Barcelona SOS Mediterranean Greek Isle Cruise w/Paris and Copenhagen Review

I LOVE all of your pics from this stop, especially those of Tuscany, but this one is by far my favorite! If you don't get this one framed, well... all I can say is "bless your heart" :p:D

Melissa

[

ygybupyz.jpg

Here are some things that will always remind me of Niko: There are lots of trees, I forget there name, that look like what he called broccoli so he calls them broccoli trees. Also he calls everyone on scooters mosquitoes, lol. He says they are pesky and when they hit a car it is like splat. Very funny guy! He also loves everything American and so his friends call him Niko the American.

LOL - this cracked me up! We have tons of scooters where I live ( but not really the type of streets to support them... no shoulders) so this descriptions fit them perfectly. I think I will steal it from Niko... hope he won't mind :p:D

Melissa

babupuha.jpg

peja8e3a.jpg

This is such a great review and you are a beautiful family!!! I was on the same cruise last June and this brings back so many memories. I used RIL for all three Italy ports and we went to this same gelato store!!! I also used the same company in Cannes and we had Michel!! It's funny you said something about his driving because my friend was sooo scared the whole time and she was in the front seat!!!

Love this review and can't wait for more :):)

How far in advance did you book all of your tours? I'm definitely doing RIL in Italy and the third ring underground tour!

All my tours were booked by March, so 3 months. Yes, RIL is awesome. I know you will have a blast.

I LOVE all of your pics from this stop, especially those of Tuscany, but this one is by far my favorite! If you don't get this one framed, well... all I can say is "bless your heart" :p:D

Melissa

Haha! You are funny. "bless your heart". It definitely is one that I am framing.[emoji106]

LOL - this cracked me up! We have tons of scooters where I live ( but not really the type of streets to support them... no shoulders) so this descriptions fit them perfectly. I think I will steal it from Niko... hope he won't mind :p:D

Melissa

Really laughing out loud over here. Now I can ask you about the mosquitoes. [emoji1]

This is such a great review and you are a beautiful family!!! I was on the same cruise last June and this brings back so many memories. I used RIL for all three Italy ports and we went to this same gelato store!!! I also used the same company in Cannes and we had Michel!! It's funny you said something about his driving because my friend was sooo scared the whole time and she was in the front seat!!!

Love this review and can't wait for more :):)

Wow that is funny! As you already now it was truly an amazing cruise. And thank you for the compliments.

I left off with us enjoying our underground/third ring tour. *Sidenote*This is another location to use the facilities. The ladies line was long but moved fast and the stalls are tiny but clean.

We rushed back to meet everyone else and continue our day. We drove through the city taking in the neighborhoods and ruins all mixed in together. Maurico and Niko arranged lunch for all of us at a nice local spot. Needless to say we definitely had a leisurely Roman lunch with lots of laughs.

Slowly leaving our leisurely lunch in order to meet our guide at the Vatican, which we would be late for as that seemed to be the status for the day. :eek:

We were supposed to be at the Vatican around 2 but I think we arrived more like 2:30, however our guide was there waiting for us. Unfortunately I forget his name and will have to email RIL because he was fantastic!!!! I can not say enough good things about this guide. He met us outside and got us through security, even when some of the people in the group might not have been let in (if they really wanted to follow the strict clothing rules) if we all had not been with him. (examples are exposed shoulders and skirts or dresses whose lengths are just to the top of the knee) Once through security he scurried us away to receive our headsets and had us all check to make sure we could all hear him. Luckily he did as about 4 people had sets that were not working.

As we get up to were you enter we handed him all of our paper tickets so he could exchange them for real ones. The guide returns and tells a guest that they purchased the tickets for the day before. I felt so bad because remember earlier I had a situation at the Coliseum where everything did not go as smoothly as planned and we had to pay again after we already paid. The same thing happened here, they had to purchase tickets again. *sidenote* I tell this story to say that this cruise is extremely port intensive. Many people who take it plan things to do in each port and usually that includes purchasing tickets online way before the cruise to avoid the long lines and save time. Although I had a folder for everything and 2 spreadsheets I still continuously checked dates, prices, times etc. Please double triple check all of your information.

