Falmouth Jamaica and Safety

Catperson

We just did a 2 hour walking tour of Falmouth last week. No safety issues at all other than cars speeding so use sidewalks whenever possible. There is plenty to see if you know where to go.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Jamaica has a reputation that is not undeserved. I have been there four times, twice to Montego bay and twice to Negril. My second Montego bay visit was on a cruise and we did not get off the ship.

Otherwise, there are exceptions to everything, and Falmouth should be one.

Jamaica spent, oh, I forget, $100 million+ to dredge and create this cruise port, with the understanding that passengers visiting might actually spend some money in the town. Instead most either stay in the compound or leave the town on tours to other spots. There are articles on this, and many in Falmouth are not happy with the lack of money they are getting out of this RCI "deal".

Now, obviously, the town needs to clean up its image, and it appears they are doing that. If you can depart the compound and walk into town without being hassled, guess what happens? Cruise pax will spend $$$$ there! :cool:

Now, obviously, the town needs to clean up its image, and it appears they are doing that. If you can depart the compound and walk into town without being hassled, guess what happens? Cruise pax will spend $$$$ there! :cool:

Agreed. We would have spent more time and surely money if we were not bombarded by the locals. How do you get that message to them though? Maybe through their Mayor or whoever is a local leader?

We were on Oasis and it was at capacity. The compound was not busy and very, very few walked outside. So most passengers stayed onboard or took excursions away from the town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums