Another Seattle July 4th Fireworks ?

ccmg

From what I understand and have read there are no fireworks in the downtown area on the 4th of July. There are some people on our cruise that have made reservations at the Space Needle's restaurant so they can see fireworks. Is that possible? I think I read that the nearest would be at Lake Union and they would start around 10:30?

The biggest local display is on Lake Union, which is a bit north of downtown. It would be pretty easy to get there from any downtown hotel.

You'd have a pretty good view from the Space Needle, and a better one from any of the restaurants along the lakefront (try China Harbor, McCormick & Schmick's Harborside, Daniel's Broiler, Chandler's Crabhouse, Eastlake Bar & Grill). If money is no object, Canlis would have a fabulous view, set back a little but probably about at eye-level with the fireworks!

Another option is to take a tour boat out to the lake. Argosy Cruises does a bunch, with or without dinner included.

If you want to do any of the above, I would recommend reserving it now!

Or if you want to see the fireworks like a local (the locals who don't own boats, at least!), you could take a picnic and a blanket (and very possibly an umbrella) and go to Gas Works Park at the north end of the lake. It sounds like they'll also have a party set up at South Lake Union Park (which is new--it was a big construction zone until very recently) but I'm betting the biggest crowd will be at Gas Works, as always. Take a taxi or transit, go early, and bring sunscreen (you can get a sunburn through clouds, as all Seattlites know too well!)

Edited by Casagordita

Another option is to take a tour boat out to the lake. Argosy Cruises does a bunch, with or without dinner included.
We've done this a couple of times and it's (a) a blast and (b) pretty good value. The locks/fireworks cruise is a terrific way to see some of the city that most visitors don't get to, and the scene on Lake Union and during the show is great.

Going through the Ship Canal - http://gardyloo.us/20110705_35s.JPG

Gasworks park from the lake - http://gardyloo.us/20110705_72s.JPG

Waiting for the show - http://gardyloo.us/20110705_64s2.JPG

Last light - http://gardyloo.us/20110705_91s.JPG

Kaboom - http://gardyloo.us/20110705_214s.JPG

From what I understand and have read there are no fireworks in the downtown area on the 4th of July. There are some people on our cruise that have made reservations at the Space Needle's restaurant so they can see fireworks. Is that possible? I think I read that the nearest would be at Lake Union and they would start around 10:30?

we have figured out we could use bus/trolley system to get to South Lake Union pretty easy from the Sheraton...I want to double check the late hours for the return. There are ticketed seats available at Gas Works and South Lake Union - my only concern is how much walking will be involved since my friend has some knee problems. I'd rather do that - cheaper than the needle or the cruises

we have figured out we could use bus/trolley system to get to South Lake Union pretty easy from the Sheraton...I want to double check the late hours for the return. There are ticketed seats available at Gas Works and South Lake Union - my only concern is how much walking will be involved since my friend has some knee problems. I'd rather do that - cheaper than the needle or the cruises

The South Lake Union Streetcar (which many locals call by its original name, the South Lake Union Trolley, or better, by its acronym) goes right to South Lake Union Park, from a point near the Westin. Unfortunately, their website says it stops running at 7 pm on Sundays and holidays. That would be very silly on the Fourth of July, when it could potentially have more riders about 11 pm when the fireworks end than it gets in a week normally--but nobody ever accused transit agencies of being sensible about their schedules. You could contact them and see if they have any plans to run later that night.

Some Metro bus routes run late, some don't. You'd need to figure it out by looking at the Metro website--and make sure you're looking at the holiday schedule. You will have plenty of company leaving either park by bus. If your friend is visibly disabled, people might have mercy, but otherwise you may end up waiting in line a while at the bus stop, and then standing up on the bus. So I would strongly suggest that your friend bring a cane!

A cab wouldn't cost so very much, and it wouldn't be hard to get one down there--but catching one back might be more of a challenge, since you'll have a bit of competition with the same idea. Maybe you could make a deal with a cab driver to come back and pick you up at a set time?

Those were the things I want to double check - so thanks for the direct links.

I'm not interested in spending a lot of money in Seattle on cabs or getting stuck in crowds late at night in a place I don't know. I'm not that brave a traveler!

oh hey - in 4 weeks, 6 days I'll be doing whatever we decide!!!

Thanks again for all the great info. Since we will be arriving on the 4th, not sure we will want to make the trip to Lake Union. I'm certain by the time the fireworks start that the 3 hour time difference will have kicked in big time. Just wasn't sure how much one could really see from the space needle's restaurant.

Thanks again for all the great info. Since we will be arriving on the 4th, not sure we will want to make the trip to Lake Union. I'm certain by the time the fireworks start that the 3 hour time difference will have kicked in big time. Just wasn't sure how much one could really see from the space needle's restaurant.

We're arriving on the 3rd [after a work day]. We'll get into downtown in the wee hours of the 4th - so I hear you on the time difference. There is so much to do in Seattle that I can only do there, so fireworks would be nice if we can get there and back downtown easily.