Wedding Favors To do or not to do?

Red84

I am wondering if anyone thinks its tacky to not do Wedding favors? I know when I go to a wedding if the favor isn't a food product(not those mints or candy covered almonds) I don't even bother bringing it home. I know my Fiancé and I are planning on ordering and sending out pictures from the wedding to include in our thank you notes. Do you think that would be enough? any and all opinions are appreciated.

I've heard differing opinions. We're doing favors because several of the guests (even the non-sailors) are traveling long distances to attend, so we want to give them something special to remember the day. The pics in the thank you are also special (we'll probably do this for Christmas gifts because this wedding is going to wipe us out for the year) so I don't think it would be tacky at all.

It's your wedding. Do what makes YOU happy :)

I am wondering if anyone thinks its tacky to not do Wedding favors? I know when I go to a wedding if the favor isn't a food product(not those mints or candy covered almonds) I don't even bother bringing it home. I know my Fiancé and I are planning on ordering and sending out pictures from the wedding to include in our thank you notes. Do you think that would be enough? any and all opinions are appreciated.

Because it is a destination wedding for us and most of our guests are not sailing but are coming in the night before and staying in hotels, we are doing a combination OOT bag/wedding favor....basically we made canvas bags 1 per family/couple and are putting a variety of things that one would find in OOT bags including a bottle of water, lip balm and sun block and a pack of Chips Ahoy (they will be waiting for an hour or so between checking in and actually embarking and the water and stuff may come in handy) and then will have a variety of sunglasses set out in a basket at the wedding. I figure everybody is spending quite a bit of money just to attend our wedding we need to at least say thank you. I know it can be done at a reasonable price (depending on how many people you have at the wedding)

We made small favor for our sailing guests of a lanyard made from Mardi Gras beads and stickers saying they are with the wedding party. We are flying in and getting much in the way of favors in our luggage with the things we need for the week is simply not doable in our estimation.

We are doing favors. But I have to say, it was against my wishes. Before starting the wedding planning, I always was talking to people about wedding favors, how often the kept and how much they like it. I found out the always become something that will be seating in the corner for while until they put in the garbage.

But we end up going with luggage tags. A lot of people come from out of state and out of the country as well. I think is very nice of them to travel a long distance, but we also travel for their weddings.

We did personalized Hershey's Bars. It was pretty inexpensive, small to pack and the guests could eat the candy-bar and save the wrapper (if they wanted)

The design I picked for the wrapper was the same design I created for our wedding cake topper (That never made it to the wedding LOL)

Do I think its tacky not to give something...yes and no. As others said, most people have to travel and or take vacation time to attend a destination wedding. Its nice to show them some appreciation. On the flip side, people understand that weddings cost a lot of money and giving you a trinket thats going to collect dust is not something they need or want.

We made small favor for our sailing guests of a lanyard made from Mardi Gras beads and stickers saying they are with the wedding party. We are flying in and getting much in the way of favors in our luggage with the things we need for the week is simply not doable in our estimation.

I LOVE the idea of stickers for the wedding party. Would a local print shop be able to make them? What a cute idea:)

OP-I debate back and forth about favors. My sister's favors where the cutest set of coasters that you could put pictures in....ours are in a box somewhere still in the original package with no pictures in them. I thought they would be such a cute addition to our home and we have sadly yet to use them. I am all about being practical and not wasting money. I want to give the guests something nice and something they will use, that also does not break the bank. Here are my thoughts

1.) Non sailing guests will receive a custom reusable shopping bag, not with our names or anything on it, perhaps an anchor on it. I am also having a dinner at the hotel the night before for all of the guests-something casual and catered...maybe even pizza. I have thought about buying anchor bottle openers and somehow tying them together with the shopping bag. Thoughts on the idea?

2.) Sailing guests will receive a shopping bag also, bottle opener and I think since so few are sailing I am going to give them a card with details and reserve a night in the steakhouse for us all to get together and eat. They are paying a ton to come on this cruise (its an 8 day) and it's the least we can do for them. Now...that being said...if my whole guest list was sailing, we could not afford this.

3.) Depending on the total number of sailing guests, I may fill their bag with cruise necessities, I am not there yet thought with planning stages:)

4.) We will be bringing onboard a sign of some sorts (chalkboard probably) with Thank You written on it and have the photographer take a picture of us holding the sign, I plan to send these out as thank you postcards after the honeymoon.

