Silhouette Alcoves - worth the cost?

leeselee

I was looking at the extras that can be tagged onto a booking (aren't there a lot of them :confused)

I saw that you can book an alcove for a sea day or a port day and I thought that maybe it might be fun to book one for myself and my husband for a sea day (thus guaranteeing somewhere to actually sit!!! lol!)

Well, apart from not being able to book anything on the site at the moment (it seems to be working much like the RCCL site where one cannot book anything at anytime! the details are quite vague.

How long is the reserved period for - surely it cannot be all day?

I know I could tag on some spa services to my time in the alcove if I wanted to but I thought it would be either morning or afternoon, but unless I am unable to read correctly, I cannot see where it states a time frame and as I said, it was suggesting I book onboard or 'try later'!!!

does anyone have any more information?

Never been but reserved 3 days on our upcoming europe 12 night cruise on Silhouette.

I was told yesterday, when i reserved the 3rd one after deciding not to go off ship in Turkey, that they will be available to us from 9h am to 9hpm. Our cruise documents showed from 3h am to 5h am but i was told that is just the way to computer puts it in order not to conflict with other things you may have reserved during that day.

You can go in and out of your alcove all day long, no one will take it from you as a sign with your name will be put next to it showing reserved.

Hope this helped,

Josee.

Also, i had to call the both time i wanted to reserve one as it never showed online for our sailing.

I had read that it sometime happens. You just have to call specialty dinning reservation department line and they will do it for you .

Website for us yesterday showed " sold out " or " not available" and when i call, i was able to get one for the day i wanted.

Also, you can get a discount by booking multiple days. From 10% to 20% but was told to inquire at guest service upon boarding since every cruise has a different ratio to give the discount. I should have 10% back when i board, since i got 3 days of alcove.

I was looking at the extras that can be tagged onto a booking (aren't there a lot of them :confused)

I saw that you can book an alcove for a sea day or a port day and I thought that maybe it might be fun to book one for myself and my husband for a sea day (thus guaranteeing somewhere to actually sit!!! lol!)

Well, apart from not being able to book anything on the site at the moment (it seems to be working much like the RCCL site where one cannot book anything at anytime! the details are quite vague.

I know I could tag on some spa services to my time in the alcove if I wanted to but I thought it would be either morning or afternoon, but unless I am unable to read correctly, I cannot see where it states a time frame and as I said, it was suggesting I book onboard or 'try later'!!!

We just got off the Reflection and had booked alcoves for a sea day and a port day. The sea day started out well - it was sunny and pleasant in the alcove and the staff was very helpful. Some of the alcoves have more privacy than others (the way the hedges are placed in front of them). I was hoping to choose mine, but my name was on it when I got there and I was told it was the best one when I asked if I could choose. I felt ours had less privacy than some.

When we arrived, my husband asked about having a spa service in the alcove (the website had a menu of services including scalp massage, foot massage, etc. and he thought that would be nice. I personally wouldn't want that to be happening while people are walking by :)). Canyon Ranch had just transitioned a couple of weeks before, and when called, they would not do any treatments in the alcove. The managers of the alcoves and the spa had a discussion and couldn't work it out. The Lawn Club Grill manager (also responsible for the alcoves) felt terrible about it and personally apologized and invited us for a free lunch at the Lawn Club Grill (which was great).

Meanwhile, about the only rain we had on the cruise started in - a sudden storm that unloaded on us - the alcove people ran out and got the cover up very quickly and we didn't get too wet. The sun came back out, but the canopy stayed up in case it happened again. I eventually left - I really didn't like the feel of people at the restaurant and those walking by looking in at us. My husband was fine and enjoyed a nice afternoon of reading and relaxing in the comfortable seats. I cancelled the port day alcove since we found that our own balcony was sunny, quiet and private.

They may have worked out the spa issue by now (and maybe Silhouette is different). I think if that storm hadn't come up, I probably would have had a better time. The people there are great. If you do reserve one, I would scope them out when you get onboard and see if you can reserve a particular one (at the Lawn Club Grill). You also might check to see when the wine and cheese party on the lawn is planned as it would be wonderful to have an alcove for that (since you would have it until 9PM).

we rented the alcove for 3 sea days on the 2/8 reflection sailing. As stated, they are from 9am until 9 pm. The lawn club grill waiters are the butlers for the alcoves. They will get you what you want anytime by picking up the phone in the alcove. They also provide several large waters and a cheese and fruit plate as an afternoon snack. We had them get us lunch at the porch, and drinks from the sunset bar with no problem. They are not for everyone, but we like to be able to take our time and go get a nice seating area without a fight. We have booked them for the entire week for our 11/8 western Carib sailing on reflection coming up in the fall.

The reserve period is indeed for all day. You can stay all day, or go for a while, leave and come back again later. The Lawn Club grill staff will serve you drinks, and there's a phone in the alcove to call your attendant. We sometimes find that the attendants are busy and we can get quicker service either walking to the Sunset Bar, or letting one of the roving Sunset Bar waiters know that the extra tips will be there if he'll keep checking on us and we get very good service that way.

They will bring you 4 large water bottles and you can get a fruit plate as well, as part of the rental. You can also order lunch from the Porch (normal Porch surcharge), and if you are in a Sky Suite or higher, you can have your butler bring you snacks as well if you let him know ahead of time what you'd like and when.

Occasionally there will be an organized game of croquet on the lawn.... one day they had officers vs. guests. It was kind of loud and boisterous during that time, but otherwise was very quiet and peaceful up there, and generally uncrowded. People wander through the lawn, some put towels down and lay out for a while, others get in the over-sized Adirondack chairs for photo ops, or nap in the hammocks. You can generally have the canopy top up or down and the attendant will adjust it for you. Depending on the wind, they may require it to be folded up so shade isn't always guaranteed.

We have rented them both times we were on Reflection, for multiple days, and thoroughly enjoy them. Others feel they are a waste of money, but what one considers a value is very subjective. They are $99/day on port days and $149/day on sea days.

Thanks everyone!

I think my husband would like this - now I am just wondering how I am going to do this as a treat without him finding out :p

Just one more thing - as there is only two of us in our party and we value our quality and alone time - there isn't any chance of us being sat right next to another couple is there? :eek:

Honestly - we are NOT anti social, but we just like being social when we want to, if you know what I mean (and we both tend to fall asleep in the sun rather a lot! :rolleyes: )

Thanks again

Just one more thing - as there is only two of us in our party and we value our quality and alone time - there isn't any chance of us being sat right next to another couple is there? :eek:

They are not 100% private, but if you are in yours you really can't see the people in the next alcove unless you stand up in front of your own alcove. It's not like an airplane seat where if the person next to you is right there and can just start talking to you. For someone in the next alcove to talk to you they would literally have to stand up and walk over and stand in front of your alcove. :)