Allure vs Getaway: September 2014 Sailing

alanme123

Hi Everybody,

I would like to start off by saying that I have also posted the same question on the RCCL Board. I just want some insights on the differences between these two ships. The sailing will be on September 13 or 14 of 2014. This is pretty last minute because I cannot afford to make plans so early in advance. I will be travelling with my SO and budget is a concern. However, I want to make sure that I make this trip worthwhile and unforgettable for her.

The pricing I got from NCL is around $1650 with tax, port fees included while the Allure is around $1950. I have been on the Oasis in 2011 with family and thought it was a very great ship. I really want to go on the Allure because its my SO's second time on a cruise ship (first time older, smaller Princess) and there may not be a chance to go on one later (visa implications). So if I travel on the Allure, I cannot expect to travel on the Getaway, vice versa.

My question is that what really benefits NCL over Allure? I am not looking so much into the ports as they will be similar and the rooms won't matter much to us because we are looking for the cheapest option which will be interior staterooms. My plan right now is that I wait until the "last minute" deals comes on because I want to save as much as possible.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice! I really appreciate it!

I've done the Oasis and the Getaway just a few weeks ago. I loved both ships. My wife and I are leaning towards going back to NCL before we go back to Royal again, because we loved our Getaway experience. Overall, we just thought the ship, food, and entertainment were top notch. Service, however, I thought was better on the Oasis.

That being said, if your SO only has one potential sailing/ship to go on, I would probably choose the Allure simply for the WOW factor. The size, the different areas, the aquatheatre, etc. Those can't be found on any other ships!

Hi Everybody,

I would like to start off by saying that I have also posted the same question on the RCCL Board. I just want some insights on the differences between these two ships. The sailing will be on September 13 or 14 of 2014. This is pretty last minute because I cannot afford to make plans so early in advance. I will be travelling with my SO and budget is a concern. However, I want to make sure that I make this trip worthwhile and unforgettable for her.

The pricing I got from NCL is around $1650 with tax, port fees included while the Allure is around $1950. I have been on the Oasis in 2011 with family and thought it was a very great ship. I really want to go on the Allure because its my SO's second time on a cruise ship (first time older, smaller Princess) and there may not be a chance to go on one later (visa implications). So if I travel on the Allure, I cannot expect to travel on the Getaway, vice versa.

My question is that what really benefits NCL over Allure? I am not looking so much into the ports as they will be similar and the rooms won't matter much to us because we are looking for the cheapest option which will be interior staterooms. My plan right now is that I wait until the "last minute" deals comes on because I want to save as much as possible.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice! I really appreciate it!

The Allure is the sister ship to the Oasis. Only difference is that there is a hotdog stand on the Allure. Since you are doing an inside I would go for the Allure. I haven't sailed Getaway yet but here are the reasons I would go for the Allure, especially considering visa implications:

1. Allure has merry-go round and board walk: for romantic rides at sea.

2. Allure has Central Park. Have a wine while you sit on the park.

3. Allure has better adult space in the solarium: relax in hot tubs that are open 24 hours.

4. Allure as Promenade with several choices for bars and dance venues to dance and drink your night away.

The only thing I think the Getaway might have is more active things with the water slides and ropes course, more outdoors space with the water front and the deck parties (Allure doesn't do night time deck parties).

I've done both ships and both lines on various ships.

If I sail in a suite, then Getaway wins hands down. NCL/Getaway is an awesome suite experience and all the negatives about crowds, not enough pool space, less appealing food etc do not apply because the Haven/Suite experience on NCL is amazing and different from the rest of the Getaway. In the Haven, you have your own restaurant, bar, pool, hot tubs, decks, everything. We rarely left the Haven.

If I sail in a regular cabin, then Oasis/Allure is the easy winner. The Getaway, outside the Haven, does not have the WOW factor of Allure, the food is not as good and it's cramped and crowded. It's not a bad experience, but it pales in comparison to Allure.

If you can only one ship, and it's only two people going, see if you can get a Haven suite with OBC, discounts, and the beverage and dining package. You'll enjoy the Haven experience.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would love to stay in the Haven Suite but I don't have the budget for it. I am trying to find a reputable travel agent but I only know of two which is "E___a" and "T______y" (I'm not sure if I can post the names sorry). It seems like if I get a regular cabin, especially an inside I should be going for the Allure.

Thanks for the help guys!! Any other advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your suggestions! Do you mind going a little more in depth on how the ship, food, and entertainment was better on NCL than your time on Royal?

Sure, for my wife and I personally, we just thought the production level of the main shows on the Getaway (Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde) was better than that on the Oasis...again, not the Allure. The rest of the entertainment, however, I would imagine, is top-notch on the Allure.

The food, however, for us, was no question. The Getaway blew the Oasis out of the water...but this was predominantly in the specialty restaurants, Garden Cafe, and Flamingo Grille. The two times we ate at the main dining room, the food was good, but not amazing. I would imagine the Allure is similar enough to the Oasis in this regard.

The ship itself was just great...new, good layout, enough to do and enough room and space, but not too large or too small. The waterfront was awesome and the vibe beach club (if you're into that) was amazing. The pool deck area, ropes course, slides, etc, were all amazing as well. The Allure to me pales in comparison there, but that is all dependent on what you're looking for.

Overall, again, for a one-time-only type of thing, I would probably choose the Allure, but if you end up on the Getaway, I still think you'll have an amazing time!

Having the different neighborhoods like Central Park and boardwalk, Allure wins. No other cruise line has the promenade like Allure. I love it. Just riding the Rising Tide bar is cool.