Distilled water for an infants formula, amount allowed to carry on.

My sister in law is bringing my 6 month old niece on our cruise aboard the Sunshine in August. She needs to make her formula with distilled water. Can she carry on the gallon jugs of distilled water? If not is it available on board or can you by it. Also I have never sailed with an infant, does anyone have any tips for my sister in law that make the cruise easier for her. Like something she should bring or not worry about? Thanks for any and all replies!

Thank you. Where do you purchase it at? The gift shop?

I never saw it in the gift shop, but I got mine from my room service/steward.

I read on here that the faucet water was pretty much good as distilled water, and I tried only using that the last 2 cruises. Normally with water not distilled, it left residue of what was in the water. I never had that show up with the ship's faucet water. So you have that option too if you don't want to pay the $3 for the bottle.

I traveled on a 7day with my then 10 month old. There is a link in my signature that has pictures if the crib and stroller and inflatable tub I used in the shower for bath time. We just brought a couple of cases of water and had more than enough

That is what I was thinking too. Distilled water is different than regular bottled water. Distilled water is what I use in a clothes iron for steam because it won't cause water spots due to not having minerals. Plus using any bottled water can be risky with infants because the chemicals in the plastic bottle can leach into the water and cause harm to infants. I've never personally seen distilled water on a Carnival ship. I've only seen regular bottled water. But I think people with CPAP machines can get distilled water from Carnival for a fee. Crystal Geyser is the bottled water brand you most often see onboard. She could purchase that from Bon Voyage in advance of the cruise:

http://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/XD9/natural-spring-water-large-bottles-8pack

The OP could call Carnival's special needs department to make arrangements if distilled water is essential. specialneeds@carnival.com is their email address.

Edited by winddawn

Folks, if the OP is making formula with distilled then all the concern about it leaching or not having minerals are gone. The formula takes care of that. Perhaps the OP doesn't want to say why but I could see if there is an auto-immune issue then making sure no micro-organisms are introduced in the formula.

I believe I've heard the ship desalinates and probably with an RO system so the water is probably fairly pure but that still is not even close to the same as distilled.

we too need distilled water for our upcoming cruise. Our travel agent said we could get it on board and to ask our steward- nominal charge (she guessed $5).

Our agent also put in a official request for an extension cord for the CPAP machine we will be bringing.

If you don't have a travel agent I would contact carnival special services and review any special needs you might have.