Uniworld Cruise to Grand China and the Yantze River

winn43

Just came back from 19 days to China on River Cruise through Uniworld....Visited Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Hong Kong and other ports...Overall Awesome, Hotels all 5 stars (Shangri La, Waldorf, and Sofitel)...Food excellent in ports (locals)and on ship, Tour Guide TAO was the Best and made our journey seem seamless, Visited the Great Wall, Tianamen Square, Temple of Heaven, 3 Georges,Terrocat Warriors to name a few.....Anyone wanted more info email us here or irwinbrand@gmail and will give more info

Winn and Max

I will be writing a review shortly..BUT to answer your question the trip was fantastic...On Uniworld..as my statement says...Not sure if I would go again on so many flights..9 in total....Ft Lauderdale to San Fran, next day from SF to Beijing..11 Hr flight....Suggestion get the economy Plus you pay a little more but gives you more room..we got the bulkhead..same on the back end from Hong Kong to San Fran......Intra China flights there were 5...all between 1-2 hours each with LUNCH..which was good....better than the US flights....Thereason for so many flights was because you covered many cities....In terms of the Ship..Century Legend ..the 4 days was enough..The ship is new...but nothing really to do on board.PLUS we had problems with the AC...The Chinese like it warm and the foreigners like it cold,When in port for excursions they turned off the AC so when we got back on board it was warm and took time to get cold..Food was good and service was excellent

Hope that helps

Winn and Max

I am going with Uniworld to china in September although going to Tibet, no Hong Kong. We will be arriving in Beijing a day early and want to see some sites. Did you drive by the Birds Nest. The Summer Palace is not on the itinerary so I am assuming that you didn't go there. Any other "surprise sites" that you went to. Thanks in advance

We are looking at China for 2016. I have many questions for you.

1. From reading the online material, it is hard to determine if Uniworld is all inclusive with alcohol while on ship, as they are in Europe.

2. Uniworld seems to spend one less day on the River than Viking, and not go as far downstream. Do you have any idea on what is missed on that river segment?

3. Online, the trip with Lhasa says 3 days on the river, you said 4. Did it spend 3 days and 4 nights, or 4 of both? We are wanting the Tibet trip, with Guilin and Hong Kong at the end as an adder.

4. How many more days, upfront in Beijing do you believe would be necessary to see more of the sights that Uniworld missed?

Thanks!

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Alcohol on ship......You will get wine or beer at no charge....We had a private dinner room just for us (and another tour group).....in VIP lounge

2.In Beijing we didnt stay an extra day...really dont need to..We saw the major attractions within the 2 1/2 days...Tiananem Square, Forbidden city, foot massage (great) and Peking Duck dinner, Great Wall, Beautiful show at theater in eve,Temple of Heaven....

3.Every day was full..Met our group (with our Tour Manager..TAO,, around 8/8:30 AM every day...Got beck to hotel around 4PM...rested for a few hours and then went to dinner and show...Tiresome but great

4. The River cruise part was good but not all excursions were great..The Three Gorge was fantastic (like Panama canal going thru locks.....plus tour, also on a small river cruise...beautiful scenery

5. We didnt go to some of the areas you are going...Lsha and Tibet..Guilin is Great and so is HK....Especially seeing night lights

6.The Hotels were 5 stay....Shangra La in three of the cities, Sofitel in Beijing and Waldorf Astora

Overall we had a great time.....And with Uniworld....We also like to travel with Celebrity/Ocean Cruise..been a lot of places over the years and looking possibly to Viking to Paris and Prague in 2016..Would go on Uniworld again if they went there

We took at lot of pics...If you are interested in knowing more call us..we are in Florida...954-693-3671 and give you more insight

Winn and MAx

• 1 year later...

Would an 80 yr. old with some mobility issues be able to take this Uniworld China trip? My mother would love to go, but she can only walk about 100 feet before she gets winded. I very minor TIA (stroke) left her with some slight balance issues, but she walks unassisted. She is able to get on and off tour buses. If she could opt out of some tours or arrange private tours that were mostly in a vehicle, that would be perfect.

Thoughts, anyone?

I think she would be better off with a private tour. We used ChinaFocus with a 6 person group tour, but they also arrange private tours which are adjusted to a person's ability. We walked a lot and none of us had mobility or other health issues! 100 feet did not do it, not even on the Yangtze cruise. Steps, hills, uneven terrain ...