use as camera?

I plan to bring aboard my iPhone, iPad Mini, and maybe my camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH25), but was hoping not to have to bring all three. The iPhone would be for emergency and/or as a camera; the iPad would be to used to play Scrabble during meals alone and as a camera; and then there's the camera itself. The iPad takes great photos and can zoom, but is bulky to carry on shore tours. Should I limit myself to the iPhone to take shore photos, or should I bring the little Panasonic for that? Too many choices here. Thanks for your sage advice! :rolleyes:

We unfortunately are bringing all 3 each. The tablets will stay in the cabin though and will be loaded with library books. They're good on the plane as well.

We learned the importance of backup cameras in Iceland so are bringing two. We also have different photography styles.

The phones are good for quick shots and we'll be bringing them for communication regardless.

I'll actually do you one better. I'm also bringing my IPod because all my music is on that. And I have more storage space on it so can put the cruise photos on it pretty easily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Zooming on an iPad or iPhone or a similar device means Digital Zoom where you lose resolution when you zoom. That will mean the resolution of the picture gets worse at the higher level of zoom. Go print a picture of a Zoomed one taken with your tablet or phone, you will easily see the difference. Me, I use a very good Canon T4i and large zoom Lens only. I have very few phone or tablet photos that have been printed, but lots taken with no zoom.

Zooming on an iPad or iPhone or a similar device means Digital Zoom where you lose resolution when you zoom. That will mean the resolution of the picture gets worse at the higher level of zoom. Go print a picture of a Zoomed one taken with your tablet or phone, you will easily see the difference. Me, I use a very good Canon T4i and large zoom Lens only. I have very few phone or tablet photos that have been printed, but lots taken with no zoom.

Yes, you are absolutely right, Stevie....I had forgotten that, and this has convinced me to take only my camera on shore tours. Many thanks for the reminder!

So, let me add in a few more comments... :) It is funny to watch people take pictures with a 10" tablet. Was just at Yosemite and saw a few of these. Me, I have a Canon SX50 which has a 50x optical (1200mm) zoom. Takes great pictures, lots of capabilities similar to a DSLR but easy to use.

About which camera to take on excursions, if you are doing water ones, you will most probably need a waterproof camera as well... Am looking for one and will probably get the Canon D120. I have used a DicaPac over the past years with a Canon A560 which does a good job but a bit bulky. But if you already have a point/shoot camera and looking for easy waterproofing, the DicaPac is the way to go.

In regards to books, there is a digital book site called TUEBL which allows you to download digital books at no cost and no time limits. My tablets come out on planes (watching movies or reading), when in bed reading, or on the cruise ship decks.

Steve

So, let me add in a few more comments... :) It is funny to watch people take pictures with a 10" tablet. Was just at Yosemite and saw a few of these. Me, I have a Canon SX50 which has a 50x optical (1200mm) zoom. Takes great pictures, lots of capabilities similar to a DSLR but easy to use.

About which camera to take on excursions, if you are doing water ones, you will most probably need a waterproof camera as well... Am looking for one and will probably get the Canon D120. I have used a DicaPac over the past years with a Canon A560 which does a good job but a bit bulky. But if you already have a point/shoot camera and looking for easy waterproofing, the DicaPac is the way to go.

In regards to books, there is a digital book site called TUEBL which allows you to download digital books at no cost and no time limits. My tablets come out on planes (watching movies or reading), when in bed reading, or on the cruise ship decks.

Steve

Thanks for the tips, Steve. My iPad Mini is 8 inches, and yes, it does look funny and awkward to use as a camera. I won't be needing a waterproof camera. I like the sound of your Canon SX50, but I prefer a smaller size. My Panasonic, unfortunately, has only 16 megapixels and an 8x zoom, but until I hear of another pocket point-and-shoot that I can afford, mine will do the trick.

Thanks for the tips, Steve. My iPad Mini is 8 inches, and yes, it does look funny and awkward to use as a camera. I won't be needing a waterproof camera. I like the sound of your Canon SX50, but I prefer a smaller size. My Panasonic, unfortunately, has only 16 megapixels and an 8x zoom, but until I hear of another pocket point-and-shoot that I can afford, mine will do the trick.

Understand about the size. The SX50 weighs about 1 pound and is a bit smaller than a DSLR body (without the lens attached). Will "not" fit into a pocket but does have a neck strap that you can fit over your shoulder and wear it on the side.

In regards to the megapixels and zoom. Yes, 8 is on the low-end of today's cameras. The 16MP is on the upper end. About the MP, I was told by someone who was VERY MUCH into photography that you don't need a lot of MP unless you are going to take the photo and zoom into a specific area. This would be equivalent to a digital zoom capability. For me, the SX50 has 12MP but I keep it scaled back to 4MP. The pictures are amazing and you can print big images with very little pixelization. I have printed a 2MP photo to 14x18 and unless you get within 12" of the picture, you would never know. I have also built a panoramic photo of 7 shots at 4MP and printed at 12x48 (shot of Zion NP behind the museum at dawn). The photo is very impressive.

So, my recommendation would be to lower the 16MP down to 4 or 5 which will also increase the number of pictures you can take on a single card. For me, a 16Gb card at 4MP can give me 6000+ pictures.

Steve