Cell phone usage

Lucky's_mom

Hi Can someone please tell me if I can use my cell phone onboard, I'm going on the Eastern Caribbean Splendor. Going to San Juan, I know I can use it there but can I use it at St.Thomas, Grand Turks and Caicos without any extra charges?

Thx in advance

Lucky's_mom

:)

St. Thomas and San Juan are considered domestic U.S. rates for all the major carriers. Grand Turk is not. I use free Wi-Fi from Jack's Shack to make 2 cent per minute Skype calls in Grand Turk, but any wifi will do.

Edited by Davey Wavey

Hi Davey Wavey' date='

Thx for your input. I'll definitely keep that in mind. So can I skype or facetime with wifi on the ship or will that be roaming fees?

thx[/quote']

Many cruise lines block Skype and Facetime. They traffic hogs .WiFi and Cell phones on ships aren't free . WiFi runs $0.50 in packages .

text will go through your phone carrier... you would need to check the prices with them and see if Carnival provides for that carrier's service. But in port, you can do it, again, probably with roaming except in St Thomas and PR.

Your carrier probably has cheaper data package than what is on the ship. I found it to be fast enough to easily send messages on Skype, but voice calls were pretty bad...not useless, but bad. I sent messages home and asked if there was anything I needed to call about. Then with free wifi in port were the days I always called to check in with grandma and the kids.

Face time and Skype worked "OK" on Freedom's WiFi. At times there was high latency (2-3 second delays). Used text messaging mostly (.50/send SMS, .05/receive SMS Verizon) and it worked to also to text someone else on the ship.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app