Noordam? Westerdam?

nanheath

I note that the Noordam is a pretty old ship. I was wondering what kind of recommendations it has. I am considering a Baltic cruise and there is a pretty good price difference between it and Westerdam; Westerdam does a 12 day trip while Noordam does a 10 day. Any thoughts?

Good Day!

I sailed the Noordam to the Baltic last July. I was a little skeptical myself but thoroughly enjoyed the ship and the itinerary. I think that she is a great ship for Europe. Given the good rates and the fact that she is leaving the fleet soon, I'd go for it!

Feel free to check out my travelogue and ship tour :

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/no/nodm_03.htm

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/eu03/eu2003a.htm

Have a Great Day!

Steve

www.shipcafe.net

Nanheath -

My wife and I recently sailed on the Noordam (Rome to London) and enjoyed the cruise although, to be perfectly honest, we chose that cruise because of the itinerary, not the ship. We realized that the Noordam is a 20-year-old ship and were prepared for the "classic" look of an older ship. This was our first HAL cruise, and true to reputation, the crew was very friendly and seemed eager to please.

However, if our problems with the plumbing is indicative of what one can expect on this older ship, I wouldn't sail her again. We were in mini-suite 120, and the vacuum system repeatedly malfunctioned up to and including the day we disembarked. Further, many passengers, my wife and daughter included, suffered from upper respiratory distress. The further into the cruise, the greater the numbers of PAX affected. Wherever we gathered, whether it be lounges, theater, or showroom, the sound of coughing and sniffles seemed to prevail - often to the point of distraction. At dinner one evening, the ship's doctor offered that the primary cause was probably due to the age of the ship and that mold and mildew spores are probably embedded in the carpets, drapery and furniture.

There have been rumors that HAL has understaffed some of its ships and, judging by the efficiency with which tables were cleared and wiped down in the Lido Restaurant during breakfast and lunch, I'd have to conclude that the rumors are true. Even when dishes and trays were removed expediciously, tables remained messy and were slow to be wiped clean. We frequently found it easier to grab a napkin and wipe the table down ourselves - especially at Lido poolside. This was disconcerting in that it was not up to the standards we had anticipated based upon HAL's reputation.

Based upon our overall experience, Marcia is of the mind that she would not sail on HAL again. Me? I think I'd like to give HAL another try, but on a newer ship. However, both Marcia and I agree that another voyage on the Noordam is not in our future.

Dave of ...

Dave & Marcia

R.E.D.I.S.

(Retired, Every Day Is Saturday)

The Westerdam is a beautiful, comfortable new ship.

We were on the second cruise - a RT from Venice to the Greek Isles, Croatia, Turkey and Malta in early May. It was great!

Prices on the Noordam are going to be lower because it is an older ship in its final year of service for HAL - and 10 days naturally costs less than 12 days.

If you like the Westerdam itinerary I think you will love your cruise experience.

We were on the Noordam last September and sailed from Copenhagen to Rome. At that time the Noordam was in tip top condition and the crew were excellent.

We liked the size of the ship and the amount of passengers it carried which were around 1100. It was a very port intensive itinerary so we didn't feel we missed out on not having a verandah which the Noordam does not have.

We were in a Mini-Suite and loved the size of it and the benefits that it brought. One day we had trouble with the plumbing, but heavens, that was nothing as things can go wrong when one stays at a 5 star hotel. It was corrected within a few hours and after that it was fine.

The food was good and we thoroughly enjoyed our 14 days. You have to decide which intinerary you like the best and also compare the prices. The Westerdam will keep of course as it is brand new, whereas you will be part of history sailing on one of the last cruises on the beloved Noordam.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

We just got off the Noordam June 12, 2004. Perfect vacation. We had a minisuite (No. 52) that was great. This was our fifth cruise on the Noordam; our sixth will be November 3rd, on its last voyage under the HAL banner. I highly recommend it; we also sailed the Noordam on the Baltic cruise two years ago: loved it.

I saw no evidence of crew cut-back, etc.

• 4 months later...

i just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Noordam and have nothing but good to say about it. the ship, the crew, the food, everything was wonderful! you're always going to find people that will complain about everything, but i found absolutely nothing to complain about on this ship. the crew was the best part of the cruise, always pleasant and efficient. these are the hardest working guys you will ever find!

Archived