Seattle tourist timing info & ?'s

5280mom

We are arriving at 10:30 AM Sat. 6/28 for departure 6/29 on NCL Pearl. Our plane lands at 10:30 AM. Hotel is at Pike Street at Convention Center (Homewood Suites). Since we are only there one day, we are trying to hit a few landmarks on Saturday. Specifically, Space Needle and a Duck Tour both on Saturday, hopefully hitting the Market early Sunday morning before heading to the pier. I am purchasing tickets for the Space Needle and Duck Tour before we leave. Can anyone help with timing on these? Specifically, how much time to allow for each tour? They are right across the street from each other… thought we would do the Space Needle first… Our group is myself, DH and two kids, 14 & 10 years old. Planning on STILA transport to our hotel. We are also not planning on renting a car.

We are arriving at 10:30 AM Sat. 6/28 for departure 6/29 on NCL Pearl. Our plane lands at 10:30 AM. Hotel is at Pike Street at Convention Center (Homewood Suites). Since we are only there one day, we are trying to hit a few landmarks on Saturday. Specifically, Space Needle and a Duck Tour both on Saturday, hopefully hitting the Market early Sunday morning before heading to the pier. I am purchasing tickets for the Space Needle and Duck Tour before we leave. Can anyone help with timing on these? Specifically, how much time to allow for each tour? They are right across the street from each other… thought we would do the Space Needle first… Our group is myself, DH and two kids, 14 & 10 years old. Planning on STILA transport to our hotel. We are also not planning on renting a car.

The Duck tour is 90 minutes long - I'd allow two hours in case of heavy traffic and then time to get to Space Needle. If you buy a ticket with a specific 'launch time' you can show up 30 minutes early, but only 5 minutes late, and still get into the short queue - but worst case you can always join the general boarding queue any time that day. Since the Duck is a specific time but the needle could be very variable, I'd do Duck first and book your Observation Deck time for 2.5 hours after your Duck tour starts.

As to how long to expect to spend inside the needle, like any 'tall building' experience the timing is very dependent on your group - does everyone like taking lots of photos? Is anyone iffy about heights? Do you browse gift shops for just the right souvenir of an experience or refuse to buy 'tourist tat'?

Just these two things in one day is a nice open schedule, so (assuming eating dinner in the neighbourhood works for you) consider getting a Day/Night needle ticket and coming back later in the evening too. There are tons of tasty food options in lower Queen Anne to suit a range of budgets.

Arriving at 10:30 what I'd do is drop your bags at the hotel, then walk down to the monorail (5 blocks or so from the hotel) and head to Seattle Center. Have lunch at the Space Needle - $25 min. per person but it includes the elevator ($22 standalone) so excellent value. Then do the Ducks afterward.

Sunday have breakfast at the market as early as possible, buy some flowers for the boat if you want, but try to be gone by 10 or 10:30, after which the crowds become dreadful.

Have lunch at the Space Needle - $25 min. per person but it includes the elevator ($22 standalone) so excellent value.

Before you go you should check out the menu online. We wanted to eat there but even a burger is $27! It may still be worth it if you consider the price of the admission to the observation deck. We also had one member of our party who was afraid of heights so we decided to eat somewhere else.