Everything worked out in a few minutes and we were on our way. Ciera was intrigued by Vatican City and only wished we were allowed to see more of it. Our guide was funny, intriguing and didn't just hit us with dates and facts. You could also see he was very passionate about the Vatican and it's history. aking to many others latter on the ship we must of just missed the large crowds as I was able to take many photos with no people in them at the Vatican. Yes, there were people there but we definitely had more than a few moments were you were in front of a tapestry or something by yourself for 10-20 seconds. I didn't feel rushed and was able to enjoy what we were seeing.

The guide also gave us different perspectives and on 2 pieces had us walk back and forth to see the actual intelligence of the artist beyond the beautiful piece of work. Of course the piece de resistance was the Sistine Chapel. It was absolutely amazing and although I was amazed it did not take my breath away or stun me like the David. I did have a tingle and was in amazement. It could have been I had seen so many pictures that were true to form and read how the story of it all reads. Anyhow, I enjoyed it none the less and would do it all over again given the chance.

Sometime right after we entered the Sistine Chapel, which you are NOT allowed to take pictures (they have a copyright and everything and remember you are in another country, Vatican City) with that said some where taking pictures and the guards just yelled at them, we lost a person. Or rather she lost us, either way when we exited we couldn't find her and she couldn't find us. Would we leave her? Would she make it back to the ship in time? Should we sacrifice one for the sake of the rest of us getting back in time? You shall soon find out.......

In the meantime we went on to St. Peter's Basilica. This is where I was stopped in my tracks, almost brought to tears, breath taken away etc. The Pieta! I think what made me feel really indescribable also about it was the back story our guide told us before we entered. He said many criticized Michelangelo for this piece because it wasn't realistic to size. The virgin Mary was much larger than Jesus in this statue and that would not have been the case then at his age of 33 when he was taken off the cross. Also the look on her face was not that of extreme sadness or the loss of a son. But what our guide explained was Michelangelo's thinking was beyond what you first see. It is of a mother holding her newborn (which is why she is bigger) with loving eyes knowing what his fate is to become and taking that as will. It really was powerful.

Up next pictures and the end of our day......

e3e5apag.jpg

be8yba8u.jpg

subypyha.jpg

Ceiling

yqy2ahe2.jpg

I forgot what material these were made out of. There are 2 and you can not find the material anywhere else in the world anymore.

As we all know many things were taken of importance by many people, countries then and what we saw only represented a sliver of what the Vatican actually has. I tend to wonder if these things were not taken would the have been salvaged.

ma4agy8y.jpg

2u8apave.jpg

yjezaju2.jpg

Here are some pictures of the stunning ceilings. As you walk down the halls it seems like the ceilings were done the opposite way, and they were because they were done for the Pope who enters from the opposite side to enjoy.

u2y2u2ur.jpg

heqazepy.jpg

y7uqu7a7.jpg

jy5unepu.jpg

ytuduqe4.jpg

he7ybuby.jpg

That is paint! I know it looks 3D but it is flat.

yjavura5.jpg

Same here

uvydatu9.jpg

And here

u4y3yvap.jpg

ypatetu8.jpg

One of the pieces the guide had us walk past multiple times. The table and Jesus move to face you at each point you walk past. Just amazing!

mahe5ypy.jpg

Hi Ayasha,

Well here we are again. This is where it all started for me ... planning my Mediterranean cruise!

What a fantastic review so far! It's almost as good as actually being there and certainly brings back lots of wonderful memories.

Hi to you and your family and also to anyone else here who was on this cruise and was part of your "elite touring group".

Your photos are great and your witty descriptions really bring them to life. You have some fantastic shots of the Serenade - much better than mine.

Wasn't our Vatican guide called Luigi? He was extremely knowledgeable and entertaining at the same time.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of your review and can't wait for the next bit. :)

All the best,

Margaret

Hi Ayasha,

Well here we are again. This is where it all started for me ... planning my Mediterranean cruise!

What a fantastic review so far! It's almost as good as actually being there and certainly brings back lots of wonderful memories.

Hi to you and your family and also to anyone else here who was on this cruise and was part of your "elite touring group".

Your photos are great and your witty descriptions really bring them to life. You have some fantastic shots of the Serenade - much better than mine.

Wasn't our Vatican guide called Luigi? He was extremely knowledgeable and entertaining at the same time.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of your review and can't wait for the next bit. :)

All the best,

Margaret

Hi Margaret! !!!!![emoji112]

Thank you! You guys helped make it elite!

Was it Luigi? I think you are right. He was amazing! Maybe we'll see each other on a future cruise. I sure hope so.