I LOVE the idea of stickers for the wedding party. Would a local print shop be able to make them? What a cute idea:)

OP-I debate back and forth about favors. My sister's favors where the cutest set of coasters that you could put pictures in....ours are in a box somewhere still in the original package with no pictures in them. I thought they would be such a cute addition to our home and we have sadly yet to use them. I am all about being practical and not wasting money. I want to give the guests something nice and something they will use, that also does not break the bank. Here are my thoughts

1.) Non sailing guests will receive a custom reusable shopping bag, not with our names or anything on it, perhaps an anchor on it. I am also having a dinner at the hotel the night before for all of the guests-something casual and catered...maybe even pizza. I have thought about buying anchor bottle openers and somehow tying them together with the shopping bag. Thoughts on the idea?

2.) Sailing guests will receive a shopping bag also, bottle opener and I think since so few are sailing I am going to give them a card with details and reserve a night in the steakhouse for us all to get together and eat. They are paying a ton to come on this cruise (its an 8 day) and it's the least we can do for them. Now...that being said...if my whole guest list was sailing, we could not afford this.

3.) Depending on the total number of sailing guests, I may fill their bag with cruise necessities, I am not there yet thought with planning stages:)

4.) We will be bringing onboard a sign of some sorts (chalkboard probably) with Thank You written on it and have the photographer take a picture of us holding the sign, I plan to send these out as thank you postcards after the honeymoon.

I first want to say I LOVE the idea of the reusable bag and anchor bottle opener!! That sounds very sweet and very practical! I know that if we go down the road of Wedding favors we will do a similar thing. its just that from my own experience with cruises I always have more stuff then room when it comes to packing up to go home and I don't want to buy stuff that take up room that could have gone to something else, so I do love the idea of doing like a beach bag (gives them more room to buy stuff lol).

I love love love the chalk board sign idea!!! do you mind if I steal it? :D

I also know that as of right now Carnival cruise loves us as we have close to 200 people sailing with us....

Thank you so much for taking time to give me your opinion :D:D:D

We did personalized Hershey's Bars. It was pretty inexpensive, small to pack and the guests could eat the candy-bar and save the wrapper (if they wanted)

The design I picked for the wrapper was the same design I created for our wedding cake topper (That never made it to the wedding LOL)

Do I think its tacky not to give something...yes and no. As others said, most people have to travel and or take vacation time to attend a destination wedding. Its nice to show them some appreciation. On the flip side, people understand that weddings cost a lot of money and giving you a trinket thats going to collect dust is not something they need or want.

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question!!!I love the idea to do something like this but I was under the impression that you cant bring any type of food products on a cruise due to agricultural stuff...is this not true?

We are doing favors. But I have to say, it was against my wishes. Before starting the wedding planning, I always was talking to people about wedding favors, how often the kept and how much they like it. I found out the always become something that will be seating in the corner for while until they put in the garbage.

But we end up going with luggage tags. A lot of people come from out of state and out of the country as well. I think is very nice of them to travel a long distance, but we also travel for their weddings.

What a wonderful and practical idea!!! I'm in the same idea I hate the idea of buying something for it to be thrown out...then again I'm cheap like that :p

This must have been so much fun!!! do you have any pics of the finished product? I would love some inspiration! I agree that is something I thought about I would hate to take up room in our bags or someone else at the end of the trip where they could have bought a souvenir or something to remember the trip... Thank you for taking time to answer my question :D

I've heard differing opinions. We're doing favors because several of the guests (even the non-sailors) are traveling long distances to attend, so we want to give them something special to remember the day. The pics in the thank you are also special (we'll probably do this for Christmas gifts because this wedding is going to wipe us out for the year) so I don't think it would be tacky at all.

It's your wedding. Do what makes YOU happy :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question :D I agree we have a LOT of people coming ,(close to 200 sailors) Haha Carnival Must love us right now. So we will think of something :D

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question!!!I love the idea to do something like this but I was under the impression that you cant bring any type of food products on a cruise due to agricultural stuff...is this not true?

I thought that too, but apparently "sealed" (ie factory wrapped) items are OK

I love love love the chalk board sign idea!!! do you mind if I steal it? :D[/color][/size][/font][/b]

I also know that as of right now Carnival cruise loves us as we have close to 200 people sailing with us....

Of course I don't mind if you steal it. And 200 guests???? That's incredible! I know you must be super happy about that:) I am trying to talk it up, but it's looking like we might only have 10 or so which severely limits my non sailing guest list...we shall see as it gets closer though!

