Staying in France on the cheap!

Hlitner

Thought we would share a little of our day to encourage fellow cruisers to spend some land time in France and/or Europe before or after a cruise. It can actually be done quite reasonably if one uses some common sense and takes advantage of some tricks. We are currently in Avignon where we have a beautiful 3rd floor apartment (no elevator) with our own huge private 4th floor outdoor terrace that gives us rooftop views with the Palace of the Popes in the background. Total cost is about 710 Euros a week! Today DW and I spent a total of about 50 Euros (total cost for 2) on 3 meals. For breakfast I walked to the corner Boulangerie and bought a couple of fresh wonderful croissants for less then 2 Euros (total). We had that with our own coffee and some juice. For lunch we drove over to lovely Les Baux where we both had terrific galettes (crepes). Mine had a mixture of Roquefort crème fraiche with some ham. We also had a liter of Perrier (wanted to limit alcohol because I was driving). Total cost of lunch was about 20 Euros. For dinner we went on the cheap and stopped at a nice outdoor brasserie where we both had moules et frites and a pichet (50 cl) of white wine and I finished with some coffee. Total cost of dinner was 27 Euros.

There are other days where we eat at better restaurants but generally stick to the so-called formulas (daily combined menus). In this expensive city you can usually get a 3 course dinner for about 19-28 Euros (per person) and the food is quite good. Keep in mind that when we get a check for 60 Euros that does mean 60 Euros. There is no additional tax and no need to leave extra tip (although some will leave a few coins).

As to transportation, some of you know we love having a car. Our 3 week rental car (a pretty large Kia) costs us about $32 a day plus diesel fuel (we get over 35 MPG), Parking at Avignon is free if one takes the time to find a spot in the free lot located just outside the walls near our apartment.

The reason I am posting this here is to encourage some of our fellow cruisers to get a little adventurous and go a bit outside the box when planning your trips. No, we are not crazy kids but just typical seniors who love the adventure of travel and strongly dislike the group structure of large tours.

Before somebody complains that this post in not relevant to CC, we would mention that we got to France on a Princess repositioning cruise (Ruby Princess) where we disembarked a day early in Le Havre.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

For years british people have always had the wrong idea that France is expensive. My OH and self visit on a regular basis and find that it isn't. Avignon is a lovely city, although I think Arles has a nicer atmosphere.

As you have pointed out, it is not necessary to spend a fortune on expensive meals. Of course, you are not far from where some of the most renowned wines in the world are produced.

You must have rented a very nice apartment as I consider €710 for a week quite expensive, but enjoy.

What a fantastic idea to get off the repo. Cruise a day early...And wonderful suggestions!

We cannot take credit for the idea since many others have paved the way. In fact, on our Ruby Princess cruise there were dozens of folks who debarked a day early in LeHavre rather then end up in Southampton. Princess, like other cruise lines, does require prior notice but it is generally not a problem in the various Schengen countries (i.e. France, Italy, Spain, etc). There are quite a few cruisers (including moi) that routinely use the TA Repositioning cruises as a means of transportation to Europe where we then stay for an extended period of time. The cruise cost is usually less then Business Class and a lot more relaxing. On a few occasions we have also managed to get home by using another cruise, but it is rare that we can find one heading back to the US in June/July. Of course the Queen Mary 2 is always an option but only works if you are conveniently near Southampton or Hamburg.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
You must have rented a very nice apartment as I consider €710 for a week quite expensive, but enjoy.

Me too ! But it should be a very nice one.... !

Very nice trip and you are lucky to be in this part of France.... The weather is perfect currently ! I was in Avignon two days ago! Are you going to Paris before leaving ?

You should post some pictures... :o

I would love to se the rooftop view !

Guess I should explain the Avignon apartment. IMHO it was a real good deal at the 710 price. Yes, we could have easily rented an apartment for a few hundred less Euros. But the place we rented was quite special in both location and amenities. Not only was it a large apartment with new modern appliances including things like dishwasher, washer, wine fridge, etc. but it had a huge rooftop private terrace with an amazing view over the city. A well known nearby hotel gets nearly 3 times the price for a relatively small room without the private rooftop. When we again return to Avignon we would rent the same apartment. I should also mention that the particular apartment is nearly fully rented through July (I think he has 1 week open) while many other less expensive apartments are available. Sometimes one does not mind paying for location and quality.

