new to NCL questions

Hi all, new cruise line for us :D and we trying to get all the information asap so we can make a choice of room(s) and the dinning. We don't book with a travel agent, we do it all ourselves so i am in a big learning curve here with learning the ins and outs of NCL.

is it better to book a suite with 2 people in it and then wait for the kids sale free promotion as we are a group of 4 adults and put the other two in when the sale comes out? Is there a big price difference for booking 2 now or 4 now? Then waiting for the promotion to change the booking?

if we book a suite which suites classification gets to eat at cagney for breakfast and lunch?

If we purchase the dinning package, it is only for dinner? Do you book all you dinning choices before boarding and times?

Is there anytime dinning in the MDR or just set times?

Can you prebook chefs dinner? Do all ships have chefs dinner? How many seatings do they have and how many people each sitting? Is there one night each cruise ie. 4th night 7 night cruise? Trying to wrap my head around trying to prebook our dining room choices around chefs dinner.

pop / soda are we allowed to bring some with us when we first come aboard?

We do tip extra for great service but is there a difference in manditory tip pool for a regular balcony room and a suite?

thanks all, looking very forward to sailing NCL

[quote name='seeing this world']Hi all, new cruise line for us :D and we trying to get all the information asap so we can make a choice of room(s) and the dinning. We don't book with a travel agent, we do it all ourselves so i am in a big learning curve here with learning the ins and outs of NCL.

is it better to book a suite with 2 people in it and then wait for the kids sale free promotion as we are a group of 4 adults and put the other two in when the sale comes out? Is there a big price difference for booking 2 now or 4 now? Then waiting for the promotion to change the booking?

if we book a suite which suites classification gets to eat at cagney for breakfast and lunch?

[COLOR="Red"]All suites get breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. [/COLOR]

If we purchase the dinning package, it is only for dinner? Do you book all you dinning choices before boarding and times?

[COLOR="red"]Dinner only. [/COLOR]

Is there anytime dinning in the MDR or just set times?

[COLOR="red"]It's Freestyle. No set times. [/COLOR]

Can you prebook chefs dinner? Do all ships have chefs dinner? How many seatings do they have and how many people each sitting? Is there one night each cruise ie. 4th night 7 night cruise? Trying to wrap my head around trying to prebook our dining room choices around chefs dinner.

[COLOR="red"]Chef's Table needs to be booked on board. 12 people per sitting. Seems to be offered twice during a seven day cruise. [/COLOR]

pop / soda are we allowed to bring some with us when we first come aboard?

[COLOR="red"]Yes. [/COLOR]

We do tip extra for great service but is there a difference in manditory tip pool for a regular balcony room and a suite?

[COLOR="red"]No. But the butler and concierge are not part of the tip pool, so you'd want to plan on tips for them. [/COLOR]

thanks all, looking very forward to sailing NCL[/QUOTE]

Answered what I could!

[quote name='seeing this world']Hi all, new cruise line for us :D and we trying to get all the information asap so we can make a choice of room(s) and the dinning. We don't book with a travel agent, we do it all ourselves so i am in a big learning curve here with learning the ins and outs of NCL.

is it better to book a suite with 2 people in it and then wait for the kids sale free promotion as we are a group of 4 adults and put the other two in when the sale comes out? Is there a big price difference for booking 2 now or 4 now? Then waiting for the promotion to change the booking? [COLOR="DarkOrchid"] I'll let someone more adept at answering booking questions answer this for you. The only thing I will add is that sometimes you will be unable to add extra passengers to a cabin once that area's lifeboats are deemed "full". Plus, the price of 3rd and 4th passengers usually rises as the sailing date gets closer. Happened to us last year - had the garden Villa booked for only two (hadn't decided who else was coming). When we looked at adding pax just before final payment, the price had risen to almost $2000 pp for 3rd and 4th. We ended up canceling the cruise. [/COLOR]

if we book a suite which suites classification gets to eat at cagney for breakfast and lunch? [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]any suite with a designator S or H has access to whatever restaurant is being used for suite breakfast and lunch.[/COLOR]

If we purchase the dinning package, it is only for dinner? Do you book all you dinning choices before boarding and times? [COLOR="DarkOrchid"] haven't used the dining package, but basically the specialty restaurants are generally open for dinner only. Occasionally they may be serving lunch on sea days, but don't know if that would be included.[/COLOR]

Is there anytime dinning in the MDR or just set times? [COLOR="DarkOrchid"] all dining rooms on NCL ships work like a regular restaurant on land. You basically just show up for the MDRs and are seated or wait a bit for a table. You can now reserve a time at some MDRs, but don't know exactly how this works as I've never done it - and I've noticed that reserved times are generally either early or later.[/COLOR]

Can you prebook chefs dinner? Do all ships have chefs dinner? How many seatings do they have and how many people each sitting? Is there one night each cruise ie. 4th night 7 night cruise? Trying to wrap my head around trying to prebook our dining room choices around chefs dinner. [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]i have done two Chef's Dinners, and they were on different nights on different ships based on the sailing schedule. Ours had approx 12 diners at each. You cannot pre-reserve a seat, it must be done onboard. If you are in a suite, the concierge can book it for you - ask them when you check in.[/COLOR]

pop / soda are we allowed to bring some with us when we first come aboard?[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Yes, you can bring unlimited soda on boarding.[/COLOR]

We do tip extra for great service but is there a difference in manditory tip pool for a regular balcony room and a suite?[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]the regular DSC applies to all cabins. Suite passengers are responsible for tipping their butler, concierge, Haven butler, etc separately, since they are not included in the DSC. (Kid's club staff, bartenders, spa are also not included in the DSC - additional gratuity is automatically added to bar and spa bills.[/COLOR]

thanks all, looking very forward to sailing NCL[/QUOTE]

Hope that helps!

Robin Edited by Fishbait17

[quote name='Va. Plumber']The Cagney's perk does not apply to mini suites.

Not cetain, but I would think the KSF promo would only apply to new reservations.[/QUOTE]

It depends. I have friends who did what the OP proposes. Added their kids to their cabin when KSF went into effect. However, I imagine there are times, like you said, that it only applies to new bookings. I guess you could take the shot but be aware it may not work.

If you are traveling with kids and want a 2br suite, book it as soon as you know your dates. Our Getaway cruise increased a lot before the category sold out.
This was even for the additional passengers.

You can always try canceling and re- booking or "ahem" renegotiating if a special comes up .

Regarding chefs table-
Let the pre- concierge know that this is something in which you may be interested. They won't book it for you, but will make a notation. For whatever a notation is worth! Edited by DrNora