Tipping and gratuity on 7d cruise

HappyPig

We debarked this AM and were wondering if people typically tip above the standard suggestion. I know it is a personal question, but I was worried we might of left too little. We gave our head server $100 in addition to the suggested amount, he was excellent. Any thoughts? No judging, I just wasn't sure...

We debarked this AM and were wondering if people typically tip above the standard suggestion. I know it is a personal question, but I was worried we might of left too little. We gave our head server $100 in addition to the suggested amount, he was excellent. Any thoughts? No judging, I just wasn't sure...

Wow....Do you mean your head server or do you mean server? Because the suggested tip for the head server is only $1 per guest per day...so $100 extra is a huge amount. This is the guy who walks around and asks if everything is OK. SOME of them do a fair amount of work, helping the serving teams when needed, dealing with allergy issues, etc. Some are jerks who seem to do nothing (and we've had many examples of both types.)

The SERVER is the person who takes your order each night and brings your food, entertains you kids, etc. His/her suggested tip is $4 per guest per night, so $28 per guest on a 7 night cruise.

In either event, $100 over the suggested amount is a lovely tip; I'm sure your serve was extremely thankful.

Back to your original question--if the person did a great job, we typically tip above the suggested amount. I don't think I've ever given $100 over though. ONE noted exception--if you are in a suite, the suggested tip to the cabin host is the same as for a standard cabin and he/she has a lot more work. I do feel that his/her tip should be at least double the suggested. Again, personal opinion.

Thanks, our "main server" who served our meals. The head server or tablemaster only got $10 because he really wasn't involved too much.

That guy's title is "server." I'm sure he was very appreciative of your generous tip. If you are a family of 4, you basically doubled his tip.:) Maybe I'm silly, but when I look at what I tipped for 4 days at WDW, the ship's tips are seriously small.

And yes, on our most recent cruise we were totally unimpressed with our head server (tablemaster in your words) and I cut his tip. This was only the second time in 30+ cruises that I've cut a tip, but this guy was a jerk.

Sincere thanks for your insights. I know this can be a contentious topic, but if you have ever worked in service, you understand how hard the crew in the cruise industry is generally working. Thank you!

We tipped above on our cruise for everyone since they were all excellent. Regardless of what other people do, I'm certain the crew appreciates all tips!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

On our first DCL cruise we doubled the suggested tips for the server and asst. and steward and tipped in Palo on top of what 's included in the service charge.

We didn't tip extra on the second DCL cruise as we only ate in the MDR once and thought the service was on the weak side. We tipped in Palo (want to think an extra $30 for three people plus a $20 to the sommelier) and in Remy (I think we left $50 for two people plus a $20 to the sommelier) plus the tips they get from the upcharge and alcohol gratuity.

I agree, we usually do tip above the suggested amount, because some of the suggested amounts are quite low, considering these ladies' & gentlemen's wages are next to nothing. However, with that being said, the head server from what we've seen doesn't have much interaction with a majority of the diners, so we've gone with just the suggested amount. In past cruises, we may have seen these guys once or twice during the whole cruise.

Anyways, we'd generally base your overage, if any, on personal experience. Now, I have heard in the past if you've had an outstanding experience with any crew member, to be sure to mention him/her in comment cards. We did that once on an RCI cruise with a couple of bartenders. They really hooked us up!!

But as for your OP, I think your server was extremely appreciative, and by your tip realized he did an excellent job, and will continue to do so!!

All tipping discussions end up being personal opinion.

Mine is that if I tip the "suggested" amount, I've given the CM the payment they expect. Anything extra (and I normally add extra) is recognition of their excellent service.