Last minute - is it worth it?

Izzybee

Every time I have cruised, we book late, i think that it's a better deal than to book Uberly Early.:D I think that if you compare prices, it's cheaper to book late than early. There are almost no extra expenses besides shopping and the steakhouse, so you don't really need to worry about that. Right now, to show how late a booker i am, i am currently planning on going on a carnival cruise later this month! (like the 23rd ish!) Also, you can book the day before the ship sets sail, but be sure to not get too late.

Be sure to check air fares before booking. Check out rates at several discount cruise agencies online .Get some cruise/cruise port books out of library so you can have a quality cruise experience. Average cruiser stays within 6 blocks of port, does not see much. Cruise lines biggest money makers are ships cruise excursions, alcohol and its most pricey cabins Avoid ripoff art sales.. An Inside cabin is best buy at sea. Avoid those in bow and cabins with public ares above (noisy),Look at deck plans before cabin selection.

The OP is in Maryland as is Baltimore...I don't think airfare is really going to be an issue as MD is really not that big. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, after wrecking my car and then breaking my arm and needing surgery, all in the last 10 days, we've had to revise out vacation plans for this summer (we usually visit my parents in the UK). We are considering a cruise since I graduate from my masters program July 30th and I want to do something! I also really like the idea of having someone look after me for a week or so!

BTW, "we" is me, my husband and our 12 year old daughter.

My question is this. I'm looking at Carnival cruise August 17th out of Baltimore. How long do we have to decide and book? Also, since we are first time cruisers - and I've never done a package vacation in my life, are we going to find it expensive on board? I'm scared we will get on board and be on our cabin all the time to save money! Reading here has reassured me a little!

Oh, and is there any point going through a travel agent? - I've always found it best to do my own footwork online for flights to stay with relatives, but with a cruise I'm wondering if I'm missing out by doing that.

Please excuse any typos - typing with just your non dominant hand is no fun and quite slow going!

Do it on line or if you have a good TA use them. Formal night, bring something nice, for all of you.

Thanks everyone!

As a result of the awesome advice here, I went ahead and booked our very first cruise - headed out in August ( I just joined our roll call!)

Also turns out that the price of a cabin with balcony was only $80 or so more than an inside cabin, so we splurged :)

I'm so excited! I can't stop grinning :D

Thanks everyone!

As a result of the awesome advice here, I went ahead and booked our very first cruise - headed out in August ( I just joined our roll call!)

Also turns out that the price of a cabin with balcony was only $80 or so more than an inside cabin, so we splurged :)

I'm so excited! I can't stop grinning :D

According to the deck plans for your ship, you have gained 40 square feet of space by going for a balcony cabin. You will find that and the fact you will have natural light and a view is worth far more than $80. Keep grinning and bon voyage!!