Price of soda on Breeze

tbrenk1973

I am trying to see if a soda card is worth the money for myself. How much do they charge per soda on the Breeze?

Thanks!

Rate type = Child

Rate Per day = $4.50

Total (7 day cruise - including gratuity) = $36.23

Cost per soda = $1.95 (plus gratuity)

Breakeven (rounded up) = 17 sodas during the cruise

Rate type = Adult

Rate Per day = $6.00

Total (7 day cruise) = $48.30

Breakeven (rounded up) = 22 sodas during the cruise

Rate type = Child

Rate Per day = $4.50

Total (7 day cruise - including gratuity) = $36.23

Breakeven (rounded up) = 17 sodas during the cruise

Rate type = Adult

Rate Per day = $6.00

Total (7 day cruise) = $48.30

Breakeven (rounded up) = 22 sodas during the cruise

I love the breakdown chart

BUT

is it fair to compare cans (when you buy it by individual cans) vs. fountain soda (which you get when you buy the soda card)?

I am a Coke addict (yes, I know it is bad for me---my doctor tells me every visit). I drink Coke in cans most of the time and infrequently in plastic bottles. I hate, hate fountain Coke.

Last time I bought a soda card, I was given a small glass with a ton of ice and little Coke. So it meant many, many trips to get my "fix". Very few bartenders would decrease the ice and I could never get a whole can. It was so inconvenient. Now I carry on 2 12 packs that cost me about $6-$8 at the store.

BUT

is it fair to compare cans (when you buy it by individual cans) vs. fountain soda (which you get when you buy the soda card)?

I am a Coke addict (yes, I know it is bad for me---my doctor tells me every visit). I drink Coke in cans most of the time and infrequently in plastic bottles. I hate, hate fountain Coke.

Last time I bought a soda card, I was given a small glass with a ton of ice and little Coke. So it meant many, many trips to get my "fix". Very few bartenders would decrease the ice and I could never get a whole can. It was so inconvenient. Now I carry on 2 12 packs that cost me about $6-$8 at the store.

Very good point.... I have never used the Bottomless Bubbles program. I was researching (for my 7-year-old daughter) and had that info at hand.

So, are you telling me that $1.95 (plus tip) gets you a 12 ounce can, but if I use the Bottomless Bubbles program I get a small cup (less than 12 ounces) with ice and fountain soda?? :eek:

That is good info to know (and something Carnival is not forthcoming with).

Thanks for the update!

Very good point.... I have never used the Bottomless Bubbles program. I was researching (for my 7-year-old daughter) and had that info at hand.

So, are you telling me that $1.95 (plus tip) gets you a 12 ounce can, but if I use the Bottomless Bubbles program I get a small cup (less than 12 ounces) with ice and fountain soda?? :eek:

That is good info to know (and something Carnival is not forthcoming with).

Thanks for the update!

Yes, that was my experience. But, it has been several years since I bought my last soda card. I also bought the insulated mug for refills. I just now filled that insulated mug with water, without ice and it held 12 ounces of water without ice.

I buy a bottomless soda program every cruise - they take all their sodas now out of cans. If I am on Lido, I go to the bar and ask for a Coke Zero - I can basically get a full can with ice in my reusable cup. If I don't have my cup, it is a little less than a can so I take a few sips, as the bartender to top me off and presto, full can.

You have to get ice as the sodas are warm.

When in the MDR, I always got a full can with dinner. On 2 of my cruises, the bar staff in the MDR would have one ready for us within 5 minutes of getting there and then give us a can to go :) He got a HUGE tip at the end of the cruise.

For me, I don't want to lug around 12 packs of soda for a few hours that first day so it's worth it for me.

It includes unlimited soft drinks and juices.

Yes, an individual soft drink will cost you 1.95 plus the 15 percent autotip but I drink a few sodas at lunch, late afternoon snack, dinner, and late evening activities so the card is more than worth it for me. The $60 or whatever it will cost me on the 8-day southern Breeze trip coming in September is $60 very well spent for me. I would do carryon soda but even two cases (one for each cruiser in my cabin) probably wouldn't be enough for us and I don't mind paying upfront to have all the soda I want.

Now, I have never had a problem with too much ice in the cup as long as I politely ask the bartender to not put so much ice in the cup before pouring the soda. I like a little ice but not too much to water the drink down. The soda is poured warm out of a can on ships without fountains so you do need a little ice. Worst case scenario, get a coke with no ice and then put your own desired ice in with it at the lido buffet drink station. They will work with you if you specifically ask them not to overfill the cup with ice, trust me.

I buy a bottomless soda program every cruise - they take all their sodas now out of cans. If I am on Lido, I go to the bar and ask for a Coke Zero - I can basically get a full can with ice in my reusable cup. If I don't have my cup, it is a little less than a can so I take a few sips, as the bartender to top me off and presto, full can.

You have to get ice as the sodas are warm.

When in the MDR, I always got a full can with dinner. On 2 of my cruises, the bar staff in the MDR would have one ready for us within 5 minutes of getting there and then give us a can to go :) He got a HUGE tip at the end of the cruise.

For me, I don't want to lug around 12 packs of soda for a few hours that first day so it's worth it for me.

It includes unlimited soft drinks and juices.

The bartenders are there to take care of giving you your drink the way you want it. Just ask them and they will take care of you. I do it all the time. And at dinner, beginning on the second night, a lot of bar guys will give me two cans of coke and a huge cup of ice on the side so they don't have to come around multiple times during the event for me. And yes, they usually get a nice tip from me as well if they do their jobs well. Sometimes they see me in the comedy club also and they do remember me, although I usually order a punchliner and not soda when at the funny guy shows. I don't mind carrying on the case of soda but 12 cans just isn't enough for me if the cruise is longer than 3 or 4 days. It's a peace of mind for me to get the bottomless bubbles. I don't spend a whole lot more onboard on other stuff and this way, I know I can drink as much as I want whenever I want.

BUT

Agreed ! and very well said.. I also drink Coke (diet coke) from the can.. and hate fountain pop.. Depending on your preference, you'd be better off to bring your own case of cans onboard, or buy the cans on the ship. Your room will automatically come with 2 cans already - if you drink them they are billed to your sail and sign card - then you can buy from the bar during the day. The room steward will replenish the two cans each day during room cleaning, etc.. and you can ask him/her to fill your ice bucket as well. I found I drank 3-4 cans per day on average.. brought my own Teva cup with straw from home and got ice from my cabin each morning and evening and filled up my ice at the Lido throughout the day - very convenient, you don't need to ask the bar for ice.