Which Waterproof Camera do you recommend.....??

I too am just looking for this camera basically for U/W shots... I have a Canon SX50 that I use as my regular camera and certainly not looking to replace a 50X optical zoom capability with a point/shoot. :) Will have to check out this to see if it has the specs I am looking for...

Steve

Please let me know what you think. I have the SX40 so clearly we have the same taste in cameras LOL. I did see some really good reviews on Amazon for the Olympus TG 630 though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Edited by OnePsychLynne

Hey Lynne, will definitely post what I finally decided to buy. I looked at the SX40 and SX500 before buying the SX50. For the extra cost, the items I wanted (bigger zoom and high ISO) were worth it.

One thing I am looking for is the lag time between pressing the shutter button and the camera actually taking the picture. I once had a camera (not Canon) that took about .75 seconds to do it. Not good when you are trying to take a picture of something that moves. :)

As an aside, I see you are from Central Florida... graduated from Lyman many "moons" ago. :).

Steve

After reading several reviews, I picked up an Olympus TG-830 today from eBay. This waterproof camera (up to 30 feet) was described as three months old (the listing included a copy of the receipt). With shipping, the cost was about $150. The selling price for a new TG-830 runs between $200 and $210.

The plan is to use this camera when we're on a zodiac inflatable between the expedition ship and ice flows in the Antarctic. I didn't want to have my Canon DSLR out in the ocean spray and sloppy landings.

We have some time before this trip to test the TG-830.

Bob

After doing LOTS of research for U/W cameras in the $200 price range, I have the following dilemma. Of the three cameras in the finals:

1. Olympus TG-830 ihs - issue is a f3.9-f5.9 aperture.

2. Pentax WG-3 - most expensive of the three; f2.0 low aperture

3. GoPro Hero 3 white - no zoom, f2.8 aperture, VERY wide angle lens

Other issue: The GoPro has an external waterproof housing that is VERY solid. The Olympus and Pentax are waterproof cameras. There has been some comments about leakage around the seals. So, am leaning towards the GoPro because of the housing; but the Pentax because of the other capabilities as a camera.

As an aside, I have been using a Canon A560 with a DicaPac. Good solution but the camera is not in tight and the lens every now and then moves, getting the lens cap in the way. Plus, where I put my fingers to hold and shoot, I have hit the function/menu buttons.. :(

Please provide your comments... all are appreciated...

Steve

Edited by snc_cam

Today after much research, I took the plunge! Bought the Olympus TG-630 ihs. I bought it direct from the Olympus website - RECONDITIONED - for $ 100. You can't beat that! They also had the 830's for $160 (again, reconditioned, of course.) As deeply as these cameras are discounted, I think this was definitely a great option!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

On my last E.Carribean cruise I had a Pentax W10 underwater point and shoot that took great still & video, and a Veho Muvi 1080p action cam.

Both worked at 60+' and filtered out a lot of the blue.

I use a Fuji FinePix Z33 WP. It's tiny, good for snorkeling, and actually takes great land pics too. I tethered the camera to a wristband so I can't lose or drop it while snorkeling.

I've also has the Fuji for a few years and have been very happy with it.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

2. Pentax WG-3 - most expensive of the three; f2.0 low aperture

3. GoPro Hero 3 white - no zoom, f2.8 aperture, VERY wide angle lens

Other issue: The GoPro has an external waterproof housing that is VERY solid. The Olympus and Pentax are waterproof cameras. There has been some comments about leakage around the seals. So, am leaning towards the GoPro because of the housing; but the Pentax because of the other capabilities as a camera.

We have a Pentax WG-3, and yesterday I would have told you it was wonderful. We have taken it on two scuba dives to 30- 35 feet (max depth is 45 ft) and it performed very well. It also does really well in pool shots, for snorkeling, and when DH is kayaking.

But today we turned it on to check it for an upcoming trip- and it will no longer take pictures, it just makes the "focusing" sound over and over. The screen to view pictures is fine.

We haven't dropped it (which is is supposedly rated for anyway), it hasn't leaked and flooded- we have no idea what happened. But 13 months and a few days after paying a lot of money for a camera, it is dead. Lovely, since warranty is 12 months.

We are now looking for a replacement. I'm pretty unhappy today.

Edited by skittl1321

I too have an Olympus tg 2. Very versatile both under water and for general picture taking. It went to the rain forest of Borneo and performed well. Lots of bells and whistles. A new tg3 is coming this month

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Don,

Thanks for the review link. Very interesting comments for usefulness.

Steve

In general, while CC is a great site for cruise information, it is not as good for optics information since none of us who do cruises can really evaluate optics since we do not have the expertise, equipment, patience or the access to equipment alternatives to tell which piece of optical equipment is best.

If you are thinking about a camera, go to a good camera site. If you are thinking about binoculars, there are lots of good binocular sites. If you need cruise information, stick with CC.

DON

After sending in my Fuji XP100 under warranty for water damage (I like to snorkel, and it leaked, just like several previous "waterproof" cameras), it was not fixable so they sent me a refund. After a long search and looking at a lot of cameras (incljuding Canon D20, Nikon AW100, several Pentax's, and several others, I found a Olympus TG830 on closeout at Wal-Mart. Wow, a great camera! Lots of features, lots of scene settings especially underwater, great pictures, and closeout for $164. I naturally bought the extended 3 yr warranty for another $14.

The thing that impressed me most is their door seals. It is the only one I have seen that has a dual seal strip, i.e. 2 ridges that contact the surrouding frame, one flat and one at an angle. I am an engineer, and I can vouch for this being a very advanced design. Can't wait to get it into some saltwater, but that won't happen until next January (we live in Nebraska, and go snorkeling on January winter vacations)

According to the specs for the Pentax and Olympus TG-2 and 3, they also have a 2-tier locking system. Only thing with the TG830 is that it has a higher focal length than the WG-3 or TG-2/3.

I didn't say 2 tier, I said 2 seal. Their 2 tier means you need 2 motions to unlock the door. Two seals means that there are 2 seal ridges on the rubber seal, one against a flat surface and a second against an angled suirface. Far superior to Pentax, Olympus may also have it on their other cameras, but I haven't seen the TG-2 or 3.

Being a full-fledged professional photographer since way back in the Minolta days, whose entire line-up has made the transition over to Sony, my waterproof choice surprised me... but it was a good deal, so I gave it a shot.

I must say, that for a pocket-size travel camera that happens to be waterproof, I LOVE my Panasonic Lumix DMC TS20. It's been snorkeling in Nassau, and did a beautiful job. It has also become my everyday, always have a camera with you just in case, play toy.

There isn't anything I can say negative about it... it definately changed my thoughts about a 'small' camera.