Venice Airport to Pier - land taxi?

Hi:

I was wondering if it is possible to hail a taxi at Marco Polo airport and take it directly to the Marritima port area. I'm kind of confused by where cars are/aren't allowed to travel. Does anyone also know the approximate cost if it is feasible?

Thanks!

We have done this twice & will again in October. Taxi's are right in line outside the door & not a great distance from baggage claim like some airports. They will take you to the baggage drop area at Maritima, then just a short walk for you (50 yds to terminal, that is up a set of stairs but there is a lift). Fares for 4 people last time for us were 42euros, so quite cheap if you can find someone to share with. At busy times there may be a small queue but we usually arrive from UK early so no queue.

Just an opinion but most European taxis are not very large and if you pack anything like my wife and I my guess would be you would need two taxis or a minibus taxi which do exist in Italy but are not as common.

Have a great next cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Fares for 4 people last time for us were 42euros, so quite cheap if you can find someone to share with. At busy times there may be a small queue but we usually arrive from UK early so no queue.

Excuse my obvious ignorance, but I am in need of the same information as the OP... was the 42 Euro per person or per cab? :confused: (I have gotten a rate of $59 USD per person for 1-way transfers via HAL... if the above figure is per cab, that would be a better choice for us!)

There wil be three of us with quite a BIT of luggage that need to get from the Venice airport to Locando Orseolo next May, in the early afternoon.

I'm still a bit confused about our options?

We're going to have to economize where we can, so, I'm not sure about the private water taxi option.... We could probably walk a little way with our luggage from St. Mark's to the hotel.

Nina

Excuse my obvious ignorance, but I am in need of the same information as the OP... was the 42 Euro per person or per cab? :confused: (I have gotten a rate of $59 USD per person for 1-way transfers via HAL... if the above figure is per cab, that would be a better choice for us!)

The 42€ is the cab fare for anyone in it..not PP.the ship's charge PP for their transfers.Taxi is much better choice

There wil be three of us with quite a BIT of luggage that need to get from the Venice airport to Locando Orseolo next May, in the early afternoon.

I'm still a bit confused about our options?

We're going to have to economize where we can, so, I'm not sure about the private water taxi option.... We could probably walk a little way with our luggage from St. Mark's to the hotel.

Nina

You can take the water bus to San Marco,but there is not a lot of room for luggage and schelpping luggage through Venice is not really the way to go.The water taxi would be your best bet and would run you about 85€ for all of you not PP.However,that being said email the hotel and they will give you the best way to get there as I know other's have done it and they have been very helpful.Also, someone else may have a better suggestion for you,but the BIT of luggage is what may hinder you re walking.Sometimes it is best to spend a tad more and look at other places to economize...:rolleyes: Good luck.

We used Venice Limousine for our transfer from Marco Polo airport, direct to the pier in July. For 6 of us (with luggage) in a luxury Mini-Van Mercedes model Viano-Class Series it cost 78,00 Euro. For 4 of you I would assume the cost would be less. The service was excellent. My in-laws also used them for a transfer from Treviso airport and they too were very pleased. Here's an article specifically about cruise transfers.

Only just picked up this thread again. Our 42 euros was for what we call over here a "people carrier" type taxi with plenty of room for 4/5 & luggage. Suppose in USA you would call it a small van type, we had one of those in San Francisco last april.

Does the Alilaguna water taxi give you a hard time about bringing your luggage along from the airport to St. Mark's? The three of us might be up for doing the walk with our luggage to the Locando O. from St. Mark's to save 55 EU....

Otherwise, how much of a hassle is it to find other passenegers at the airport who might want to share a private water taxi's cost directly to the hotel? Will the private taxis agree to stop at two different hotels, if necessary? (Yes, I, know, everything can be done for a price!) The private water taxis generally charge by the trip and not per passenger?

Nina

The Alilaguna water bus has plenty of room for luggage. You can bring whatever you have and can carry. You will have to be able to get it from where the bus leaves you off after the short trip from the airport to the dock. After the waterbus docks and the passengers get off you will need to load your luggage onto the waterbus. At least when we were there the personnel running the waterbus do not help you. They may move your luggage over to allow others to board and put their luggage onboard but they don't help you load or later to unload your luggage. Then when you get to Venice you will have to face the fact that most bridges have steps, NOT ramps. So even with good rolling luggage you will be picking up and carrying your luggage up the steps on one side and then down the other side. I saw people dragging them up the steps and having the wheels come off so I wouldn't recommend doing that. Also the sidewalks are not very smooth so even there rolling luggage can be hassle.

We did not use one but from this board and other sources I have learned that water taxis charge per trip not per person. But a trip is considered from one location to another so if you wanted to go to multiple hotels you would have to pay the driver something extra.

As far as arranging with other people at the airport to share a water taxi it might be possible but remember that many of the people coming into the airport will not be other Americans and may or may not speak enough English to understand what you are requesting. They will probably speak more English than you will Italian, German or French but still communication may be a problem.

From what I could tell many of the Italians didn't understand what the big deal was about the cost of the water taxi trip. Unfortunately European traffic is currently extremely expensive right now and whether it will ever get better who knows.

Good luck in finding the least expensive and yet doable solution to your situation.

I ended up using http://www.limousineandriver.com; the prices are listed on their website and they were excellent! The driver spoke excellent English and was waiting front and center for us when we got out of the airport (unfortunately I forgot his name). There were 4 of us and he had brought their largest van and it was very new and clean. We got to the pier in no time at all.

I agree with kare8ear, we used the same company. Although we were delayed nearly an hour (BA), he was still waiting for us with a nice smile. The company were great to deal with, answering any email questions quickly and I would highly reccomend them. It cost us 45 euros dor the large van.

Andy

Archived