A day in New York

rula40

I am doing the back to back trip to NY on QM2 (less than 3 weeks and can't wait) I would very much like to visit Ground Zero and pay my respects. I know we dock at 6am and appreciate that Border control will take some time.

Does anyone know the best way to get from Port to Ground Zero, Should we take a cab? and how far is it roughly.

Thanks,

Phil

What a nice thought, rula 40.

Once all is clear, "in-transits" may walk off the ship. There in front of the pier is the West Side Drive and you're at 50th Street.

That early, taxis may well not be at the pier.....or they could be. I always walk across the highway and grab a taxi heading uptown and crosstown. You could try waiting at the traffic light; if taxis see you and can, they'll stop.

Or you could walk right, down to the aircraft carrier attraction where is a taxi stand & lots of them. I did that about six weeks ago after a departure and traffic was HEAVY: getting down to 10th Street cost $15. More, of course, for on down to Ground Zero.

New York is such an easy city to get about. You could walk across 50th or 49th Street over to 8th Avenue and take the subway downtown, $2. Or go on over into Times Square and take the 7th Ave. local down.

If traffic is light, you'll shoot downtown for not a lot of money. If traffic is heavy, fare can be costly. Your call. The subway's safe & fast. Do it one way, just for the experience?

As well, you might be underway by 10 o'clock and you will have the day to walk about a few major areas of the city you can easily get to via taxi or train. I hope you enjoy your day.

(I really like that you're doing back-to-back crossings,,,,very cool!)

(See and use our river, turned into a toy for us this last decade........if you go to the Village, go down to the 10th Street pier and out to under that tent-top thing......see the river traffic. When you depart, when you're downriver and opposite that pier, the only one with the white tent, you'll know you were just there. That'll be me waving in the upriver corner!):)

What a nice thought, rula 40.

Once all is clear, "in-transits" may walk off the ship. There in front of the pier is the West Side Drive and you're at 50th Street.

That early, taxis may well not be at the pier.....or they could be. I always walk across the highway and grab a taxi heading uptown and crosstown. You could try waiting at the traffic light; if taxis see you and can, they'll stop.

Or you could walk right, down to the aircraft carrier attraction where is a taxi stand & lots of them. I did that about six weeks ago after a departure and traffic was HEAVY: getting down to 10th Street cost $15. More, of course, for on down to Ground Zero.

New York is such an easy city to get about. You could walk across 50th or 49th Street over to 8th Avenue and take the subway downtown, $2. Or go on over into Times Square and take the 7th Ave. local down.

If traffic is light, you'll shoot downtown for not a lot of money. If traffic is heavy, fare can be costly. Your call. The subway's safe & fast. Do it one way, just for the experience?

As well, you might be underway by 10 o'clock and you will have the day to walk about a few major areas of the city you can easily get to via taxi or train. I hope you enjoy your day.

(I really like that you're doing back-to-back crossings,,,,very cool!)

(See and use our river, turned into a toy for us this last decade........if you go to the Village, go down to the 10th Street pier and out to under that tent-top thing......see the river traffic. When you depart, when you're downriver and opposite that pier, the only one with the white tent, you'll know you were just there. That'll be me waving in the upriver corner!):)

Thanks for the tips for in transit passengers!! We are lucky enough to be visiting New York twice, so one trip is going to be sightseeing and the other is going to be for shopping!!

Elaine

I live downtown and worked on Broadway (2ish blocks form the Towers) in 2001. Personally, if I only had a day in NYC I would spend it enjoying the great things that the city offers. There is so much life and history here that it seems a shame to frame your trip in the context of 911. But that is just my two cents.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy NYC - the Capital of the World!

BTW another way to get to the Financial Center is by taking the water taxi - I think it is aobut $10 pp but is a fun way to get downtown from 44th st. Here is the link

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/nywt.aspx?s=sch&c=pier84

I live downtown and worked on Broadway (2ish blocks form the Towers) in 2001. Personally, if I only had a day in NYC I would spend it enjoying the great things that the city offers. There is so much life and history here that it seems a shame to frame your trip in the context of 911. But that is just my two cents.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy NYC - the Capital of the World!

BTW another way to get to the Financial Center is by taking the water taxi - I think it is aobut $10 pp but is a fun way to get downtown from 44th st. Here is the link

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/nywt.aspx?s=sch&c=pier84

Agree with all. We actually call it The Pit, because that is just what it is: a construction site with vendors’ hawking cheap looking (but costly) "souvenirs" commemorating the day. Adjacent you will find the remains of Deustche Bank, which is covering in black netting waiting to be dismantled piece by piece. It cannot be imploded as there are too many poisonous substances contained within.

I agree totally with you, and as for the vendors and street hawkers are concerned, I will not be buying any souvenirs at Ground Zero.

I feel that I need to take time out to pay my respects at the site, then I will take in as much of the city as my wife will allow, in between shopping, shopping and more than likely more shopping.:eek:

I think the water taxi sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

Archived