Hank

• 1 month later...
Guess I should explain the Avignon apartment. IMHO it was a real good deal at the 710 price. Yes, we could have easily rented an apartment for a few hundred less Euros. But the place we rented was quite special in both location and amenities. Not only was it a large apartment with new modern appliances including things like dishwasher, washer, wine fridge, etc. but it had a huge rooftop private terrace with an amazing view over the city. A well known nearby hotel gets nearly 3 times the price for a relatively small room without the private rooftop. When we again return to Avignon we would rent the same apartment. I should also mention that the particular apartment is nearly fully rented through July (I think he has 1 week open) while many other less expensive apartments are available. Sometimes one does not mind paying for location and quality.

Hank

I'm going to be staying in Avignon during September post cruise for 3 or 4 nights, then on to Paris. How did you find your apartment? Currently I am reviewing airbnb. Travelling solo, so will be using public transportation for day trips. Any other advice would be appreciated! Thank you for your help!

I'm going to be staying in Avignon during September post cruise for 3 or 4 nights, then on to Paris. How did you find your apartment? Currently I am reviewing airbnb. Travelling solo, so will be using public transportation for day trips. Any other advice would be appreciated! Thank you for your help!

We found our apartment online, although it helped that we are very familiar with Avignon and the region and knew exactly what we wanted. Most of the decent apartments are for 1 week (or longer) rentals. I am not a big proponent of public transit in this part of France because it really limits what you can do and see. Once you get out of the big cities, Provence is just a large rural area where one needs a car or a private tour. Just getting to a place like Les Baux (from Avignon) is not easily accomplished by public transit (I am not sure it's even possible). Want to hop over to Pont du Gard for a couple of hours? Not gonna happen on public transit. So this means you either need to rent a small car (only takes a solo to drive a car) or book some tours. There are even some interesting Roman ruins right outside St Remy...but you are not going to easily get there with public transit.

Hank

We found our apartment online, although it helped that we are very familiar with Avignon and the region and knew exactly what we wanted. Most of the decent apartments are for 1 week (or longer) rentals. I am not a big proponent of public transit in this part of France because it really limits what you can do and see. Once you get out of the big cities, Provence is just a large rural area where one needs a car or a private tour. Just getting to a place like Les Baux (from Avignon) is not easily accomplished by public transit (I am not sure it's even possible). Want to hop over to Pont du Gard for a couple of hours? Not gonna happen on public transit. So this means you either need to rent a small car (only takes a solo to drive a car) or book some tours. There are even some interesting Roman ruins right outside St Remy...but you are not going to easily get there with public transit.

And then there is my favorite market in all of France that is held every Sunday morning in L'isle sur la Sorque. There is no way to get to this remote town on public transit and even finding a tour might be near impossible.

I think that folks traveling solo can sometimes put chains around themselves. 3 years ago we were on 42 day HAL cruise that started in Ft Lauderdale and ended in Amsterdam. On that cruise we met a fascinating 82 year young widow who was an absolute delight. She was traveling by herself, and that was fine with her. We made the mistake of asking what she was doing after the cruise...assuming she was flying back to the USA. Nope! She was taking the train (by herself) to Paris where she had rented an apartment for a month! She explained that she had friends in Paris, but no way was she going to get "tied down" by staying with friends. She preferred to be by herself so she could whatever she pleased. Even thought we are a huge proponent of DIY, we were floored by this lady and her grit! You just never know what folks can accomplish.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And then there is my favorite market in all of France that is held every Sunday morning in L'isle sur la Sorque. There is no way to get to this remote town on public transit and even finding a tour might be near impossible.

I think that folks traveling solo can sometimes put chains around themselves. 3 years ago we were on 42 day HAL cruise that started in Ft Lauderdale and ended in Amsterdam. On that cruise we met a fascinating 82 year young widow who was an absolute delight. She was traveling by herself, and that was fine with her. We made the mistake of asking what she was doing after the cruise...assuming she was flying back to the USA. Nope! She was taking the train (by herself) to Paris where she had rented an apartment for a month! She explained that she had friends in Paris, but no way was she going to get "tied down" by staying with friends. She preferred to be by herself so she could whatever she pleased. Even thought we are a huge proponent of DIY, we were floored by this lady and her grit! You just never know what folks can accomplish.

Hank

Thank you.

Hank,

Thanks for your post. We will be arriving in France a week from today.:). We have 9 days in Paris and 9 days travelling in France before making our way to Barcelona for a cruise.

We have rented a car to be picked up when we leave Paris and have train tickets booked from Montpelier to Barcelona, all accomplished with your help in previous posts.

Our accommodations were all booked with price and location in mind. We'll soon know if we have made good choices.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Deen