Looking for Alaskan Cruise info

Looking at booking a Late August or early September cruise on the Serenade to Alaska next year and have a few questions. The prices are pretty reasonable at that time compared to the summer, will we disappointed because of the weather? Also I see there are a lot of different option when it comes to ports of embarkation. Anyone have a favorite or one to avoid. If we take the Vancouver round-trip, how do you handle getting to Vancouver. I have priced airfare and it is very high, plus you have to make many stops before getting there. (I live near Buffalo NY and was thinking of going out of Toronto since it is a little cheaper and direct flights) Basically whatever anybody has experienced good or bad about an Alaskan cruise and porst I would appreciate. If you have links to reviews and pictures that would also be a plus. Thanks in advance

Alaska 2006

Mariner of the Seas 10/05

Mariner of the Seas 9/04

We have been on the Serenade twice in Alaska. Both the ship and Alaska are beautiful. I can't say much about your air. Once we flew into Seattle (from Indianapolis) and took the RC bus roundtrip and this year we flew directly into Vancouver. The second option was much higher, but would do it again any day. We booked our own air both times.

If you have never been to Alaska, which we hadn't, this is a great start. We had been in the Caribbean three times, Ensenada to Hawaii once, and Alaska twice. All of the trips have been different except the Alaska ones....what does that tell you? :) FYI...4 of these (with another one coming up at Christmas) have been on the Serenade. In my opinion, you can not go wrong.

There is a lot of talk on here about Alaska, so I am sure you will hear plenty.

BTW...I do recommend an aft balcony for the trip...just my opinion.

Next summer the Vision OTS is sailing RT out of Seattle. It is a seven day cruise. Much cheaper air fare to Seattle then it is to Vancouver. Another option is to fly into Seattle and take the train up to Vancouver.

We are booked on the Vision OTS for the August 18, 2006 cruise. This cruise is also a Crown and Anchor Member cruise.

Mike

We went to Alaska for a 7 day cruise the first week in September last year...and the weather was great! Only rained in Juneau...not sure if this is the norm but that's what we experienced. We left and returned to Seattle...I understand you can take a train from there to Vancouver..which is supposed to be a beautiful trip..I know you will love it! LuAnn

Fly to Vancouver. It may cost you a few extra bucks, but the cruise direct system inplace there rocks (to quote my 14-year-old). We didn't see our bags from Tucson to the cabin and we were whisked thru a special customs line and boarded a bus on the aiport tarmac. Slick!

Purchase the luggage valet for your return trip and you won't see your bags from your hallway the last nite until you get to your home airport. What a relief! I'd pay double for the service. If you are a platinum or diamond member, they plack you out of line and check you in instantly. Very sweet.

Have a great trip! Try to do the floatplane flyfishing trip in Juneau.Worth every penny.

mrsraggy

Archived