Advice on Neutral Density filters

Howdy, CC Photo Gurus. I come before you seeking advice on selecting a ND filter. I thought I could get away without one on our last cruise, but simply dragging the shutter didn't cut the mustard. I'm looking for those feathery waterfall and seascape shots. One thing I noticed in my research is that they're available in different strengths, which is where I could really use the advice.

I'm currently looking at a Singh-Ray George Lepp or a B+W, both single-coated. If there's something else I should consider, please let me know. Thanks!

Howdy, CC Photo Gurus. I come before you seeking advice on selecting a ND filter. I thought I could get away without one on our last cruise, but simply dragging the shutter didn't cut the mustard. I'm looking for those feathery waterfall and seascape shots. One thing I noticed in my research is that they're available in different strengths, which is where I could really use the advice.

I'm currently looking at a Singh-Ray George Lepp or a B+W, both single-coated. If there's something else I should consider, please let me know. Thanks!

Singh-Ray and B+W are both at the top of the food chain. How many stops you will need is hard to tell. They make variable ones, but those have reviews form greet to bad. I have a set of 3 (4,3,2 stops) that i can stack to make up to a 9 stop if needed. Mine are just a cheap Tifton set, but they work fine for as little as I use them. Just make sure whatever way you go you get the largest size for you lenses and just but step rings to adapt them to your smaller lenses.

I see you are in Houston, I would just stop into Houston Camera Exchange and grab a cheap set and see which ones you use the most then maybe get a good one of that strength. No need to drop big money on a filter you will never use because it is not or too strong for what you are trying to achieve.

I started with a B&W 3-stop ND, and it's served me well. I felt that 1 or 2 stops wasn't enough, as I could probably fake that much with overexposure and pull-back in post, etc. I've been very happy with it, but added a 6-stop for times when I wanted more effect. I occasionally use the 3-stop, I rarely use the 6-stop, and I never use both.

For our upcoming Alaska cruise, I'll throw them into the bag, but only take them along if I have a tripod.

I'm fighting my urge to "go big," which I often do with camera gear. My budget says the Tiffen Variable is just fine, but that Vari-N-Trio looks awfully good. :D I cannot justify a $550 filter, though.

You could also do a homemade 'poor man's' variable ND filter - buy one linear polarizer, and one circular polarizer - put the linear on first, then the circular on top. As you move the circular polarizer's ring, you will go from a light 1-2 stop ND effect all the way to nearly complete blackout. I haven't done this in a long time, but it worked in a pinch years ago!

I use a 2 stop, 4 stop, and 9 stop ND filter - I usually don't stack, I just pick the one I need for the given situation. When I want to really do daytime long exposures, I stick with the 9-stopper, as it will allow me to use low ISO and fairly large apertures for shallow depth of field, and still run shutter speeds into the seconds...or I can stop down the lens to F18-22 or so, and run 20 second daylight exposures in broad daylight.

Thank you all for the advice. I took some recommendations and did more research. Stacking doesn't really appeal to me, so I ordered the Tiffen Variable ND, which I saw stood up very well against the Singh Ray at less than half the price. We shall see. I also picked up a cheap timer trigger. I figure I have a little less than three months to practice before Canada & New England, and if the trigger turns out to be a bust, I'll still have time to pick up the TC-80N3 remote.

Thank you all for the advice. I took some recommendations and did more research. Stacking doesn't really appeal to me, so I ordered the Tiffen Variable ND, which I saw stood up very well against the Singh Ray at less than half the price. We shall see. I also picked up a cheap timer trigger. I figure I have a little less than three months to practice before Canada & New England, and if the trigger turns out to be a bust, I'll still have time to pick up the TC-80N3 remote.

Enjoy New England. I was born and raised in Maine (heading back up there at the end of the month for a class reunion :eek: ) I really miss it up there, especially this time of year....not so much in Jan/Feb though. :D Hopefully I can move back up there in a year or two. This summer heat is kicking my......:mad:

Enjoy New England. I was born and raised in Maine (heading back up there at the end of the month for a class reunion :eek: ) I really miss it up there, especially this time of year....not so much in Jan/Feb though. :D Hopefully I can move back up there in a year or two. This summer heat is kicking my......:mad:

I hear you. I'm out in it all day and frequently soak through my clothes before I leave the house.