Imagine My Surprise

qsuzi

Honestly I was surprised that other lines like RCL are comparable or lower in price for similar itineraries. When I priced comparable size lowest price non-obstructed balcony cabins on the Miracle and on RCL Jewel OTS for June 2015 to Alaska, RCL was $150 less (same ports). Clearly the Jewel is a more beautiful ship but I also considered amenities and to be fair Diamond on each line. Amenities in summary (not an extensive list) were:

RCL: What sets it apart is the price included a $250 off on balconies, diamond lounge (continental breakfast in am and free snacks and alcohol for 3ish hours each evening), and value booklet with coupons in various amounts or offers such as free hour of internet, 1/2 off, etc. Priority seating at shows, free tours various venues.

Carnival: 2 category upgrade for Past Guest.

Carnival and RCL had many similar amenities, priority embarkation and debarkation, free welcome party/drink, welcome back gift, welcome back/loyalty food item, etc, limited complimentary wash and fold.

I recognize there are other factors such as food (subjective), service, vibe, etc. We sail either line equally and more so Carnival lately because it offers cruises to Mexico from California.

Edited by qsuzi

Correction it is the Carnival Legend not the Miracle. :eek:

Honestly I was surprised that other lines like RCL are comparable or lower in price for similar itineraries. When I priced comparable size lowest price non-obstructed balcony cabins on the Miracle (correction the Carnival Legend not the Miracle) and on RCL Jewel OTS for June 2015 to Alaska, RCL was $150 less (same ports). Clearly the Jewel is a more beautiful ship but I also considered amenities and to be fair Diamond on each line. Amenities in summary (not an extensive list) were:

RCL: What sets it apart is the price included a $250 off on balconies, diamond lounge (continental breakfast in am and free snacks and alcohol for 3ish hours each evening), and value booklet with coupons in various amounts or offers such as free hour of internet, 1/2 off, etc. Priority seating at shows, free tours various venues.

Carnival: 2 category upgrade for Past Guest.

Carnival and RCL had many similar amenities, priority embarkation and debarkation, free welcome party/drink, welcome back gift, welcome back/loyalty food item, etc, limited complimentary wash and fold.

I recognize there are other factors such as food (subjective), service, vibe, etc. We sail either line equally and more so Carnival lately because it offers cruises to Mexico from California.

I found the same thing...for a while.

In March, we booked two rooms for a total of 4 people (one balcony and one interior right across the hall) on RC NOS. Price was $3060. At that time the Magic was booking the comparable two rooms for $3600.

Then recently the Magic dropped down to $3180 and $80 OBC for a Balcony and Interior on the Cloud 9 Spa. Then another price drop down to $2840 one day before my final payment. Check RCL just for grins and the price went up to about $3300.

I would suggest if a person is undecided between two cruises, to book them both and see how the price drops come. Gives extra time to make your decision.

Sometimes it is possible to get a lower priced cabin, in the same category on Royal than Carnival. Two of my cruises on Royal (Explorer), one which was taken over Thanksgiving was several hundred lower than the Miracle both leaving out of the NY area. The other was going out of Florida, and the rates were not that much different, but I enjoyed the Explorer so much, I decided to go on Royal again. I have been back on Carnival ever since, but the decision has not been due to pricing only, but itineraries, dates, and flights.