You can bring pretty much whatever you want on the ship as long as it's sealed. The problem comes with taking things off the ship. That's why you aren't allowed/supposed to take your bouquet home. They are also picky about fruits, vegetables, nuts, and exotic animals (birds?). Hershey bars are completely acceptable to be taken off the ship as long as they're closed and in their original packaging.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I love love love the chalk board sign idea!!! do you mind if I steal it? :D[/color][/size][/font][/b]

Of course I don't mind if you steal it. And 200 guests???? That's incredible! I know you must be super happy about that:) I am trying to talk it up, but it's looking like we might only have 10 or so which severely limits my non sailing guest list...we shall see as it gets closer though!

Thank you so much!!! I am excited but nervous as all given lol this will be the first time both our families meet and if they don't get along for whatever reason they as stuck on a boat together for a week lol(my family has a flare and addiction to drama, drinking and fighting)...the funny part is I would have been happy with a court house wedding as this is both of our second weddings but he was like "No I want you in a dress flowers music the whole nine yards!!!" so here we are :D everyone is so excited so I am too...now lol.

You can bring pretty much whatever you want on the ship as long as it's sealed. The problem comes with taking things off the ship. That's why you aren't allowed/supposed to take your bouquet home. They are also picky about fruits, vegetables, nuts, and exotic animals (birds?). Hershey bars are completely acceptable to be taken off the ship as long as they're closed and in their original packaging.

Thank you sooo much!!! this has saved me such a headache lol...:D:D

So we finally decided to go forward with wedding favors and these are what we picked out. Thank you all for helping me out I really appreciate it :-)

These are what we have tentivly decided to go with all together they will com out to $3.00 a piece

w1.jpg.4cc62ef31849c5d627a9d44c3ded88d1.jpg

w2.jpg.a69c994cca6e0f6e3d2b9dc357d29273.jpg

We are doing the following for our cruise wedding favors bags,

T shirts for guest

Dramamine travel back 4 pills person

Sunglasses

Luggage tags

Lanyards for sea passes

Brochure with info for wedding and cruise info

Sunscreen in basket at the beach for the wedding and paint brushes to brush off the sand from feet

We are doing the following for our cruise wedding favors bags,

T shirts for guest

Dramamine travel back 4 pills person

Sunglasses

Luggage tags

Lanyards for sea passes

Brochure with info for wedding and cruise info

Sunscreen in basket at the beach for the wedding and paint brushes to brush off the sand from feet

This sounds wonderful!!! We have talked about waterproof cellphone/id cases so everyone can keep their id cards room keys and whatever else they want. We also found a site where you can get custom sunglasses for under a $1 a piece. I found a site where I can get material and am contemplating make flannel blankets for everyone so they can bring them to the deck during movies and what not... and I love the idea of sunscreen and brushes for the wedding :-)

Edited by Red84

We are doing 2 different favors, both unique & inexpensive. We're ordering bulk muslin bags & had a stamp made with our names & wedding date & anchor on it, we'll stamp the bags in purple(one of our wedding colors) & fill with salt water taffy. The other a cute custom Koozies with a cruise ship & date on it. Figured both practical & useable!

We are doing 2 different favors, both unique & inexpensive. We're ordering bulk muslin bags & had a stamp made with our names & wedding date & anchor on it, we'll stamp the bags in purple(one of our wedding colors) & fill with salt water taffy. The other a cute custom Koozies with a cruise ship & date on it. Figured both practical & useable!

Awww this sounds lovely!!! where did you go to get the Koozies?

We're doing mini "treasure chests" filled with gold chocolate coins and candies wrapped in jewel-tones. If I can find them, I'd like to include those chocolate bottles filled with liquor :p

All the decent looking treasure chest favors, at least the ones people would want to keep to store small items after the wedding, were kinda pricey, but we found some very nice, but inexpensive, little unfinished wooden boxes at Michaels. I'm going to stain them and put some gold leaf on them, the decoupage a thank you message on the inside. We'll see if they turn out as planned :eek: I'll post pics when they're done.

We also found a box at Hobby Lobby that looks just like a treasure chest. We're using that for our card box.

Edited by VASOXFANN

We're doing mini "treasure chests" filled with gold chocolate coins and candies wrapped in jewel-tones. If I can find them, I'd like to include those chocolate bottles filled with liquor :p

All the decent looking treasure chest favors, at least the ones people would want to keep to store small items after the wedding, were kinda pricey, but we found some very nice, but inexpensive, little unfinished wooden boxes at Michaels. I'm going to stain them and put some gold leaf on them, the decoupage a thank you message on the inside. We'll see if they turn out as planned :eek: I'll post pics when they're done.

We also found a box at Hobby Lobby that looks just like a treasure chest. We're using that for our card box.

I cant wait to see what they look like!!! they sounds great!!!