Taking prescription drugs

Host Sharon

I am booked on HAL's Zaandam from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via the Falklands and Antarctica. It is my first time in South America I am on prescribed codeine based pain relief for arthritis and wondered if I was allowed to bring them into the countries? I could keep them with a repeat prescription of course.

Edited by Host Sharon
spelling

Shouldn't be any problem. Best to keep them in the original labeled vial, and yes, with a copy of the prescription should you need more. Many SA countries have more liberal rules for prescription vs OTC medication anyway though.

I am booked on HAL's Zaandam from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso via the Falklands and Antarctica. It is my first time in South America I am on prescribed codeine based pain relief for arthritis and wondered if I was allowed to bring them into the countries? I could keep them with a repeat prescription of course.

I wouldn't worry - I've taken prescription meds into Chile, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia and never had a problem. Most countries are more concerned with food being brought into the country than small amounts of prescribed or pharmacy drugs.

I had over three weeks worth of meds with me and the only problem I encountered was going through the airport checkpoint in Lima for the flight to Santiago. My needles for my insulin pens caused a bag inspection. The person doing the check kept asking me to show the syringes. I had to demonstrate how the pens work and that there were no syringes. He finally gave me clearance. Other than that, no one questioned me about the "healthy" quantity of meds in my carry-on bag. I did bring copies of my prescriptions but since most of my meds are 90 day mail order size bottles, it would have been too much bring all the bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the medicine as you said in the original prescription bottle with your name, etc. you will be fine. We have never been questioned about medicine, and my husband takes many poills a day, never a problem. We were in Buenos Aires this past January, you will have a great time, we did in the first of January (their summer) and had very smooth seas.